Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Tamron 17-50 to Canon 15-85?

Jim Victory
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tamron 17-50 to Canon 15-85?

I have owned 2 copies of the 15-85 and both didn't creep and were sharp wide open at all FL. As far as distortion and vignetting goes that is easily corrected in post.

Great range and I wouldn't be selling mine if I still had a 1.6x camera. Every bit as good as my 24-105.

Jim

Dec 23, 2011 at 09:35 AM
Strid3r
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tamron 17-50 to Canon 15-85?

Well, not surprisingly, there are fans of both lenses. I think I'll run down to Showcase Photo and give this lens a try and see how I find the barrel distortion and vignetting. I appreciate all of the opinions here and I think I am pretty clear as to the pros and cons of each lens now.

Thanks.

Mike

Dec 23, 2011 at 02:32 PM
jrscls
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tamron 17-50 to Canon 15-85?

Owned both of these lenses. I would probably opt for the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS if it were me. I have since gone all full frame, so no more crop only lenses in my collection.

Dec 23, 2011 at 02:59 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tamron 17-50 to Canon 15-85?

I recommend reading this review. It corresponds to the results I have found on the 15-85 IS, which is that it is an outstanding lens, superior IQ to the 17-50 Tamron. It is one of the best Canon lenses I've ever used, and distortion and vignetting are easily corrected in PP. The complete article is very informative.

http://www.lenstip.com/220.4-Lens_review-Canon_EF-S_15-85_mm_f_3.5-5.6_IS_USM_Image_resolution.html

Dec 23, 2011 at 05:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tamron 17-50 to Canon 15-85?

I've had both. And as others have said, it really depends on what you want. When I had the Tammy, I liked the 2.8 and the sharpness. However, I didn't like the AF and the range. So I looked into the Canon 15-85mm. It has its ups and downs, just like any other lens. Sure, it's slow to really slow when you compare to the constant 2.8. But I really loved the IS, USM, and range. I was not bothered much by things like vignetting and barrel distortion for my shooting. I really liked the wide angle side, 15mm 3.5 with IS vs 17mm 2.8 without, I took the 15mm. Of course, I made this decision when the Tamron VC was in the $600 range, now you can find it for a lot less and that adds to the trouble of your decision.

Both (3?) lenses are fantastic for the price and have fans throughout. The reason you're having such a hard time is, they're all good and you can't really go wrong (price/performance wise). You really have to decide what's better for you.

Also, I found 2.8 to not be fast enough indoors anyways, so I bought the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and love that lens as well.

Dec 23, 2011 at 09:18 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tamron 17-50 to Canon 15-85?

Gunzorro wrote:
I recommend reading this review. It corresponds to the results I have found on the 15-85 IS, which is that it is an outstanding lens, superior IQ to the 17-50 Tamron. It is one of the best Canon lenses I've ever used, and distortion and vignetting are easily corrected in PP. The complete article is very informative.

http://www.lenstip.com/220.4-Lens_review-Canon_EF-S_15-85_mm_f_3.5-5.6_IS_USM_Image_resolution.html

In fairness sites like this are subject o as much copy variation as we are. Tdp loved the 15-85 and clearly had a horrible copy of the sigma...the opposite of my experience.

Dec 23, 2011 at 09:49 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tamron 17-50 to Canon 15-85?

Yeah, it was a frustrating one, but most likely a dud. Too many people have great things to say about it. I sent it back to canon and they said it was "within factory parameters" I disclosed my issues with it and ended up selling it. It's funny how one bad experience with something can taint your whole outlook.

surf monkey wrote:
Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion and others can disagree, but you shouldn't get flamed for your honest comments. Like I said I've never owned the 15-85, my comments were in regards to the OP's initial take on what he wanted and didn't want, mostly in regards to not needing a fast aperture and wanting the bigger focal range.

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:35 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password