Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

AndreasE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Got the FT1 adapter today.
Connecting the system 1 cameras with the f-mount Nikkor lenses.

A quick summary of initial impressions:
Fits nicely to the camera - size, finish, thightness ...

Unsurprisingly, fast lenses support the AF performance significantly. I did some shots in a mall and the 1.8 aperture allowed faster AF responses than with the kit lenses (of course). AF precision with the DX/FX lenses is where it should be with DSLRs. spot on. No front/back focus with those lenses I used so far.

Tried 3 lenses until now:
AFS 35mm/1.8G DX - Can't provide enough resolution for the small sensor when used wide open. Stopping down the aperture by 1-2 stops solves this. Flip side: The benefit of a fast lens is gone when you need to stop down. Strong LoCA. CNX2 does a good job of removing it and it need to be removed.

AFS 35mm/1.4G: What a difference to the lens above (I know it is also significantly more expensive). Wide open, the lens seems to allow the sensor to capture great detail which is not possible with the 35mm/1.8G. This lens has also LoCA, but to a significant lesser degree.

AFS 70-200mm/2.8 VR II: If my very first shot is any indication, some long distance shooters will try this combo (and potentially love it)

Setup:
V1 + FT1 + AFS 70-200mm/2.8 VR II
focal length: 200mm (equiv 540mm) - minus focusbreathing at close distance (5m)
Aperture: f 2.8
Shutter speed: 1/6 sec (remember the vibration zone?)
Distance: 5 Meter (17 ft)

100% crop of a simple paper. First try.
To put things in perspective: The height of the "2" in "2mm" is about 3mm (1/8inch). 5 meter apart

For context: That's the full image (reduced in size)

I am impressed by:
1) The ability of the lens to provide good resolution at f2.8
2) How easy it is to shoot at 1/6 sec and equiv. 540mm
3) The focus accuracy (vs numerous front/backfocus issues with DSLRs)

rgds,
Andy

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM
myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

I appreciate the report! Do you have any real shots with the 70-200??

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Mike Yamin wrote:
I appreciate the report! Do you have any real shots with the 70-200??

Sure. Sorry for the boring subjects, but it is midnight over here.

Just to be clear on the postprocessing:
Taken from the RAW file, sharpening in-camera set to 0, All sharpening in CNX2 set to 0 as well. Did only WB and exposure correction -0.5EV. No other postprocessing.

AFS 70-200mm/2.8 VR II
f5.6, 1/2 sec, 200mm. Distance ca. 3 meter (10ft)

Full resolution

100% crop

Enjoy,
Andy

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:02 PM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Sorry for being so demanding Andy! That looks really good though... the V1 might just become my new teleconverter someday.

Edited on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:31 AM · View previous versions

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:18 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Andy -

I'm puzzled by the 35/1.8G not giving enough resolution. The Photozone tests on the D7K show very excellent center resolution wide open. Now by my calcs the V1 has about 40% more linear resolution, so this may be the culprit.
However, I did try a 35/1.8G on my D700 the other day and found it very lacking in center resolution wide open. I wonder if there is some sample issues or the need for AF fine tuning going on here.

Could the V1 + adapter be using phase detect AF for the most part? Could there be any focusing accuracy issues that would not be found with a native lens for this format?

Just wondering since I've been thinking of getting a 35/1.8G for close-in candids with my D700.

John

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:40 PM
niXer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

This is very exciting. Now if the price could come down on the V1 + FT-1 and maybe a new body that has more manual or at least traditional controls.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Here is a sample with the AiS 105mm/2.5.

It is probably one of the most compact 280mm setups ....

Taken with the 105mm lens

Looking at the full size image, I'd say that the 105mm does not get to the level of resolution as the AFS 70-200mm. Personally, I would not care, resolution is not the only thing, but the size and total "package" is such a great handling experience (due to the small diameter of the barrel). I really like it ...

Andy

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

There seems to be new opportunities at the long end.

1200mm + tc301 + V1 = 6.480mm
Why the heck are we counting focal lenght in mm? Should be in meter
The moon is to close, need to look for something a bit away ....

Andy

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:22 AM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Do you make your own grenades as well?

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:55 AM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

jhinkey wrote:
Andy -

I'm puzzled by the 35/1.8G not giving enough resolution.
Could the V1 + adapter be using phase detect AF for the most part? Could there be any focusing accuracy issues that would not be found with a native lens for this format?

John,
I reserve the right to err, as I didn't have enough time with the setup. What was consistent with the images at f1.8 or f2, that they appear sharp from a focussing perspective, yet in 100% crops a haze covers the details. I have quite a few old lenses where this behavior comes up, when you gradually increase the resolution of the camera attached to it (i.e from a D1, to a D1x, to D2x to D7000).

Just one example (this is not the only one)
resized, ISO 125, f1.8, 1/125 sec

100% crop

I had only the AFS 35mm/1.8G with me when I picked up the FT1 adapter. Trying at home, the AFS 35mm/1.4G did not display this behavior. When I have time, I will look into this.

Bye,
Andy

Edited on Dec 22, 2011 at 01:13 AM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2011 at 01:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

myam203
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Is that real?!? Try to get a shot of some kid picking his nose in an airplane window haha...

Dec 22, 2011 at 01:11 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

AndreasE wrote:
John,
I reserve the right to err, as I didn't have enough time with the setup. What was consistent with the images at f1.8 or f2, that they appear sharp from a focussing perspective, yet in 100% crops a haze covers the details. I have quite a few old lenses where this behavior comes up, when you gradually increase the resolution of the camera attached to it (i.e from a D1, to a D1x, to D2x to D7000).

Just one example (this is not the only one)
resized, ISO 125, f1.8, 1/125 sec

100% crop

I had only the AFS 35mm/1.8G with me when I
...Show more

Some residual spherical aberrations perhaps? Yes, I see the same thing with some of my older lenses too. Definitely looks soft at 100% and don't see anything else in the scene that looks any sharper. Keep us up to date . . .

John

Dec 22, 2011 at 01:22 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

I just checked in more detail the test shots I took with the store display case 35/1.8G on my D700 and upon closer inspection found that this particular sample had really really bad decentering. The whole left hand side of the frame was blurry while the right side was very very good even wide open. Of course things evened out as I stopped down. Perhaps yours is a bit sub par? Though I don't seen anything obviously wrong with the image of the girl you showed other than not being terribly sharp at 100%.

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:51 AM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

A quick update:
I think some will be pleasantly surprised (and others potentially not).

I checked today a couple of lenses. The older lenses had a harder time coping with the resolution requirements of the small sensor. More modern ones could go better along.

One example: My most modern 400mm/2.8 is the AFS 400mm/2.8 type 1. Even this stellar performer on DX and FX cameras had a hard time to provide sharp photos at f2.8 (at pixel level). Stop it down by one stop and - voila. For technical perfect photos there will be some things to consider - physics haven't changed. But this not my key point. What is a game changer is the simplicity to get to decent images. The combination of the AF system of the V1 and the motor of the lens is fast. It is really fast. At least at the level of the D3s if not even faster. Basically it snaps into focus the moment you press the shutter. Impressive.

The second game changer is the need for a sturdy tripod for long range images. Don't get me wrong on this one. Sturdy tripods are a good thing (except to lug them around). But how often have someone dared to extend the center pole of the Gitzo 1228 with a 400x2.7 (1080mm)setup? It is not recommended, but if you do it on a day without wind, it won't screw up your photo the way it happens with DSLRs. Sometimes there are up to 20 sec of settle down times for vibrations to go away, so take the remote instead of the timer (which is limited to 10 sec). Again, this is not a call to forget good techniques, it is rather a heads up, that the the detrimental impact on a CX based system is smaller if not considered.

The 400mm provides at f4 reasonable shallow DOF at closer distances (5-20 Meter) with the V1. Haven't had a chance to check the visual impression at longer distances vs. i.e. a FX or DX Camera. Has to be seen. At f2.8 DOF would be even better, but my copy of the AFS shows clear signs of resolution limitations. I'll stick with f4 at least with this lens.

All DOF considerations put aside, the open aperture of those fast lenses really turbocharges the AF of the V1. Unfortunately, we still don't have AF-C, but the AF capture time is so short, that those split second opportunites should be addressable. I hope that Nikon provides either a software update for the size of the existing AF fields, as they are sometimes too big to precisely pick and choose the area you'd like to get in focus. If this requires new HW? Don't know, can be a sensor issue as well. And Nikon, please allow smaller AF fields, these are too big.

I had so often Front/Backfocus issues with some high speed lenses. The absence of this is a very welcomed development.

Sorry, for the long post, but this "missing link" between the established Nikon F system and the new System 1 is so much fun, that I wanted to share these early impressions. Some, might change over time, but the start is a good one.

Cheers,
Andy

One example: AFS 400mm/2.8, f4, 1/60 sec, V1, Distance approx. 10 Meter, only resized

100% crop

Second example:
Same lens, Distance ca. 20 Meter. Gitzo 1228, center pole fully extended (I know, a sakrileg..)
We are talking 1070mm (equiv) at 1/60 sec exposure time. V1 set to electronic shutter.
full image, resized

100% crop, all sharpening in camera and CNX2 turned off

.. to be continued ...
(Disclaimer: There is no intention, but I reserve the right to err, and modify my POV as new insights emerge)

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Some outdoor experiences:
My copy of the AFS 35/1.4G shows more CA than the AFS 35mm/1.8G.

The initial good impression of the AFS 70-200mm/2.8G VR II got some hits. First, in outdoor shooting, f2.8 and quite often f4 is relatively soft - try to avoid it. Sweet spot is like allways f5.6 and f8. CA is ok.

Besides that, it is still impressive what is possible at the long end.

This crane is approx 100m away (330ft).All shots from a tripod.

100% crop, f2.8. all sharpening turned off

100% crop, f5.6, all sharpening turned off

same crop at f5.6. USM in CNX2 set to (15/2/0) and (5/5/0)

The AF speed is still remarkable. Quick and almost everytime accurate. Despite the sun in the image, there is no focus hunt, or similar issues.

Image underexposed by -2EV, Distance to the tree, ca. 100 meter

100% crop, sharpening turned off.

Combining MFD and 200mm gives finally some sort of subject isolation ....

resized, f4

We should not forget the initial positioning of the System 1 by Nikon.
It is just "A step up" for P&S camera users....
imho, an impressive one

regards,
Andy

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:49 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

SAMPLE NEEDED ASAP HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndreasE wrote:
There seems to be new opportunities at the long end.

http://www.pbase.com/andrease/image/140477004/original.jpg

Andy

Dec 22, 2011 at 06:02 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

AndreasE wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/andrease/image/140477004/original.jpg

Andy

Dec 22, 2011 at 06:46 PM
AndreasE
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Hope that those who celebrate Christmas and do it on the eve of December 24th had a relaxing evening with friends and family.

This morning a common fly stopped by our kitchen. Out of fun, I tried the AFS 105mm/2.8 VR on the FT1 adapter and "hunted" the fly with the V1. Focus is very fast. What I would have loved to do to simplify "composition" is to change the position of the AF field. The current limit of the fixed center position is not really helpful. Don't know if the limit is a hardware or a software limitation. If the latter, I hope Nikon will fix this in the next firmware release cycle.

V1, FT1, VFR 105mm/2.8 VR, daylight, f16. The fly is less than 1cm long (incl wings)

regards,
Andy

Dec 25, 2011 at 09:40 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

so thats what 30cm from the lens or so hand held with no need for strobes to provide enough light and your getting over 3:1 . powerful piece of kit really.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:32 PM
llostagin

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Initial experiences: V1 and FT1 adapter

Thanks for the post Andy, I cannot wait for mine to show up. Have a Great & Happy New year
Gene

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password