Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2011 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

galenapass
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Grantland wrote:
i think you're suppose to focus on the center battery

That's exactly what I was thinking

edit: Oh wait, I just looked at the EXIF and it was taken with a 5DII, so he probably DID focus on the center battery.

just kidding, I have a 5DII and I find the focus to be spot on despite popular opinion on internet forums.

Edited on Dec 24, 2011 at 12:35 AM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:31 AM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.3 #2 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Great....Just Great!!!

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:36 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Grantland wrote:

That's right.
The flanking batteries should be staggered by about 1/2 inch in front, and 1/2" back from the center battery. Also, the focusing distance to the batteries should be about 10 ft, ie., MFD.

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:41 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.3 #4 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Enjoy your new lens!

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:50 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Grantland wrote:

Unless you want to draw attention to the background transition from sharp to smooth. That's where my 200/1.8L shines the most.

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:54 AM
dwweiche
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

PetKal wrote:
Take the lens into your hands......one hand close to the mount, the other close to the front.

My GOODNESS, I thought I was reading a Harlequin Romance Novel, and I was afraid to read any further!

Dec 24, 2011 at 01:01 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.3 #7 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Very impressive. There is virtually no signs of TCA or even LCA on f1.8. The best lens Canon ever produced!

Dec 24, 2011 at 01:36 AM
stempsons
• •
p.3 #8 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

those battery shots are pretty sharp! hand held?

Dec 24, 2011 at 01:41 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.3 #9 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Shot tabletop. Post it note under the foot.

Dec 24, 2011 at 04:55 AM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.3 #10 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

This thread is KILLING my will power!!! I've just told my wife that I'm tempted to let everything except 1 of my camera bodies go to pursue the purchase of one of these legends!!! ARGHHHHH !!!!

Dec 24, 2011 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

reno.peterson wrote:
This thread is KILLING my will power!!! I've just told my wife that I'm tempted to let everything except 1 of my camera bodies go to pursue the purchase of one of these legends!!! ARGHHHHH !!!!

Reno, you own 70-200 f/2.8 IS MkII already.
That zoom is an excellent substitute for 200 f/2 IS and even 200 f/1.8.
That extra bit of performance (i.e., aperture) cost a $hitload of money, and it is best if one can resist the temptation.

Yes, if some day you come accross a nice deal on 200 f/1.8, then I'd say go for it by all means, but I wouldn't sell your other stuff in order to get it now. Just my way of thinking which I seldom follow myself in real life.

Dec 24, 2011 at 04:26 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.3 #12 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Edited on Dec 25, 2011 at 10:38 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2011 at 05:00 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.3 #13 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

PetKal wrote:
Mike, that looks very good.
Now, about that scratched drop-in filter, that can be easily replaced.
Yet, I think that the filter condition warrantied a specific disclosure.....perhepas Helen/Adorama can do something about that ?
Adorama carries the holder.
The filter is important for proper AF calibration, and it also keeps the dust out of the rear element cavity.....therefore, it shouldn't be removed and it has to be optically clear.

How does the MF feel.....is it snug enough, i.e., it doesn't clatter ?
When you are spinning the MF ring in either direction, do you hear any scraping or grating noise ?

Take the lens into
...Show more

Hi Peter,

The lens is solid and doesn't feel loose between the front and back. The focus doesn't clatter and seems responsive at the different speeds. It makes a noise when focusing, but it sounds very quiet and "normal" to me.

Thanks for explaining the drop in filter. I didn't realize the glass stays in all the time and the metal clip is meant to hold other gelatin filters on top of the glass. I was thinking the assembly was a "filter holder" and I just needed a new glass disk. I was mistaken. I am a supertele noob I guess.

Dec 24, 2011 at 05:09 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.3 #14 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Grantland wrote:

Not sure what you mean, I focused on each battery in turn with the closest on at minimum focus distance. Just posted a single shot of the setup, but 1:1 crops of all. 3 batteries.

Dec 24, 2011 at 05:12 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.3 #15 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

PetKal wrote:
That's right.
The flanking batteries should be staggered by about 1/2 inch in front, and 1/2" back from the center battery. Also, the focusing distance to the batteries should be about 10 ft, ie., MFD.

I didn't realize the batteries should be so close. I have them around 6" apart with the closest battery at minimum focus distance. Should I re-do the test? Focus seems spot on to me.

Dec 24, 2011 at 05:18 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.3 #16 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

no need to redo. it looks good.

be sure to post some pics with your newly acquired lens.

Dec 24, 2011 at 06:30 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.3 #17 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Please post pics!

Advice to P1; got a beef w/ Adorama or Helen; let them know and start your own thread.

Dec 24, 2011 at 07:13 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.3 #18 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Edited on Dec 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:38 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.3 #19 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

Tom Dix wrote:
Please post pics!

Advice to P1; got a beef w/ Adorama or Helen; let them know and start your own thread.

I have to say that I am not sure why there were so many posts directed at Helen in a rude way. She really helped me get the lens for an appropriate price and did not suggest the warranty to me. I added this as a way to protect myself as much as possible ($40 is nothing on a lens this expensive). It sounds like I should have called Mack to get more details around the terms, which I will do. I appreciate the heads up in this regard. Anyway, I went into this search for a 200 F1.8L knowing about the parts shortage and looking for a way to do it despite these challenges due to the special nature of the lens. I am super happy with the whole process. Please don't rain on my parade.

Thanks!

Mike

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:54 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · My 200 F1.8L is on the way!

saneproduction wrote:
Hi Peter,

The lens is solid and doesn't feel loose between the front and back. The focus doesn't clatter and seems responsive at the different speeds. It makes a noise when focusing, but it sounds very quiet and "normal" to me.

That is excellent, Mike. On occasion the MF rings becomes too loose and it rattles and moves inadvertently.
Furthermore, the MF ring acts on two sets of brushes which slide on a digital position encoder ring. If those brushes make scraping noise when the MF ring is turned, that suggests a high risk of MF failure.

Looking forward to some more shots.

Dec 24, 2011 at 09:11 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password