Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Fisheye to "normal" view

jay tieger
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fisheye to "normal" view

I got a 7mm Spiratone fisheye recently and I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot with it...to frame a shot that when cropped doesn't "look fishy"..wide yes, fisheye no...

Edited on Dec 20, 2011 at 08:39 PM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:22 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fisheye to "normal" view

Well, here's a version with the PS Filter>Lens Correction>Custom>Remove Distortion slider pulled to the right all the way, applied three times and some Filter>Liquify changes to straighten some residual bent parts. (Also some sharpening and USM mid-tone bumps.)

Dec 20, 2011 at 07:11 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fisheye to "normal" view

That's a nice piece of work with the lens correction...My old PS version doesn't have it...oh well......I should bring down the mid-range a bit too...and did...and replaced the original, thanks...

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:16 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fisheye to "normal" view

In prior versions of Photoshop, Lens Correction is under Filter>Distort. They moved it up a level because it fit more logically than under Distort.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fisheye to "normal" view

AuntiPode wrote:
In prior versions of Photoshop, Lens Correction is under Filter>Distort. They moved it up a level because it fit more logically than under Distort.

Found it...it's called PINCH....unfortunately in THIS shot, it pinches the bottom half but not the ceiling beam on the right, exaggerating its bowing, unless I crop it out and I would prefer not to do that...and worse...

...with the very fuzzy images that this lens produces, softening it further with pinching is something I'm not keen on...still....

I will keep it in mind on other shots...thank you....I learned something today...and that's a good day ANY day...

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fisheye to "normal" view

What version are you using? (In CS2, the oldest version I've got now, it's Filter>Distort>Lens Correction.)

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:04 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fisheye to "normal" view

Lens Correction BEGAN with CS2....my "newest" is CS

I tend to be somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to Photoshopping....so I haven't rushed to upgrade to CS2345....

Here's the last revision.....

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:31 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fisheye to "normal" view

For digital image work, CS is ancient history.

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:14 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fisheye to "normal" view

jay tieger wrote:
I got a 7mm Spiratone fisheye recently and I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot with it...to frame a shot that when cropped doesn't "look fishy"..wide yes, fisheye no...

The difference between a fish eye and a lens that doesn't look "fishy" is the use of anastigmatic correction elements to flatten the focal plane.

A simple lens focuses on a spherical surface why our eyes are round not cubes. To get an image in focus on a flat film or sensor plane the lens maker adds corrective elements. By way of analogy what happens to the image is like cutting a tennis ball in half, nailing the center to the board, then stretching out the equator of the ball flat and nailing it to to the board. That accounts for the stretching of the image in the long dimension on anastigmatic UWA lenses like my Canon 10mm-22mm. All lenses have anastigmatic correction to some degree, but the stretching it causes is more evident on UWA lenses.

This screen shot shows how CS5 corrects the distortion.

The net effect is a less distortion but a smaller cropped image. All things considered if you don't want the circular fisheye effect the more effective strategy is don't use a fisheye lens

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:24 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fisheye to "normal" view

Very interesting...I had tried the same technique with Pinch filter @ 90 CW ...just experimenting out of ignorance I got these results....

I understand I won't remove "fisheyeness" altogether....I just am trying not to draw attention to it...thanks.....

Dec 22, 2011 at 01:26 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password