Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · TT Airport Security packing

Wickedfn4u
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TT Airport Security packing

Just wondering if I am using mine the most efficient way. I would love to see how others pack and what you carry around. I would love to see big lenses too.. I have a 400 and 70/200 with two D3's.

Dec 20, 2011 at 07:13 AM
hkurkela
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TT Airport Security packing

I'm using ThinkTank StreetWalker HardDrive to carry similar gear.

Heikki

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:00 AM
rick_reno
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TT Airport Security packing

I carry my camera gear on board with me in one of the Lowepro bags, not sure which one it is. Tripod (RRS 34L) gets packed in my checked bag.

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:40 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TT Airport Security packing

I have an older Airport Addicted, which is similar, but without the wheels.
The trick to efficient space utilization is to figure out how best to use the deeper (8") portion of the bag. If you have a 400/2.8 the lens hood is really large diameter and this will take some priority for this deeper space. I use the 8" deep space for my 70-200/2.8 IS which is stored vertically, lens cap straight downwards with the bag open and hood reversed. The lens is 8" long so this works out well.
I also store my 5DII with L bracket and handstrap with the left side of the camera down (handstrap up). 24-70/2.8 lens attached with hood attached (not reversed). This facilitates the quickest access to shooting; grab the handstrap side of the camera while in the bag, lift straight out, lens cap off and start shooting. My flash is also 8" long so it goes here.
Think Tank used to have more user pics of packing arrangements, but the revised web site has done away with most of these.
Mike K

Dec 20, 2011 at 07:56 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TT Airport Security packing

When you said you store your 70-200 standing up in the deep end I could not figure out why I did not do that. So I went and stood it up and it was not even close. So I came back and re-read your post. I noticed you said IS and so I figured Canon. I had to go find the sizes of the the two. N 4x8.5" and C 4x8.06" and that is just about what I am off. It would zip but I would not want it banging into anything. So for me the only way is sideways.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · TT Airport Security packing

hkurkela wrote:
I'm using ThinkTank StreetWalker HardDrive to carry similar gear.

Heikki

Here is my list of stuff in the main area.
D3 and D700 w grip
400 2.8
70-200 2.8
28-70 2.8
12-24 sig 4.5-5.6
1.4 & 1.7 tc
Sekonic 358 Light meter
Battery Charger
2 external drives in Logic cases
Pac Safe travel safe for the my TT
1 Extra battery

What does kill is having to lay that 70-200 down.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · TT Airport Security packing

for some reason I never get asked to check my camera gear. Good thing I would never trust it to get there.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · TT Airport Security packing

Wickedfn4u wrote:
N 4x8.5" and C 4x8.06" and that is just about what I am off. It would zip but I would not want it banging into anything. So for me the only way is sideways.

Too bad, the Canon 70-200, 100-400 and Sigma 70-200 OS are all less than 8" long.
I also put a 135/2 lens in vertically and leave the hood mounted (8" long). Sometimes I carry extension tubes in the cavity made by the 135 hood.

I have a friend who used to carry a LF system in this bag and would use the 8" deep section of the bag to create 2 layers of equipment, with padding separating the two.

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:03 AM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · TT Airport Security packing

that is what I do too. I use two layers the bottom being nick nack stuff or less used lenses.

Dec 21, 2011 at 03:20 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password