Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

3D.Doug
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

I've really missed not having a grab handle on top of my Billingham, so I am correcting that problem. I also decided to try the basic black, add waterproofing I think, but still with a little bling of tan leather. A little extra space (not much), and a zippered rear pocket will both be welcome additions. I always worried about dropping things out of the side pockets, memory card, battery, whatever.

Cargo, Leica M9, 24mm 1.4 lux Fle-ASPH, 35mm 2.0 Cron ASPH, 50mm CV 1.1, 90mm Cron

I ordered it from BH, arrives Wed. My Photography gift to myself. Ok, not counting 2 lenses in last 2 months. Ok, still struggling with 1 of those bills. But holding course to pay 24 lux off by May! Geesh, pricey lens.

http://static.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/218546.jpg

This was my first one, tan with brown leather. Small version, still carried all but one lens without using side pocket. It will carry a lens in pocket though. Ok, 2, but it gets fatter of course.

http://static.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/179304.jpg

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:39 PM
MSC
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

Nice…have been looking at the Hadley for a long time. Just took a 335 to Italy for a week and my 445 went to Israel for two weeks. The Hadley has the more vertical profile which looks good for certain times. What is under the top flap when you pull it back? Is is a zipper or open? The 335 and 445 flap opens to a zipper, and the material tucks out of the way if you want to have it open while using it. Curious about the one you have.

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:17 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

My original one (tan) and new one (black), both only have open top side. So, when you open it, you need to keep case upright. But it's very stationary. I had no problem with the case design in that regard. This one is just a little bigger, and has the zipper back side, and the top handle. These are pretty small cases. Not to much different in size than a 5 million dollar home (crumpler)

In fact, since I have both, I could shoot a photo for comparison. I like the Hadley releases, you adjust the top buckle to where you want it, then it's a quick open close operation, but it stays shut well.

back side zipper:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/multiple_images/item_images/IMG_115050.jpg

inside flap covers gear:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/multiple_images/item_images/IMG_115048.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/multiple_images/item_images/IMG_115047.jpg

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:59 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

ok, here's a shot of my first one, of course, the second is not here yet.

With a little bit more length, I think I will be able to fit 2 lenses on one side, one on camera, and then up to 2 more in pockets. Often, I may not carry one though, and go with 2-3.

http://doug-photojazz.smugmug.com/Photographers-Corner/Leica/M9-Voigtlander-50mm/i-rBF84Ct/0/XL/DSC0149-XL.jpg

Compared to Crumpler 5 million home.

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:31 AM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

Looks perfect, thanks for the details. Next year.

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:49 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

Your welcome. You know the Crumplers are nice bags. But there's something about the retro style of the Billingham and just the feel that I like. Also, you cannot even begin to be suttle about ripping open that velcro on crumpers. It's secure yes, but with a price of announcing your presence. For street type photography, not so good.

I see myself eventually getting a large Billingham possibly as well, we'll see. I just like the functionality of them.

Maybe eventually I should have a bag sale. I swear it's a sickness.

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hfgarris
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

I love my Billinghams ... I think the Hadley Pro is the perfect "walk-around" size since it will hold any 3 of my L sized lenses (some f/2.8 are a bit tight) selected for that particular excursion with one mounted to the (ungripped) camera. It holds about all I want to carry when walking most of the day. I really do like the handle on the top, something I wish the Hadley Small had as well. I prefer to keep it really slim for easy carry, so I don't load up the front pockets with anything big (filter, spare battery, etc. are fine).

You really do have to touch, use, and experience a Billingham to understand what it is all about!

-howard

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:23 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

Howard, you get just exactly what I was talking about, and you understand completely why I upgraded to this bag. thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I don't yet know what I will do with my spare Billingham, but then I have a lot of gear, it could come into play for some specific application, we'll see. I have considered adding a leather strap to my bag, via a seamstress or shoe shop maybe.

I agree on having to get your hands on one to understand. I've had a lot of bags, and these are just unique. I've had more Think Tanks than you can carry in a trunk. Lowepro, Tamrac, Pelican hardshell and soft cases, I've ran the gambit.

Billinghams are SWEET!

Hey Howard, let me give you a tip. BH sells National Geographic shoulder pads that velcro on, and offer a nice shoulder relief for the Hadley. Probably most of the others too, but definitely fit this size strap well. They are $9.90 cents for a shoulder pad with free shipping I think. I am sure the 41.00 Billinghams are nice, but I do draw the line somtimes on price points. I use the same strap pads on both my Hadley and my Crumpler 5 million. Crumpler 6 or 7 million comes with a pad, but not the 5 million.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:09 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

If you're looking for a good strap, the Timbuk2 straps are pretty darn nice, and are available in a pretty wide array of colors and fabrics...

Dec 21, 2011 at 03:40 AM
hfgarris
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

Although the "Hadley Small" will hold the 5D with a couple of primes, I have one of the "f/2.8" bags for that (5D, 24-105L, 35L, & flash) as they are a bit deeper and don't seem as stretched as the Small. However, the "Hadley Small" fits my M4/3 Panasonic G3 with several zooms and primes perfectly and makes a very small, lightweight, and fully capable travel system when I can't haul the big stuff along.

I will check out the Nat Geo shoulder pads ... yes the Billingham ones are pretty expensive, although they actually are pretty good (they really should come with the bags at those prices).

Hope you enjoy your new "Hadley Pro"

-howard

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:59 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2nd Billingham on order (Billingham Hadley Pro)

is that a strap Guy or a shoulder pad protector to fit on a strap? Ok, I looked it up, seems they do sell some strap pads, a few colors I saw, crazy colors on some bags and stuff. the NG pad, is utilitarian looking, I like it though I wish it was a bit more flexible at times.

yeah Howard, well nobody ever said this was a cheap hobby, lol.

Doug

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password