Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Tablets

cameron12x
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tablets

I've been taking a personal "crash course" on tablets the last couple of weeks.

Right now I'm on the fence whether to actually buy one, but I just can't see shelling out big money for a gadget which really doesn't replace my desktop, my laptop, my netbook, or my phone. (When they can do all four of those things then we'll really have a cool device!) Tablets are literally in a new niche all of their own. The main attraction to me is their relative portability, the ability to browse the Internet, and their rich media playback options (photos, videos, et al).

It will be interesting to see the post-Christmas sales which will likely happen for models which are being replaced with newer ones. And I don't believe the tablet market is even close to maturation yet, so I'd expect cheaper prices and even more functionality soon...

What are your thoughts about tablets and their intended functionality as it relates to photography gear?

Dec 19, 2011 at 06:51 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tablets

I didn't know Canon made tablets...

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:14 PM
WmPat
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tablets

Tablets are for kids.

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:17 PM
cameron12x
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tablets

I wonder if there could be any DSP applications where you connect a camera to the tablet via a USB port?

Astrophotography applications potentially comes to mind.

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:21 PM
pegger

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tablets

cameron12x wrote:
gadget which really doesn't replace my desktop, my laptop, my netbook, or my phone.

There's the answer.
If you are a pro may be showing you portfolio to your clients? but you can still use a laptop.
There are specific uses for tablets but it's not worth the money IMHO, unless something like a 99$ HP touchpad(discontinued).
The problem won't stop just with tablet itself-you might need accessories and data plans.
I'm sure next year there'll be new product between tablet and phone?

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:24 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tablets

I'm not sure they fit my workflow yet either. But they will be there soon.

I just bought my mom a Toshiba Thrive for Christmas and of course I've been setting it up...for a couple of weeks

I wasn't expecting too much but this has an SD slot two usb (one full/one mini), HDMI.

My reasoning: This is her first experience with a computer basically. She's played a few word games if we get one going for her. But she's turning 87 this December and she feels left out...no facebook (whatever that is), no email...

With the tablet I set up a couple of buttons/apps on the desktop and she should be good to go. And mainly, there isn't a bunch of shut down steps to worry with.

Frankly I like the fact that a "computer" device CAN be useful without Windows or Mac...makes me feel kinda warm and fuzzy.

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:37 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tablets

Canon forum.

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:44 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tablets

I've had a iPad for almost 2 years now. The kids play lot's of games on it and I use it to stream netflix to my TV. That's about it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:09 PM
cameron12x
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tablets

Apple is supposed to bring out an iPhone (or iPad) next year with an 8" screen. Will that confuse the issue even more?

When I started looking at the tablet market, 7" seemed on the small side, and 10" seemed on the heavy side. So, a form-factor of 8" might just be perfect for me.

Virtual keyboards are still an issue (for me), however. I like the tactile response of a regular keyboard.

I'd like to see a device where a regular keyboard slides out from the screen, or vice-versa, where a screen slides out from a keyboard (in much the way some Smartphones are today).

Yes, it's a confused market with a myriad of choices which tend to overlap each other.

Is Canon addressing this space in any way?

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:13 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tablets

My advice if you are going to get one, is to get the iPad. I say that not because I am a "fan-boy", but because their customer service is top notch! The rest of the tablets you have to phone in for service, whereas Apple you simply just make an appointment with the genius bar. Supposedly the iPad 3 will be out in March - who knows. I just hope that they add a CF reader, or at least an adapter.

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tr1957
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tablets

cameron12x wrote:
I'd like to see a device where a regular keyboard slides out from the screen, or vice-versa, where a screen slides out from a keyboard (in much the way some Smartphones are today).
quote]
I've seen some where a keyboard is built into a screen cover. You can then remove the cover and insert the screen into slots on the keyboard/cover, making what is essentially a laptop shape.

My bigger problem is the lack of onboard storage versus the seemingly ever increasing size of raw files. It would be great to be able to use a tablet as a backup storage file,
...Show more

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:38 PM
mspringfield
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tablets

onOne make an iPad app that will control the shutter on the newer Canon cameras and there are several apps that will allow you to control both Meade and Celestron scopes.

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:44 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tablets

The Nook Color can be rooted & an app called DLSR controller installed.
http://dslrcontroller.com/
Does full tethered shooting on most Canon DSLR that have live view.

The Nook Color has been at $199 & have seen specials at $159.
Pretty tempting and just at the impulse $$ level

Dan

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:54 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tablets

I am not into tablets, cell phones, Ipads and stuff like that, but I am thinking about buying this.
It should have enough trunk space for a couple of long lenses and a big tripod/head.

Dec 19, 2011 at 08:56 PM
cameron12x
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tablets

dswiger wrote:
The Nook Color can be rooted & an app called DLSR controller installed.
http://dslrcontroller.com/
Does full tethered shooting on most Canon DSLR that have live view.

The Nook Color has been at $199 & have seen specials at $159. Pretty tempting and just at the impulse $$ level

Dan

Now that is pretty interesting application. How much does it cost?

I know there is a SD card (8/16/32 Gb) you can use to boot either to Android or the native Nook OS.

Dec 19, 2011 at 09:12 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tablets

Everytime I get the urge for an iPad I end up thinking that a MacBook Air is the minimum I could get away with. The Photoshop (Elements anyway) single user license says you can install a second copy on your laptop. A MacBook Air can run photoshop. It does not have 3G connectivity however. For now we take my wife's 17" MacBook which is the best portable. But see below for our camera case.

PetKal wrote:
I am not into tablets, cell phones, Ipads and stuff like that, but I am thinking about buying this.
It should have enough trunk space for a couple of long lenses and a big tripod/head.

Nah, Peter, really this is the best rolling camera case ever!

Dec 19, 2011 at 09:14 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tablets

cameron12x wrote:
Now that is pretty interesting application. How much does it cost?

I know there is a SD card (8/16/32 Gb) you can use to boot either to Android or the native Nook OS.

Here is the link on market.android.
https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller
Its $8.52. Way below my impulse level!

Dan

Dec 19, 2011 at 09:57 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tablets

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Nah, Peter, really this is the best rolling camera case ever!

Perhaps so, Jeff. However, Fiat 500 Abarth appeals to younger babes.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:15 PM
Gary Petersen
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tablets

Posting from my Kindle Fire. This is my camera bag.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM
cameron12x
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tablets

Gary Petersen wrote:
Posting from my Kindle Fire. This is my camera bag.

Now that's a lot of "Firepower!"

How do you like your Kindle? Pros? Cons? Shortcomings? Suggestions?

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password