Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Epson R800 replacement

Donald Gray
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson R800 replacement

I have had two Epson R800 printers. When they worked the results were brilliant. But they drank ink. Then after a year, they both got clogged heads that refused to be cleaned (Including putting the head in 98% alcohol for a prolonged period.) I have spent a fortune on inks just for cleaning. I will never buy an Epson printer again!

I have spent some time reading reviews on all types and makes of printers but am even more confused as to which, what & why...

My needs:
A4 (letter)
Wireless if possible
Good image quality and colour rendition (I am not after fine art but appreciate IQ)
Reasonably economical with ink
Reasonable longevity of printed image (Dye/Pigment?)

I would very much appreciate any recommendations. Budget is C £350 (say approx $550)

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson R800 replacement

Canon multi purpose printers are excellent value (I have the MP550)...and the nice thing is the carts are easy to re-fill with 3rd party ink (I use German OCP ink...about £4 per 100ml bottle).

I have a R800 that clogged badly.....I swapped to using cheap dye carts......gradually the heads cleared (took weeks of doing a cleaning cycle, leaving it overnight to rest, repeating the process...and so on). I then went back to OEM pigment inks with no trouble.

I went on to buy a R2880....different kettle of fish.....not a single nozzle block so far. I still have the R800 and to keep it healthy I do a nozzle check once a week.

Check out the UK Canon eBay store for refurb printers.

Dec 19, 2011 at 03:26 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson R800 replacement

Thanks for the input Anthonygh. It is much appreciated.

I am interested in the idea of reliable refills too. I will look at the MP550 & read a few reviews

Dec 19, 2011 at 07:41 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson R800 replacement

Donald Gray wrote:
I have had two Epson R800 printers. When they worked the results were brilliant. But they drank ink. Then after a year, they both got clogged heads that refused to be cleaned (Including putting the head in 98% alcohol for a prolonged period.) I have spent a fortune on inks just for cleaning. I will never buy an Epson printer again!

I have spent some time reading reviews on all types and makes of printers but am even more confused as to which, what & why...

My needs:
A4 (letter)
Wireless if possible
Good image quality and colour rendition (I am not after
...Show more

not sure about in the UK but they had the R3000 on rebate deals for $565 shipped
I replaced my R800 with it. It's way early yet, but so far it seems less clog prone. Had it sit 2 weeks and then 3 weeks so far and not a single nozzle was clogged after either sit.
It also prints larger.

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:51 AM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson R800 replacement

Skybum, many thanks for that info... I am weary about the Epson 'micro ceramic head' or whatever it is called. This is the third printer that I have has head clogging, two being the R800. (I cant remember the model of the first one.)

However, I am heartened to hear that you are getting 2 - 3 weeks and no nozzle blocks. I will look into the reviews for it.

As a point of interest, I have discovered that reading 'owner' reviews are more honest (when taken with a pinch of salt) then the magazine reviews....!! After all the R800 does produce outstanding results before the nozzles block - magazines don't have a printer/product long enough to 'shake it down'.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:40 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson R800 replacement

Donald Gray wrote:
Skybum, many thanks for that info... I am weary about the Epson 'micro ceramic head' or whatever it is called. This is the third printer that I have has head clogging, two being the R800. (I cant remember the model of the first one.)

However, I am heartened to hear that you are getting 2 - 3 weeks and no nozzle blocks. I will look into the reviews for it.

As a point of interest, I have discovered that reading 'owner' reviews are more honest (when taken with a pinch of salt) then the magazine reviews....!! After all the R800 does
...Show more

yeah my R800 eventually drove me nuts, non-stops clogging and it's so bad now that only one of those anticlog juice kits I think could fix it (or maybe the windex trick would work). My previous Photo 750 or whatever it was called was also clog prone, wasted a lot of ink, although that one always cleared in the end, but it still ate a lot of ink for nothing. But man my R800 I was sometimes going through 3/4 of an ink set to unclog it, just awful and it was soooo annoying that sometimes only one or two colors would have a clog and the damn thing would waste ALL inks during cleaning, no single color cleaning mode! It was wasting so much ink I figured the savings in ink loss might pay for the R3000 within a year hah (I looked around the net and I noticed people who had complained about older Epsons and ones without the teflon heads or whatever would mention no ink clogging problems with the R3000 and I saw enough people say that that I figured I'd give it a shot and trust the comments would hold for me too) and I'd be able to print larger prints (which I have to say it REALLY nice!) to boot.

But so far, my R3000 has been an entirely different story. Hopefully, it remains that way. Definitely a far more promising start than the R800, at the least.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:29 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Epson R800 replacement

The R800 and R1800 were known to clog badly unless really looked after....and even that didn't always work!!

I did find that it made a good dye printer however......during the period when I was using cheap dye carts I was getting some lovely prints.....in fact better that my Canon Pro9000 that I now use for dye prints. When I have run out of OEM carts I am going investigate whether there are any good quality bulk inks out there (dye inks).

I already have a set of refillable carts for it.....cheap from HK...but work faultlessly.

The UK is not know by us as 'Rip Off Britain' for nothing......none of the big companies provide the deals that seem commonplace in the USA....so no R3000 at that sort of price!

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Epson R800 replacement

@ Skibum & Anthony:

Again, thank you for the input. I was seriously going to turn away from Epson because of the HUGH expense of purchasing the machine(s) and ink carts at an exorbitant price* and only getting a few 10s of prints in total (certainly less than 50 A4s)

* Have you noticed that when a cartridge is (so called) empty, (a) the machine refuses to print and (b) when you replace the cartridge with a new one, the old one still has a viable quantity of ink therein!

I did investigate a continuous ink supply system. I cost about £140 with a set of full bottles and feed cartridges – the economics seemed to be about a seventh of the cost of the puny little OEM cartridges. However, before I fitted it, I noticed that the ink delivery tubes have a lot of air gaps and needed purging/priming. I could not shift the air from a couple of the tubes, so I fitted a massive syringe to one end and used high air pressure to do the job. I was horrified at (a) the pressure needed just to move the ink along 18 inches of flexible tubing and (b) that the ink came out as a solid lump!

Just imagine the condition of the print head if that had got in. The photo says it all! Needless to say it went back to the supplier as not fit for purpose!

All the above being said, Yes the R800 is capable of superb results… when new and unclogged but at huge cost in time, ink, paper and frustration.

I will look at user reviews of the other Epsons but thrice bitten…. Hmmmm

Blocked ink delivery tube (Pigment)

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Epson R800 replacement

Thanks for the input guys. My budget can't reach to the R3000 but I am looking to give Epson another chance. I'm investigating the R2880 and opened another thread here

Thanks and a Happy New Year to all

Dec 27, 2011 at 01:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gerov
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Epson R800 replacement

Donald,
I was looking at the R2880 and the R3000, and the reviews for both were quite good. The main complaint for thirst seemed to come from switching between the matte black and photo (glossy) black settings. It also seemed that some of the issues with earlier printers were resolved in the 2880, and then further improved in the 3000.

Good luck with your decision.

Gero

Dec 27, 2011 at 03:40 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Epson R800 replacement

Hey Gero - good to see you here! Thanks for your comment. A happy Christmas to you & yours...

It look good for the 2880 - At this moment in time, I dont think the guzzling of black will worry me - I very rarely print matte. (that might change though)

I want to do more research into using CIS (continious Ink Supply) - As you can see from the macro above, I am not too endeared to the supplier I have tried!

I will keep the other 'R2880' thread updated as to what transpires...

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:09 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Epson R800 replacement

Hi Donald,

Likewise to you and yours - its been a lovely Christmas and the new year is almost upon us.

That macro just does not look right - I would have sent that stuff back as well.

I know the 3000 is out of your budget, as you mentioned in your other thread, but I'll keep you posted on the printing results when mine arrives tomorrow.

Gero

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:21 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Epson R800 replacement

I sent the suppliers several macros of the issue and demanded my money back. I'll give 'em credit ... they did refund in full including postage. Rather than send the claggy one back, they told me to dispose of it! I wouldnt dare to use it anyway!

I will be interested to hear how you get on with your new printer as & when.

Catch you on MA2A ...

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:48 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Epson R800 replacement

That was nice of them. I'll be curious as to what CIS solution you find.

See you on MA2A...

Dec 27, 2011 at 05:57 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Epson R800 replacement

I have seen that effect with a CIS before...it is congealed (read old) ink. If the ink is fresh it should flow through the system much like water. I actually have a CIS for my R800 that cost about £35 via an eBay supplier......no problems with it, but I stopped using it as I found the re-fillable carts were better for my needs. I left the CIS for some months before remembering to clean out the old ink......I had the problems you described......took a lot of effort, cleaning fluids, hot water, massaging the tubes......you name it.

Looking back, I should have just tried to get a new strip of tubes.....that was where the ink had congealed.

Regarding the left over ink, Epsom maintain they overfill carts to ensure there is no possibility of them running empty before the printer utility demands a replacement. if the heads tried to fire without ink in the nozzles it would cause overheating and permanent damage....apparently.

Dec 27, 2011 at 06:06 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Epson R800 replacement

The replacement cis unit I got was good. Ink nice and fluid and gave good results. The problem I had was partly my own making... I sometimes have a couple of weeks between prints.

Although I see comments on the 2880 as 'no clogs' with cis or refillables and that interests me.

One of the issues that I didn't recognise with a better solution was the back draining and air in the pipes and cartridges.

I have seen a system that claims to prevent the back draining - see here. Very expensive to get install initially. This is only one of the possible solutions I am considering. Nothing is fixed in concrete & I might change my mind if I find a better, for me, solution...

Dec 27, 2011 at 08:27 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Epson R800 replacement

Donald Gray wrote:
The replacement cis unit I got was good. Ink nice and fluid and gave good results. The problem I had was partly my own making... I sometimes have a couple of weeks between prints.

Although I see comments on the 2880 as 'no clogs' with cis or refillables and that interests me.

One of the issues that I didn't recognise with a better solution was the back draining and air in the pipes and cartridges.

I have seen a system that claims to prevent the back draining - see here. Very expensive to get install initially. This is only one of
...Show more

CIS ink tanks have to be kept at a min fill level to work properly....about a third full or more seems fine. I had my unit raised about 2 cm higher than recommended...! tried this after reading up on the issue. They do require a little experimentation in my experience (on a 1270, 2100, R1800, R800). I also looked at a friends unit for his 2100 back when I had the same printer.....his was four times the cost of my eBay one.....they looked identical to me. To him too, much to his annoyance!

Dec 28, 2011 at 02:36 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password