Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

Archive 2011 · Fire sale prices on Canon?
  
 
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Fire sale prices on Canon?


M Lucca wrote:
I think it's simple year end accounting to meet revenue targets. Many items are on fire sale during this season. From cars to fridges to cell phone plans.

+27384950382794940572727384950504928675309



Dec 21, 2011 at 06:27 PM
troy12n
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Fire sale prices on Canon?


colinm wrote:
The only L I can recall recently being around $550 is the 70-200/4, and it's been more than a few years since that was the case. Circa '05/'06. (Though CPW has it at $550 with a rebate in late 2008.)


I bought a bunch of equipment in July of 2008 when the rebates were going on, that is what I am basing this on. I seem to remember the 17-40 and 70-200 f4 were about the same price at that time, that's when I bought both.

At any rate, electronics prices should go DOWN over time, not up. The only time a price of something like a lens, which does not change from year to year is when it is completely redesigned. Something like the 70-200 2.8 non-IS price should be going DOWN, it's an old lens at this point, it's R&D cost has been recouped and it's what is known in the business as a "cash cow", pure profit, less actual manufacture and distribution costs. Differences in the price of the dollar should really not make the price of these goods fluctuate so much. Look at the cost of TV's, blue rays and other electronics...



Dec 22, 2011 at 01:54 PM
theMAGE
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Fire sale prices on Canon?


troy12n wrote:
At any rate, electronics prices should go DOWN over time, not up. The only time a price of something like a lens, which does not change from year to year is when it is completely redesigned. Something like the 70-200 2.8 non-IS price should be going DOWN, it's an old lens at this point, it's R&D cost has been recouped and it's what is known in the business as a "cash cow", pure profit, less actual manufacture and distribution costs. Differences in the price of the dollar should really not make the price of these goods fluctuate so much. Look
...Show more

Sure... per pound! Now how much of the weight of your lens is glass and how much is chips?



Dec 22, 2011 at 02:22 PM
troy12n
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Fire sale prices on Canon?


theMAGE wrote:
Sure... per pound! Now how much of the weight of your lens is glass and how much is chips?


I understand it may not be completely apples to apples, but it's glass, how much MORE does it cost to create lens glass now vs 3-5 years ago? Processes should become MORE efficient over time, not less.



Dec 22, 2011 at 09:30 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



bobsofpa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Fire sale prices on Canon?


troy12n wrote:
I understand it may not be completely apples to apples, but it's glass, how much MORE does it cost to create lens glass now vs 3-5 years ago? Processes should become MORE efficient over time, not less.


No matter what happens to the cost of production in the end the law of supply and demand rules. If the supply is low and the demand high, it does not matter if it only costs $1 to produce, the price will be high.



Dec 22, 2011 at 10:35 PM
h00ligan
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Fire sale prices on Canon?


There's also the discussion of what the dollar has done since then and a bunch of other factors relating to inflation marketing costs etc


Dec 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Fire sale prices on Canon?


They're trying to hit quota before the end of this year.


Dec 23, 2011 at 05:29 AM
Pixel1970
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Fire sale prices on Canon?


Well not only is there new technology in the newer lenses, there's also additional coatings on the glass that probably raises the costs a little. I have no problem paying for quality and 95% of the time Canon delivers on quality. And these new lenses are the cream of the crop.


Dec 23, 2011 at 08:04 AM
1       2      
3
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password