Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · lost coat

fracas
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · lost coat

I took this picture in Berlin. I put my coat in the foreground to enhance compo (in my opinion) and to give it a different mood.

Do you like it? How could I improve the shot in PP?

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:24 PM
Peter Sims
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · lost coat

I really like it. I'm not sure if I like the coat or not. If I had taken the photo, I wouldn't have added it, but that's a personal preference. In addition, if I had been working on this scene I would have tried a few other compositions by tilting the camera down to just show the foreground blocks and one with camera turned to the right to show foreground blocks, trees, and sky and excluding the buildings (if possible, not sure what else is over there). I think these would have simplified the composition a bit to abstract blocks only or abstract blocks and nature, respectively. The composition you have now shows lots of elements: abstract blocks, nature (trees and sky), city (buildings), and finally the coat. Including so many elements muddies the waters, I think, and detracts from what could be a very powerful image. My biggest objection in the composition is the inclusion of the buildings, but that might be a necessary thing given the constraints of the area.

Processing wise, it might help to know what you've already done to the image. I might try blending multiple exposures to extend the range a little bit if that's a possibility. The sky is pretty bright behind the clouds, but I think that it could be tamed relatively easily. More contrast in the clouds would be nice since they have potential to be very dramatic.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · lost coat

I'm diggin it ... the juxtposition of the geometry. The coat helps keep if from being a boring geometry pic ... even if I don't get the "lost coat" vibe from it. The organic trees seem out of place with all the geometric lines, the concrete seems out of place to the buildings, the coat is out of place ... pretty much everywhere you look something is "out of place" ... but it works.

The concrete reminds me of the video game Qbert.

Dec 16, 2011 at 06:13 PM
fracas
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · lost coat

Thanks to you both for your help!

Peter, as for PP, I only did some basic processing in LR (exposure,blacks, clarity, curves)... I have only one exposure so I can't blend them... However I will try to work on the sky as you suggest.

Rustybug, did you work on overall saturation and on lightening the shadows in the concrete part?

Here is a version without coat

...and another shot from a different POV

Dec 16, 2011 at 06:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · lost coat

Mostly ... I adjusted the gamma (masked for the concrete) and assigned a different color space (CIELAB) before converting to sRGB. A few other tweaks with sat/color/contrast/bright, but those are the two main diffs.

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · lost coat

kHere's a suggestion with the Shadows sliders of the PS Image>Adjustments>Shadows/Highlights at 15, 54, 91, mid-tone bump with USM at about 16, 60, 0, some small skew changes, some color balance green added to mid-tones and highlights, and a bit of retouching:

Dec 16, 2011 at 08:52 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · lost coat

Like it but it is rendered too dark to appreciate the details and the character of the light. My interpretation...

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:13 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · lost coat

I opted for a fine art feel for this shot. I moved the coat to a sweet spot and did some psuedo HDR and b & w toning and IR conversion. It looks like a really cool place to take shots!

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:30 PM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · lost coat

In the "For What It's Worth" category, I like your rework best of all the above posts. (Third shot from the top)

The coat may add an interesting element for some, or be interpreted as more "artistic," but it's only a distraction in is otherwise a cool shot of symmetry at work.

-Tim

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:43 PM
fracas
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · lost coat

thanks to you all !!!

Here is a new version of the picture, revised following some input from you ... what do you think?

JHut, I am gonna try B&W too. Thanks again

Dec 20, 2011 at 07:48 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password