Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       end
  

Archive 2011 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals
  
 
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


mpmendenhall wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would notice
No, I'm out of town for research work --- the snow is in Los Alamos, NM, which has had several inches on the ground for the past couple weeks, and just got a new ~4" overnight.


Ah that makes sense. Cool, one of my friends just moved out there recently after getting a position at the lab and was commenting today on the giant snow flakes you just had out there (and I was a bit surprised to think the snow might have extended all the way out to Pasadena despite the talk on the news about some giant snow storm in the SW).


And it sounds like the magic copy of lens is working out for you. Never hurts to see moire wide open (I was when I saw it even after tacking a TC on a 300 2.8 and shooting wide open f/4).




Dec 20, 2011 at 03:33 AM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the anti aliasing filters worked to deal with moire?


Dec 20, 2011 at 04:04 AM
mpmendenhall
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


RobertLynn wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the anti aliasing filters worked to deal with moire?


The AA filter helps significantly compared to no AA filter, but in many cameras (including the 5D) is not strong enough to 100% prevent moiré. Since a stronger AA filter would make the images less sharp on the pixel level, Canon has probably chosen an AA filter blur that is sufficient when paired with the resolution of a "typical" lens (e.g. a mid-quality zoom), but not quite strong enough to handle exceptionally sharp optics in all cases.



Dec 20, 2011 at 05:21 AM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


mpmendenhall wrote:
The AA filter helps significantly compared to no AA filter, but in many cameras (including the 5D) is not strong enough to 100% prevent moiré. Since a stronger AA filter would make the images less sharp on the pixel level, Canon has probably chosen an AA filter blur that is sufficient when paired with the resolution of a "typical" lens (e.g. a mid-quality zoom), but not quite strong enough to handle exceptionally sharp optics in all cases.

Even lenses like the 400 2.8 or the 135 or one of the tse or macro lenses?

I'm not trying to be picky but I thought these were excellent optics from canon?



Dec 20, 2011 at 06:09 AM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


RobertLynn wrote:
pingflood wrote:



Dec 20, 2011 at 06:15 AM
mpmendenhall
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


RobertLynn wrote:
Even lenses like the 400 2.8 or the 135 or one of the tse or macro lenses?

I'm not trying to be picky but I thought these were excellent optics from canon?


Yes, I would expect you should be able to induce moiré from lenses like these. Just about any half-decent prime should be able to produce mild but visible de-mosaicing artifacts at the image center when stopped down to f5.6-8. Stronger artifacts at wider apertures and all across the frame are indicators of higher optical quality. To look for this, shoot a test subject with high contrast details in a regular pattern with structures approximately 1 pixel wide when viewed in the final image.



Dec 20, 2011 at 06:18 AM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


mpmendenhall wrote:
Yes, I would expect you should be able to induce moiré from lenses like these. Just about any half-decent prime should be able to produce mild but visible de-mosaicing artifacts at the image center when stopped down to f5.6-8. Stronger artifacts at wider apertures and all across the frame are indicators of higher optical quality. To look for this, shoot a test subject with high contrast details in a regular pattern with structures approximately 1 pixel wide when viewed in the final image.


Thanks for this information. In a way I hope I forget it, that way I don't...if I can't reproduce it, I've got "junk" lenses, or if I can reproduce it, myc amera is junk. I've got a very flawed way of thinking at times lol.

In another way, it's really cool to learn new things. It's one of the reasons why I love this forums.




Dec 20, 2011 at 06:56 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



StarNut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


cputeq wrote:
Shooting a nice manual focus lens is like driving a nice manual transmission car. You don't use it for the convenience but rather the experience of something different with a finely-crafted machine.


Different strokes.... I think paying a whole bunch of money for a manual focus (only) lens is like paying a whole bunch of money for a totally antiquated Morgan car. Nice car, but there are so many better ways, to me, to spend that much money on a nice car.



Dec 20, 2011 at 07:00 AM
mpmendenhall
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


Example of moiré artifacts using my $1 test target (note the "mazing" and red/blue coloration splotches produced from what should be a pure grayscale pattern).
ZE 35/2 wide open, 5D 100% crop, center frame, default Aperture RAW processing:





I consider this rather impressive for an f2 lens, wide open; most lenses would need to be considerably more stopped down to do this. Even more impressive to me is similar performance in an extreme corner crop (still wide open):







Dec 20, 2011 at 07:36 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


RobertLynn wrote:
It is manual focus... Isn't it like 2011 now?


Yes. But some people who like to take pictures and do not trust AF still like to focus manual. Those lenses are not done for P&S but for view, decide what image component is worth and focus it.

Even it is 2011 I can imagine I would purchase and use a non AF body or lens. I would never use one that does not offer MF. I MF very often. Not because AF does not work. Just because of the fact that in 30-50 % no cameras AF system can know, what I would like to let it focus upon.

And in my opinion its still us, who do the picture, not any camera neither any AF system. It does not matter, how good it is. If I have time (e.g: portraits) I still love and prefere to focus manualy.



Dec 20, 2011 at 02:07 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


Other viewpoint:
It is 2011 and I would expect the possibility in any todays DSLR to offer a VF screen, that enables one to use the full power of the body - even up to MF.

This is not the fact. One can forget all existing bodys except the 1s (I guess) that VF sreens are not exchangeable. Or even if you can forget most of the exchangeable ones.
To be able to focus manual with my 5D II I had to purchase an OEM viefinder first.

Ralph



Dec 20, 2011 at 02:14 PM
FlyPenFly
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


The world's most enduring images and the world's most expensive photographs were taken with MF lenses.

I have nothing against AF as I have several AF lenses. I'm just saying, when you don't want to sacrifice image quality and you're not a SPRAY AND PRAY kind of photographer, thoughtful methodical use of a MF lens with careful composition and honing your craft to perfection is what makes lasting images.

if you're just shooting weddings to pay the bills, i can understand why you might dismiss MF. I've always detested wedding photography for that reason, they just click away and position themselves not as photographers but like a wedding planner.



Dec 30, 2011 at 10:11 PM
StarNut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


FlyPenFly wrote:
The world's most enduring images and the world's most expensive photographs were taken with MF lenses.

I have nothing against AF as I have several AF lenses. I'm just saying, when you don't want to sacrifice image quality and you're not a SPRAY AND PRAY kind of photographer, thoughtful methodical use of a MF lens with careful composition and honing your craft to perfection is what makes lasting images.

if you're just shooting weddings to pay the bills, i can understand why you might dismiss MF. I've always detested wedding photography for that reason, they just click away and position themselves not
...Show more

Wow. Obnoxious, supercilious, dismissive and self-important, all rolled up in one post.

Bravo!



Dec 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Crazy sharp Zeiss lens at LensRentals


Correction: The world's most enduring images were painted with a brush.

Throw away your silly MF camera and produce something truly awesome! True meticulous vituosity comes from the tips of your fingers, not some silly external lens.

If that still seems too modern, try Flintstones' tech.

(Couldn't resist -- Thanks Fly, and assist by StarNut)

Happy New Year!!



Dec 31, 2011 at 12:23 AM
1       2       3      
4
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password