Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

lowbone wrote:
My 100-400 image jumps all over the place whenI forget to turn IS off while on a tripod.

cwwo wrote:
...One morning I was using live view to compose my shot and the image in live view would not remain steady. I turned IS off and the image in live view remained still.

Yep. For every action there is an equal and oposite reaction, and on lenses that lack tripod detection it can start a feedback loop that makes the image less stabile when the camera is held on a rigid tripod rather than by a moveable person.

Dec 15, 2011 at 08:27 PM
bipock
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

AGeoJO wrote:
Then you may want to have your 500mm checked. Especially, on a long lens like that, even mirror slaping can cause some camera/lens movement that can lead to some blurred images. The IS can help minimizing that and I would leave it on all the time but that's me.

Explain. Several members report seeing the image "float" back and forth when IS is ON and the lens is on a tripod. Same thing I see - it is trying to stabilize something that is already stabillized.

I did plenty of testing this assertion when I bought the 500. My results showed that IS on and on a tripod resulted in less sharp pictures. FWIW, I also use an RRS telephoto support and that alieviates the mirror slap problem.

Dec 15, 2011 at 08:53 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

To answer the previous question, I was shooting at 1/800 second, F4, ISO 400.

Dec 16, 2011 at 04:41 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

I turn IS off on tripod. I have no super-teles.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:10 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

bipock wrote:
Explain. Several members report seeing the image "float" back and forth when IS is ON and the lens is on a tripod. Same thing I see - it is trying to stabilize something that is already stabillized.

I did plenty of testing this assertion when I bought the 500. My results showed that IS on and on a tripod resulted in less sharp pictures. FWIW, I also use an RRS telephoto support and that alieviates the mirror slap problem.

So you are saying that Canon don't understand how their own IS works. Because in the manual for my super-teles they say the IS can be on. And they also write that in the 4 different Canon Lens Works books that I own

Dec 16, 2011 at 06:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bipock
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

Lars Johnsson wroteSo you are saying that Canon don't understand how their own IS works. Because in the manual for my super-teles they say the IS can be on. And they also write that in the 4 different Canon Lens Works books that I own

Not at all. I am saying that, in my use and testing, the results when mounted to a tripod are better with IS off.

That said, I will continue to turn it off until someone proves otherwise to me. You may feel free to leave your's on.

Dec 16, 2011 at 01:35 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

It's already proven by Canon that it's ok to have IS on when shoting with tripod and using the big super-tele lenses. If your results are bad with IS on, then it's either something wrong with your lens or with your testing.

Dec 16, 2011 at 04:57 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

Yes, Canon indicates that super teles are designed that IS can stay on when mounted on tripod or other firm support. I expect this capable of dealing with any perceived movement or vibration of the super tele range.

Canon has also said earlier that IS should be turned off for tripod mounted shorter lenses, as it introduces its own attempt to counter non-existent motions, leading to blurring. I don't know the current status of their IS, especially the hybrid IS, but I still turn off on the two I have (15-85 and 100L) when tripod mounted. In the past, I had seen IS introduced blurring on my 18-55, 28-135 and 55-250, so I'll stick with the safe approach for tripod mounted time exposures and turn off the IS.

I don't have any super teles, but it would be an interesting study to see if there are any ill effects on tripod mounted time exposures, or whether Canon's endorsement only holds true for "live action" shorter exposures. I seriously doubt that IS can be left on for a 10 second and longer exposure with any lens without suffering IS-induced blurring.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:08 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

A few experience based rules of mine which work for me with supertelephotos:

(1) 200mm and 300mm, always used handheld, IS generally off unless low shutter speed or long/smooth panning tracking.
(2) Handholding or monopod mounted anything 400mm and longer: IS always on.
(3) Tripod mounted 400mm and 500mm: IS off unless low shutter speed or wind.
(4) Tripod mounted 800mm: IS always on.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:28 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Do you use IS when on tripod?

I use a heavy tripod and have seen some camera movement with live view on in the wind on non-is lenses. And mirror slap is a problem with long lenses. So it would be great if you could use is on a tripod to clean things up, but i suspect it wouldn't work. I think a 1/800 ss might be fast enough to not need is and would try a lower speed. Looks like some people say Is works on a tripod, so I'll have to get off my lazy and test it myself. Generally the best way.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password