Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Einstein Handle

RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Einstein Handle

Gregg Zivney, the creator and fabricator of the Wizard Bracket, has come up with an awesome looking, custom made handle for the PCB Einstein flash head. I know I'm dying to some kind of handle when trying to adjust the light with the octobox on it. He hadn't planned on offering them for sale, but if we can get enough people interested he may make a limited edition batch. I have no idea the cost, it will depend on how many people may need.

Is there any interest in a product like this?

Custom Einstein Handle

Edited on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:06 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Einstein Handle

Why do you need a handle? The only time I've seen a light that couldn't be accessed was when it is mounted in an elinchrom octa.

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:16 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Einstein Handle

eSchwab wrote:
Why do you need a handle? The only time I've seen a light that couldn't be accessed was when it is mounted in an elinchrom octa.

The Einstein is very compact, almost cubic, and the housing is smooth plastic. There is nothing to get hold of to manipulate direction, without grabbing the softbox or octabox Ė and the PCB/Balcar mount on the light isnít renowned for its resilience to weight and movement.

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:14 PM
c2thew
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Einstein Handle

personally i'd rather have a closed loop handle as a solution. The handle that you propose won't allow me to carry two strobes in one hand when packing or setting up if that makes sense.

the handle on a elinchrom d-lite would have worked superbly with the einstein, but alas PCB didn't implement a handle.

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:10 AM
Csae
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Einstein Handle

Can you show the handle inserted on an Einstein ? Kinda curious about it.

How would you grib an einstein holding a large modifier?

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:58 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Einstein Handle

See the photo above. I am not affiliated with Gregg at all, I just wanted to get a couple of these handles!

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Makea

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Einstein Handle

The photoflex starlight's (continuous lights) have handles on the heads. Kinda. They give you a screwdriver that can fit into a shaft on the head. Very useful for hot lights.

I wouldn't mind having a handle when working with larger modifiers on Einstein.

Dec 14, 2011 at 07:02 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Einstein Handle

So does anyone want to commit to a handle or two

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:55 AM
JohnR84740
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Einstein Handle

I saw the thing the other day and was starting to source the parts. Sign me up for two of em if the price is right!

Dec 15, 2011 at 03:31 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Einstein Handle

I'd buy two depending on the price.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hondageek
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Einstein Handle

I've done the same thing, sort of. When I use one of my heavier Chimera softboxes, I just stick a phillips head screwdriver in the umbrella hole and snug up the set screw.

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:25 PM
Dave Jr
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Einstein Handle

I saw his thread on the PCB Tech forum and posted to put me down for four, that still stands, depending on price.

Well, three anyway, I'm using this excellent mod by Tetrode on my fourth...

Link to mod, (scroll down a bit)
http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2520&start=30

Dec 21, 2011 at 07:48 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Einstein Handle

Dave Jr wrote:
I saw his thread on the PCB Tech forum and posted to put me down for four, that still stands, depending on price.

Well, three anyway, I'm using this excellent mod by Tetrode on my fourth...

Great, it also solves the flimsy mount problem when using large modifiers Ė the mount now only has to support the weight of the light, not the modifier.

I also see added texture on the housing. Any idea how this was done?

You would think Buff would fix the handle and untextured housing in the future, but I canít see him changing mounting systems.

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:38 PM
Dave Jr
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Einstein Handle

Yes, Dave (Tetrode) used one inch 3m Stair Tread Adhesive for that.

The grip head mod is absolutely rock solid, and if you want to secure the floating strobe head, check out page one of the thread I linked to. His threaded rod mod from page one will secure the head to any large modifier so it can't fall off, and keeps the modifier from pulling away at the top of the strobe.

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:52 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Einstein Handle

Dave Jr wrote:
The grip head mod is absolutely rock solid, and if you want to secure the floating strobe head, check out page one of the thread I linked to. His threaded rod mod from page one will secure the head to any large modifier so it can't fall off, and keeps the modifier from pulling away at the top of the strobe.

Theres no way I would depend on the mount supporting a monolight without that threaded rod.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM
Dave Jr
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Einstein Handle

I hear you on that, but I've been doing it for about six weeks now, with no issues. The mount fingers on my Einstein are very secure, at least so far. I know that many have issues, but the batch of four I received in November are very good.

If I were booming it, or hanging it upside down, I'd add the threaded rod.

Dec 22, 2011 at 03:13 AM
ericvgill
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Einstein Handle

I don't see why a counterweight isn't more functional than a simple handle. They run $39 or so...

Dec 22, 2011 at 06:22 AM
c2thew
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Einstein Handle

without a closed loop handle, it would be difficult to justify the handle that feeds through the einstein for transportation purposes.

Dec 22, 2011 at 08:31 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Einstein Handle

It's not for transportation as far as I'm concerned, I need a way to ain the head with a heavy Octo on the front

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:59 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Einstein Handle

C2thew, why couldn't you carry two lights with "T" shaped handles the same way? How far do you transport your lights anyway

Jan 02, 2012 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password