Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Differences between Gitzo monopds - GM2541 & GM 3551

PennsyBill
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Differences between Gitzo monopds - GM2541 & GM 3551

I've read the speficications sheets but am wondering about the "real world" differences.

The heaviest rig I put on is my D3s and Nikon 200-400mm f4 lens and I'll be using it to shoot youth soccer with a RRS head.

Gitzo has a rebate program running and the final price differences would, as I remember, be about $60 --- and the shipping is free.

The 2541 is rated to hold 26.4 pounds and extend to 63" while the 3551 will hold 39.6 pounds and extend to 75.6".

I'm leaning toward the more expensive 2541 - I'm not tall but I like the idea of not needing to extend the monopod to it's limit and I also like the extra weight bearing capacity --- but if I just go by the specs, the 2541 should be OK.

Any thoughts or suggestions (not a different brand please) about why one might be better than the other.

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:44 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Differences between Gitzo monopds - GM2541 & GM 3551

I would probably go for the series 5 GM 5541 because your equipment are big and heavy. I use that one together with the RRS monopod head for my big lenses.
Out of those two you where looking at I would take the strongest. The series 3 GM 3551. I think a series 2 is too small for your equipment.

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:46 AM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Differences between Gitzo monopds - GM2541 & GM 3551

I like my Gitzo GM3551 combined with my Really Right Stuff monopod head. My biggest lens is a little lighter than yours, and for it I also would not want to have a lighter monopod than the 3551. I have never used a stronger monopod than it, but I do not have any larger lenses like you and Lars do.

The GM3551 has a lot of height available, and has 5 sections, so for most uses you do not need to extend the smallest section at all. In that configuration you have more stiffness than the rating might represent. I happen to like the extra length occasionally, but only need it for special situations.

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:25 PM
ishootsports3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Differences between Gitzo monopds - GM2541 & GM 3551

I think I have the 3 series and its plenty strong for my old 400 2.8 (AF-i, almost 15lbs) and a D3

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password