Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Small shoulder bag- crop body and lenses for travel?

umihoshijima
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small shoulder bag- crop body and lenses for travel?

I'm looking for a small shoulder bag that can hold my canon 20D with an attached 17-85, a spare battery or two, and possibly one or two primes (I have a nikkor 2.8/28 and the rokkor 1.2/58). I know that if I can carry my primes separately, a holster-type bag may be the best way to go - but I kind of want some way of carrying the lenses together with the camera.

Are there any better alternatives for traveling with a small setup like this?

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small shoulder bag- crop body and lenses for travel?

Think Tank Retrospective 5.

I really like mine thus far. I recently used it comfortably with a Nikon D300 and 24 2.8, 50 1.2, and 105 2.5 manual focus primes. Note, these primes are fairly slender so three fit comfortably in the bag. AF lenses tend to be a bit wider but on my next trip I hope and expect to be able to carry D300 w/ 16-85 AFS, 35 1.8 AFS and 105 2.5 MF lenses. Additionally, it'll accomodate spare batteries, a few filters, memory cards, wallet, keys etc.

I like the retro styling and the fact that the bag doesn't look as much like a camera bag as some do.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM
GeneO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small shoulder bag- crop body and lenses for travel?

I know these are not the fashionable choice as they look like a camera bag (!), but they are well-built and functional. I spent 1/2 day in a camera shop looking for bags that would fit my 1D3 with a 35L and 135L and possibly another lens. The Tamrac Pro 8 (Model 5608) worked out well for me. I can just fit a 1D3 with one of the following lens attached and the remaining two in the bag: 135L, 35L, 16-35L.

http://www.tamrac.com/5608.htm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/169549-REG/Tamrac_560801_5608_Pro_System_8.html

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:04 AM
rachelsdad
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small shoulder bag- crop body and lenses for travel?

My travel bag is a also a TT Retro 5 and I love it as well. I can carry my 7D with a 24-105 F4 on it and my 70-300L in the main compartment (very tight quarters, but it works for me). I carry a spare battery and other asorted small stuff tucked in the pockets. On the whole I am very happy. Steven

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small shoulder bag- crop body and lenses for travel?

check out a lowepro exchange messenger - I got one of these a while back because it was small enough to lay flat and put in my regular luggage as bag to use at my destinations, but I find I'm now using it constantly.

Add a timbuktu strap pad and you're in business...

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

Dec 14, 2011 at 03:37 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Small shoulder bag- crop body and lenses for travel?

I would look at either a small messenger bag or a small shoulder bag. Easiest to walk into a camera store with your camera and lenses and strobe and see what fits. The LowePro Nova series are good bags and they have waist straps or provision for adding one which can control the shoulder bag against swinging and catching on things.

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:12 AM
umihoshijima
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Small shoulder bag- crop body and lenses for travel?

I actually ended up with something a bit more compactů the CaseLogic Zoom Holster. I'm taking 2 small primes and the zoom - the main pocket of this holster fits the camera with the zoom attached, or the camera with a prime attached and a prime in the gap under the camera. I'm going to be choosing how to pack my bag every day and leaving lenses back at the hotel/relatives I'll be staying at. This seems to be decent for traveling light - I'll be back in a week!

Dec 24, 2011 at 01:43 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password