Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

Mrsekret

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

Next month I will be taking a trip to the Bahamas. While I will be taking my gear with me I would like to get a waterproof point & shoot to take on some adventures that I would not take my slr on ie: kayaking, surfing, snorkeling ect. I am looking for recommendations on quality waterproof point & shoot. Something I can hand off to my fiancÚ when we return for everyday photos. I would like to keep the price point under $300 but would be willing to go over for the right camera.

Thanks for your recommendations

Dec 12, 2011 at 08:47 PM
fotonix
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

I've had good experiences with two Pentax W-- cameras (W10 and W60) now handed down to my kids who are interested in photography. The Olympus "Tough" is another possibility to consider. The best is to go look, see, feel at a store and see which one works for you, where menus work 'logically', buttons are where you like them, etc.

Dec 12, 2011 at 08:52 PM
JackBarlow
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

check out the Nikon Coolpix AW100, pretty sweet little camera, I love the 240fps slow motion video. I haven't even messed with all the photo settings yet, but 16mp jpgs look pretty good so far.

I like using it with an eye-fi card with direct connect to my Android phone so I can upload/email photos to friends without having to go back to a computer.

Dec 12, 2011 at 08:58 PM
misterbill7718
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

I have an older Olympus "tough" and the performance is sub-par. I have looked into replacing it a couple of times an d the reviews on DPR suggest that it is still not as good as other current competitors. I would look at the DPR round-up review of waterproof cameras.

If you have a good point and shoot, you may be able to get a waterproof housing for less than the cost of a new P&S. A Canon s90 or s95 with a housing is going to out-perform any of the waterproof models.

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:51 PM
chupacabra31
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

I want to second the Olympus Tough as a suitable contender. It is far from perfect, but if you are persistent and use the manual controls, you can get some real nice memories with it! I have been on a few snorkeling trips all over the Caribbean and just love my Olympus Tough for those occasions. You just have to be realistic and remember that these little cameras are not going to get the same quality or even near the same quality as a DSLR and or a high end digicam with underwater case.

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chupacabra31
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

Few more pics from my Olympus Tough:

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:58 PM
SidewinderX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

There's a similar thread just a few posts down here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1064959

I'm looking at something similar and I'm considering renting one of the Sea & Sea cameras from LensRentals --- it seems like the $130 I'd spend on the rental will get me better quality than the $250 I'd spend on my own camera (The Panasonic TS3 seems well reviewed, if I decide to buy my own).

Edit: chupacabra31, those photos looks great! Were you using a flash? Any tips to someone who hasn't snorkle-photo'ed before?

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

I do not recommend using a flash while snorkeling unless it's a really dark day. There's enough natural light (in the Caribbean) down to about 40 feet for good results with a digital. Another thing to watch for is overexposure / underexposure when the background is a very sandy bottom. Exposure compensation on the fly becomes necessary as the background changes Also based on my experience P mode usually does very well in shallow water vs using Manual settings, but I do shoot both ways. Try to keep distance between camera & subject short for best results & use ISO 400 if the camera isn't too noisy at that setting. Dive down to photograph fish for the best look because shooting down at them makes for boring photos.

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:28 AM
chupacabra31
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

SidewinderX wrote:
Edit: chupacabra31, those photos looks great! Were you using a flash? Any tips to someone who hasn't snorkle-photo'ed before?

Thank-you so much!

I usually have the flash off (Unless I am doing macro). Mainly because of Marine Snow (free floating detritus that is magnified and ruins an image) with the built-in flash (not as much of a problem with an external strobe or dive flash light).

They have these dive flash lights (the local dive stores) that are very inexpensive that I would get and spot light your subject and hold (offset from your camera to overcome marine snow)if it is overcast or your deeper then 5 feet.

I use manual mode and try to get as high shutter speed as possible to offset the movement from me (bobbing in the water is not conducive to sharp images). sometimes I was able to hold onto a rock in order to help stabilize myself. I try to keep my aperture wide open vs higher ISO since the digicams do not do high ISO at all well.

Oh and get an otter case (not very expensive) to hold the camera if you are going to be in the water for longer then an hour. These cameras (not all) are only rated waterproof for a limited time (I think mine is 1.5 hours). Also if you free dive an otter case lets you do that as they are usually waterproof up to 130 feet!!

Also if your going to use a waterproof case with your digicam be sure and get one of these:

http://www.fantasea.com/s.nl/it.I/id.58/.f

These help big time!

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:56 AM
Mrsekret

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Waterproof Point & Shoot

Thanks for all the recommendations. Good advice from everyone thanks

Dec 15, 2011 at 05:10 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password