Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

trueimage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

http://www.kata-bags.com/product/0/KT%2BD-3N1-33/_/3N1-33_for_DSLR_wlong-range_zoom_lens%2B_5-6_lenses%2Bflash

anyone have any experience with this bag / company?

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:12 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

I have the 3N1-30 which is the same except for the laptop slot. I like it a lot, it is very well made and comes with a nice rain cover. The pack itself is very comfortable and carries the load really well. Depending on how you pack it, some of the deeper areas are hard to get to unless you take it off and rummage around, but so far it is my favorite bag for short trips or for not carrying a lot of gear. You can get a lot of gear in it for it's size. Very well made, just wish it had more pockets for things like filters or easier ways to attach small pouches to the outside.

I did come up with a way to attach a small bag to the outside using some snap in buckles and using some webbing.

Worth the money at least for me.

Alan

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:10 PM
trueimage
• • •
p.1 #3 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

Great! thanks.

The dimensions look right for carry-on, and are different than the 3N1-30.

This is my current gear list, do you think it would fit?

5D2
24-70L
135L
50/1.8
100-400L * pending purchase
580EX II *
2x III
90 TS-E

It seems like it would

(plus my macbook pro 13" in the laptop slot)

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:18 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #4 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

I have four Kata bags and love them all (...ok, I love some more than others).

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:08 AM
trueimage
• • •
p.1 #5 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

I bought it. The main compartment is tricky to get into from the front to organize but I think once I get it setup it will be good from the sides.

We'll see how it handles this trip.

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:53 AM
Mike K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

These user reviews are of the Kata 3N1-30

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=629000

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=637536

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=641294

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

I have the 3n1-30. I haved used it for 2 years and carried it about 1000km and lots and lots of elevation gain. It is big enough that I often carry 7d,5dii, 24-70, 17-40 and 100-400. And spot, iphone, ... and rain protection and sandwich and water.

It is not a perfect bag but nor are others.

The straps tuck in, it goes under an airline seat and overhead as well.

It is adjustable with a stomach strap.

The two things it does not do well are:
1) It is not easy to attach a tripod - there is no obvious spot to hang. I bought a gitzo tripod strap and attached it to the handle and use a bungee cord to keep the tripod from bashing my legs
2) It is not a snug fit and sticks out a bit on the back so you have to be a strong carrier but if you want to take as much as I do, thats just the price of bringing a camera.

I just bought the 3n1-33 (which also permits my laptop) because I like the 3n1-30 so much and want to bring my laptop too.

I have yet to find a better bag, but if I was on a long distance hike that required a sleeping bag and tent, I would lighten up and bring a real back pack.

So if you are looking for the best hiking bag, keep looking. If you looking for a does everything bag, this is it.

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:45 AM
mrbig

p.1 #8 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

I have the 2n1-20 and I finally quit using it. There were just too many buckles and zippers to have to deal with. It got confusing remembering which direction to zip when opening a side flap, and then there was always a buckle in the way. If you need a simple pack with side access, check out what Tenba or Lowepro has to offer. I eventually got an f-stop pack and I think it's one of the best around.

Edited on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:28 AM · View previous versions

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:52 AM
euronail
• •
p.1 #9 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

I was looking at this but ended up with Tamrac Evolution 9. Tamrac is sturdier, easier to put in and take out the camera especially if you have a big body camera. I have 2 D2X bodies.

Plus Tamrac has pocket holder for your tripod which Kata does not have.

Tamrac's zippers are easier to operate as well.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:05 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

I have that bag - bought it from BH 2 years ago for about 125.

You can buy a tripod attachment for that Kata bag - it basically attaches to the bottom two clips and that center ring higher up in the middle. I'm not sure I would like that so I never bought it.

I stick a 1d3, 70-200 f2.8, 24-70 L, 16-35L and pick 3 of (2 TCs and 2 flashes) and there's room in the top pocket for whatever else.

I find that it's a very comfortable bag but I agree that it's a bit of a PITA to get IN to the bag. If you can arrange things so it's avaliable from the side it's pretty easy.

The other minor problem I've had is that when you don't have the camera stuck in where it goes, some of the other things inside the bag will flop around and pop out of their little area.

It's not quite wide enough for me - I can just barely get a 1d3 and a 70-200 (attached) into the bag, and it's a definite stretch with a 300 f4. I'm not sure where that would leave you with your 100-400 but I usually have to carry the 300 f4 in the very top compartment.

I guess the main problem with backpacks is that they're either big enough to carry everything and subsequently weigh a ton, or they're not big enough to carry everything and they don't weigh a ton. This one is the latter for me and it's kept me from buying another backpack for the last two years, so I guess that's saying something.

Dec 24, 2011 at 04:27 PM
theMAGE
• •
p.1 #11 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

crteach wrote:
I have four Kata bags and love them all (...ok, I love some more than others).

I have three Kata bags (a holster, a sling and a backpack) and I love them all. I do use them differently, but that depends on where I'm going and how long I'm staying.

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:55 AM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #12 · Kata 3N1-33 bag

hi,

I own a 3N1-30 that I had set up to carry two cameras with lenses - here's what I wrote at the time it the link at the bottom of this page:

http://rkgphotos.com/news.htm

I was attaching a fairly large tripod on the back as shown.

what I really liked was the side entry hatches so you could get gear out without
having to do the "bag dance"

What I don't like are the things described above by other posters - there's not enough attachment points on the outside for stuff like water bottles (it seems like bad karma to put one inside the bag - leaks happen), filters, etc., and the straps aren't the most comfortable - particularly when the bag is heavily loaded...

I've kept it and still use it occasionally for local stuff because of the side hatches, but I don't use it
for travel anymore as it gets kind of painful to carry a pack w/o an internal frame full of cameras/lenses/netbook, etc. What I ended up getting/using is an F-stop Loka -Crazy expensive now, but great for hauling lotsa gear and actually working out of it. I'll also often throw one of those cheap lowepro messenger bags in my checked luggage for use when I get to wherever I'm going as well.

For frameless bags that can carry a computer, I really like my old Kata R-103, but they
don't make that anymore, so..

Good Luck,

rkg
(Richard George)

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password