Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Shutter Count Relevant or Not

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Shutter Count Relevant or Not

ggOk wrote:
... if the camera's been used and abused is low shutter count.

Used, yes. Abused, no.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:33 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Shutter Count Relevant or Not

It's sort of like pixel peeping, it is important to us because now there is a way to do it.

In 20 years I have had maybe 50 cameras or lenses with shutters in them. I have had a few Hasselblad lenses need repair and a couple large format Compur? Copal? shutters go out (but not from overuse, some were 30 years old!) and one Canon 1D Mk2 shutter replacement. Otherwise I have no idea how many 'clicks' or 'acutations' are on any of my gear...it breaks when it breaks....

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:42 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Shutter Count Relevant or Not

Micky Bill wrote:
It's sort of like pixel peeping,..

, but less productive.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Shutter Count Relevant or Not

Micky Bill wrote:
It's sort of like pixel peeping, it is important to us because now there is a way to do it.

I can't do it with my camera. And I belive only Canon can do it with all the latest series 1 bodies.
So how is there a way to do it

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Shutter Count Relevant or Not

kbarrera wrote:
I guess you're right. We are talking about a frickin camera here. But as as the owner of a construction co. If I were to sell a backhoe and told the buyer it had 20,000 hours on it and it really had 60,000, Mistake or no mistake, I'd be writing this post from my hospital bed. That being said, I think I will keep the camera and use it til the shutter craps out. When that happens I will just replace it.

Thanks for the input.

Al

But if you where buying a backhoe, wouldn't you check it before buying ? Not just reading an ad on a buy/sell forum and trust that, like people do with a camera
Shutter count is not more relevant when buying a camera than checking all the other parts in the body. Probably less important because it's rather easy to detect and change the shutter

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:01 AM
mspringfield
• • •
p.2 #6 · Shutter Count Relevant or Not

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
[

But if you where buying a backhoe, wouldn't you check it before buying ? Not just reading an ad on a buy/sell forum and trust that, like people do with a camera
Shutter count is not more relevant when buying a camera than checking all the other parts in the body. Probably less important because it's rather easy to detect and change the shutter

Yes I would but would your rather buy a backhoe with 3000 hours on it that is beat all to hell or one with 30,000 hrs that has had the oil changed regularly and kept out of the weather? Camera's are the same. Would you rather have a 1 Series camera with 150,000 clicks in a studio or one with 10,00 clicks that has been used to shoot something like surfing in a wet, salty, windy, sandy environment? Yes, shutter count should be considered if known but I think too much emphasis is placed on it. Just like anything mechanical a shutter can go out any time. Nikon F5 film camera have been known to go over 1,000,000 frames but others have gone out after a few hundred. Just because I buy a low shutter count camera and the shutter goes out a month later doesn't necessarily mean the seller lied about the count or internationally deceived me. Shutters, AF, batteries, etc, going out are chances you take when buying used. It is a trade off for getting the item you want at a cheaper than retail price. I think too many people want to buy used and want the same guarantees as if they had bought new. Yes, sellers should be honest about the condition of the things that they sell but they should not be required to provide any kind of warranty.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:55 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #7 · Shutter Count Relevant or Not

Pink Floyd's song seems appropriate here

"The body's the same in a relative way but the shutter's older
Shorter of breath, and one click closer to death."

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:42 PM
mspringfield
• • •