Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

anakha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

I'm planning an African Safari for next year and plan to take some Lee filter kit to use with a 50-500mm Sigma OS lens and a 24-70mm zoom lens. I'll be aiming for nice safari telezoom photographs and some wide angle long exposure shots of Victoria Falls and the garden route coastline of Sth Africa.

I'd like to avoid the need to take the lens hoods for either of those two lenses by instead taking a collapsible Lee Lens Hood.

However, I'm unsure of which lens hood to take (Lee makes quite a few different kinds: see http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/accessories/leefilters.html ).

The filters I will take with me include:
Big Stopper
0.9 ND
0.6 ND Grad
Circular Polariser

So the lens hood needs to be able to prevent ghosting at 500mm and avoid vignetting at 24mm on a full frame camera. It also needs to be able to work with the C-PL.

I will have 95mm and 77mm adaptor rings to fit the foundation kit and/or lens hood.

Lee makes lens hoods which either fit directly onto an adaptor ring, or onto the end of the foundation kit.

However, I'm unsure of whether the C-PL filter goes on front of the lens hood, or at the back of it between the adaptor ring/foundation kit and the lens hood.

Can anyone here advise me from their usage of Lee gear which Lens hood I should purchase?

Anakha

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:41 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

are you sure you want to go that route with those hoods?
are you going with someone?

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:10 AM
anakha
• •
p.1 #3 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

Sjms:

Yes - travelling with my spouse.

What do you perceive to be the downside of using a collapsible Lee hood?

Anakha

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:41 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

clumsy to setup and take down price limited use. i use a lastolite trigrip as a shade when i have assist or even on my own. it also quite useful in other ways too. as a shade a reflector and lastly even a makeshift fan
a few sizes to choose from
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lastolite+trigrip&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Dec 10, 2011 at 02:09 AM
anakha
• •
p.1 #5 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

SJMS:

I don't think that my spouse would be willing to hop out of the safari vehicle to hold up a shade over my lens whilst I photograph a pack of hungry lionesses who are squabbling over a carcass only 30ft away ;-)

I know that the Lee gear is not cheap, but it provides versatility across lenses and has good re-sale value (given the shortage of Lee Big Stoppers, they sell on eBay at more than double their original purchase price).

Anakha

Dec 10, 2011 at 02:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

does that mean you'll be jumping out though? why should she? i don't think one needs to do that at all. after all we are talking about something that extends no more the 6 in from your lens end. and i think you'll find you'll not use them as much as you think you will. their hoods aren't in real short supply just a few particular products are.

you have fun.

Edited on Dec 10, 2011 at 01:33 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

I safari in Africa regularly (about a dozen times so far) and never used such a hood. It is not that often that I shoot backlit lions and very rarely at such an angle that flare it is a problem. I do avoid the wide-ranging zooms which have shorter hoods of necessity. If you are shooting in APS-C format it is usually possible to extend the regular hood with heavy paperboard or a plastic tube. Whatever hood doohickeys you have should to be on the lens at all times so you can pick up and shoot within a few seconds.

EBH

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

sjms wrote:
does that mean you'll be jumping out though? why should she?

No, it is not allowed to leave the vehicles in the vicinity of such wildlife.

EBH

Dec 10, 2011 at 02:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

i am aware of the the safety limits imposed in such situations . i'm just trying to make a point. trying to wrestle around with additional moving parts hanging off the end of a lens isn't a really good option. where a simple parasol would do most of the job or something similar to it.

Dec 10, 2011 at 04:32 PM
anakha
• •
p.1 #10 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

SJMS,

I suspect you missed my joke - we won't be getting out of the safari vehicles, though we will also have a walking safari between bush camps with an armed guard. I'll move on my row to be sitting on the side of the vehicle closest to the animals, so having someone in front of me is not an option. My spouse would also not be interested in holding a screen/parasol constantly to shade my lens ;-)

I suspect that I may have to take the hood for the Sigma 50-500mm with me as the filters are more likely to find more use on other parts of the trip when I'm using the wide angle lens, eg when around camp taking panoramic shots, etc.

Fortunately, I plan to do a mini safari before I go at a local open plains wildlife zoo, which will give me the chance to test out various options and to see how efficient/cumbersome they are.

Anakha

Dec 11, 2011 at 01:12 AM
anakha
• •
p.1 #11 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

I contacted Lee Filters directly and posed my question to them. They advised that the Universal Hood was appropriate for my intended uses.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

I hope it works out for you. Do you have other lenses like a 70-200/2.8? If the 50-500 goes south, you should have a backup over 70mm and a faster lens can be useful sometimes.

EBH

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:47 AM
anakha
• •
p.1 #13 · Which Lee Lens Hood for African Safari?

EB-1,

Yes, I'll carry a second body with me with a telephoto zoom lens on it just in case the main lens fails.

Anakha

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:51 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password