FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

MarkB1
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Anyone else see this one coming, or entered before?

This is the one competition I considered entering for a long time but then I found out, after that fiasco last? time (about the wolf jumping the fence), I need Raw files to prove what I've done or not done to the JPG. I don't shoot RAW so I'm out but I think any number of you could enter with a good chance of winning something.

What do you reckon? Is it time for a macro invasion of the top comp's?

Here's the link : http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/temporary-exhibitions/wpy-entry/index.jsp

Mark

PS If people are interested and want peer review/advice before publishing - can have been previously published but not in ... read the info - or entering it wouldn't be difficult to set up a private web page for the purpose.

PPS I just saw this : For proof of authenticity, original digital camera RAW files (eg CR2, NEF, ORF etc) will be requested if your image reaches the Final Round. Original transparencies or negatives are also accepted. Digital images captured as JPEG are allowed, providing the original un-retouched JPEG is available for inspection.

So JPG is allowed. It wasn't last year. So It's an open question If I will enter. Probably will.

Anyone else?

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:59 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

I'm in -thanks Mark!

Dec 09, 2011 at 01:32 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Surely there are more interested in a possible 10,000 + English pounds first prize in probably the most prestigious photo comp of the year?

We have excellent macro shooters here with a good chance of taking something home and putting macro more on the map. It's good for the earth too, a little appreciation of the usually unseen creatures.

I don't believe it's just me and John so someone isn't telling, that's ok though - sneaky chicken. Just kidding, really.

There are so many categories we could enter - http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/temporary-exhibitions/wpy-entry/Categories.jsp And I for one could do with some experienced advice, an objective eye to counter my perceptions - I only ever entered one comp before and the judges were bought, but not by me.

I have a field of native bees maturing this summer and I will probably spend most of my time on them, 7 species so far, many shots for one unusual. And the Queen of the field, the Neon Cuckoo Bee is back, in the same spot, and doesn't look like going away any time soon - gotta get the light right for that one.

I'll be back. Mark

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Dalantech wrote:
I'm in -thanks Mark!

Sorry for late reply John, occupied you could say. I do believe it won't just be me and you but if so I would welcome your input at some time, when I've got something to show. It' s something of a project in itself, which category/s to enter and so on.

Closing date isn't until 23rd Feb '12. Not really far away. Will be in touch.

Mark

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

More info :

1. Entry enquiries

* Adult entrants

1. How many images can I enter? Adult entrants may submit a total of 20 images across the Competition’s categories. Up to 5 images can be entered into each category except for the following special awards: entrants to The Wildlife Photojournalist Award must submit 6 images; entrants to The Eric Hosking Portfolio Award must submit 10 images

2. Do I have to pay to enter? Yes, each entrant to the Adult Competition must pay a fee of £20.00.

3. How do I pay the entry fee? You must pay the £20.00 entry fee with a credit or debit card when you register online : http://www.nhmshop.co.uk/wpy-entry/2012/

Don't leave it too late or be too early, entries can be changed up until closing date of 23 February 2012 (23.59 GMT)

The way I read it that is 20 pounds sterling for all 20 (or less) entries.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Revisiting this thread after the link from the Artists' Bill of Rights post
Just want to say thanks for taking the time to post all this (including the one with Contributing Works and CC License; that was a good read, unfortunately no one has ever approached me for use of my images! lol)
It looks like stacking isn't allowed, which is imho an important tool in a macro shooter's arsenal

Feb 08, 2012 at 02:20 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

I saw that.

From the site : Multiple exposures are only allowed if this is a feature of the camera and the result is one single file. Entrants must state in the caption if their image is a multiple exposure.

I think the concern may be the time it takes to get the seperate images to stack may lead some photographers to use less than acceptable measures to achieve their ends. Such as freezing the creatures, or otherwise immobilising them that may be to their detriment. And, knowing human nature, I have to agree. The point being there is no way to tell who is using such techniques and who isn't.

It looks like everybody stacks these days but my natural repulsion to learning more tech stuff keeps me from it, for good or ill. I also think it's more important to be able to get the best out of a single exposure than to go for stacks.

I have asked the competition people about stacking and will get back if I get a reply.

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Hmm I didn't think of it in that angle. It may also make it too easy to include/exclude certain elements into the image, e.g. a flower in stack #13, etc. Going to be tough to sift through the RAWs if they ask for that too.

Oh well, I'm not a Luddite but stacking via software, ah that still eludes me. Have only tried manual stacking via PS but never gone beyond 3 images
That said, I've reduced my coffee intake to twice a week since this year so....

But I'm utterly surprised you have to travel to Eumundi just to sell prints? I'm sure there are closer markets nearby? The ALA does seem like a veritable and noble effort, but as you mentioned, poorly thought out in its execution.

That said, macro (or specifically insect macro) always seems like the red-headed stepchild compared to other genres of photography; I know most of my friends frown when I tell them I spend my weekends photographing insects. Yet inversely I love its lesser-known nature and niche, there's still so much wonderment to be found in the macro world.

The images do make less than desirable wall hangers. I have been prohibited by SWMBO to hang prints of dragonflies in the house ... currently only seascapes. Says much doesn't it?!

Feb 08, 2012 at 04:00 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2012 Competition Open - Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Unfortunately people are still very much moved by instinct, but emotionalised, so an insect is a thing to be rid of because it has another place - which is fair enough in the house. But the emotional content of war on insects is quite insane. Trouble is the society we have makes capital out of peoples lack of self knowledge and takes the war on insects out into the nature - how ridiculous. When you consider it has taken the race this long to realise we can't do without them. And if we don't start respecting them, and even putting their pictures on the wall, they'll stop doing their job in nature and we are all cooked.

Yes, Eumundi, only the tourists looking to get rid of their last Aus dollars valued my stuff enough for it to be worth my while getting out of bed for the market, those sleepless days of 600km round trips. Pity it all comes down to money.

My people love my stuff on the walls and the stuff I haven't sold gets rotated up and down the stairs.

The people at the ALA were upset when I told them someone (of them) f***** up when they didn't seek funding for photography as much as they did for everything else. They know public funding will stop and the private funding will want a return, for which they will need public support in terms of popularity and will then need the pix to attract and keep them coming back. Private funding always wants a return on its money in some form - one of the good reasons for not giving away your pix to them.

But they have told me they are going to try change things so there's money for good pix, we'll see.

Feb 08, 2012 at 04:21 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.