Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2011 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

ZoneV_Nikon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

BrianO wrote:
I'm moderately near-sighted. Legally, I need glasses to drive. I have good near vision, though, but I can't stand bifocals.

What I do is wear my glasses to the location of the shoot, then put them in a hard case that goes into a jacket pocket or my camera bag.

Without the glasses I can see the camera controls, LCD playback, etc. just fine. I dial the diopter correction on the viewfinder until that is also sharp without my glasses on.

Then, when I'm looking at the scene eyes-only everything is a little blurry (and the further away the blurrier), but when I
...Show more

+100000000
Exactly my method. I even shoot Division1 men's hockey (practically the hardest sport on earth to shoot when you have plexiglass in front of you) this way. Scope out the location first, then take the glasses off. The viewfinder corrects the vision, so the camera ends up being up to my eye more often, making for a better chance of capturing the action when it happens. Though a bit blurry, depth perception is great up to 20 or so feet away, and the camera controls are easy to see from a foot and a half away. Only issue is, I have to use my left (non dominant) eye whenever focus is critical, because it's less nearsighted, and the camera-face position (speaking for Nikon bodies) isn't as nice when doing that.

You'd be surprised how many pros do it this way. It's all about what is most functional and comfortable for the individual.

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:07 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I just ordered a set of bi-focal reading glasses. Clear on top with a magnifier on the bottom. It will be interesting to see how they work and if they do, I'll just leave them on.

PS... If you think needing reading glasses to see the camera controls is bad, try catching a fastball with movement coming in at 80+ mph. Everything is fine until it gets about 2 feet away and then it transforms itself into a massive, fast moving blur. Scared the crap out of me!

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

ZoneV_Nikon wrote:
You'd be surprised how many pros do it this way. It's all about what is most functional and comfortable for the individual.

see, "Left eye, right hand, or what?" 2008 Archive http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/632749/1

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:38 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I leave 'em on. For me, it is too much trouble to take glasses off and put them back on every time I'm making a shot. I do sometimes slide them down on my nose when using live view - hard to focus on the close stuff sometimes!

Yeah. I'm extremely nearsighted--my natural focus point is about six inches before my eyes. Great for Live View, so I look over the top of my glasses for that (back in my film days, I didn't use a loupe).

By the same token, I can't see beyond six inches with glasses off so they are always on. I don't have any real problem with it. For a number of years I used contact lenses, but frankly my vision is more critically acute with glasses.

Now that I'm presbyopic in addition to being myopic, that's more true than ever: Bifocal contacts are not for people who want to see well, they're for people who want to look good.

For straps I prefer the Domke Gripper (1-inch model). I do not like a bouncy strap at all, nor do I like a lot of bulk. I can wrap the Domke around my wrist. It's soft and absorbent. The twist-free metal turnbuckles are secure and don't require me to pay attention to the orientation of the strap when I clip it on.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jstephens62
• • •
p.3 #5 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I just got one of the Hoodman flip-up glasses. Only been out in the field twice with them, but so far I think it will work well for me.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1067

Dec 14, 2011 at 05:24 AM
dsr1
• •
p.3 #6 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I wear mine while shooting. I just pull them down on my nose and look over them through the view finder. When I need them for changing settings or checking DOF I just pull them back up into place.

Dec 14, 2011 at 05:43 AM
photosenior
• • •
p.3 #7 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

Has anyone tried these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-product-Hand-Grip-Strap-Nikon-D40-D40X-D50-D60-D70-D70S-D80-/160698541805?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item256a6126ed#ht_2635wt_952

Dec 15, 2011 at 07:14 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password