Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Nikon 35mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 30mm f/1.4

GOVA
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon 35mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 30mm f/1.4

I have both lenses and have used them with D7000.

The Nikon is just a fine lens. Sharp at f/1.8 BUT on cropped body it really makes it a 52mm lens.
it focuses slowly and it is plasticky and light.
The 5mm wider difference makes the Sigma much, much more desirable lens for indoor shooting. It actually makes huge difference as far as I am concerned.

Also, the max f of the Sigma provides 3/4 stop difference which can only benefit when needed.

Sigma is heavier and larger, but I actually like it that way. Balances much better on D7000.

I am getting rid of the Nikon 35mm.

YMMV.

Dec 09, 2011 at 03:36 AM
JHerr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon 35mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 30mm f/1.4

After 4 new copies of the Sigma I had to give up. I had one copy that I thought was doing great, but at distances of over 15 feet it would always backfocus by a few feet. I just couldn't handle the focusing problems, and even having it calibrated to my camera didn't help it.

But ofcourse this was all within the first year or so that the lens came out. The QC on it might have changed on newer manufactured versions.

Dec 09, 2011 at 08:33 AM
MalbikEndar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon 35mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 30mm f/1.4

> I've heard about front-focusing problems

Last time you were worried about back-focusing. On average you should be OK.

Dec 09, 2011 at 01:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nightlinedrive
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon 35mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Thanks for the advice guys!

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:47 PM
Berschwinger
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon 35mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 30mm f/1.4

I've owned the f/1.8g and the f/2D. I felt the bokeh was really nervous on the 1.8g, while I really like it on the f/2D. I sold the 1.8g and kept the 2d. The 2d just had a better tone to it.

I've been contemplating the 30mm 1.4, but I just can't get over the conflicting reviews. At photozone, the center sharpness is great, but looking at bythom's review, the lens just looks like junk. If the Monkey recommends it though, I'll give it more thought.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:53 PM
nightlinedrive
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon 35mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Haha, yeah. My main concern is the conflicting reviews. I think I'm leaning towards Sigma 30mm though because once it's calibrated, there doesn't seem to be even one negative review.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:57 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password