Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

Archive 2011 · Don't know where to go next
  
 
gregoryallen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Don't know where to go next


I think the 24-105L is a great lens for the money. It is my most used lens on crop as well as full frame. It also looks like the best deal price wise for you. When on crop it matches will with your 10-20mm Sigma. Same combo I use on my crop cameras. Good luck with what ever you decide to go with!


Dec 07, 2011 at 03:06 PM
bpark42
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Don't know where to go next


mjeffbr wrote:
as for the kinds of things I shoot (sorry for not bringing that up earlier), love portraits, pets and bigger animals like horses, low light photography, architecture, do not really care for macro, sports or wild life


...

mjeffbr wrote:
now it seems the question I have to ask is: what do you think of the 24-105, since it is by far the best deal, kinda dislike the f4, but love the IS idea, what are your thoughts?


Generally speaking, the 24-105 is a good lens. Not great, but good and quite versatile. As for your specific needs...

It is not the best lens for portraits, but it is decent if you aren't looking for very narrow depth of field. The same more or less appliess to pets & animals. Your 70-200 is likely to be better suited for that type of shooting.

For low light photography, the 24-105 can actually work quite well if you are shooting static subjects. For moving subjects in low light, you will have to look to a faster lens.

As for architecture, there is heavy distortion at the wide end of the lens, though it is less of an issue on APS-C. That said, the distortion is easily corrected in software these days, so unless you have an aversion to post-processing this probably isn't a big deal. The bigger issue may be that 24mm is not very wide on crop, and even on full frame 24mm may not be wide enough for a lot of architectural shooting. If shooting architecture, especially indoors, is a high priority you may want to reconsider one of the ultrawides.



Dec 07, 2011 at 05:34 PM
mjeffbr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Don't know where to go next


you mentioned distortion, what do you use for architecture?


bpark42 wrote:
...

Generally speaking, the 24-105 is a good lens. Not great, but good and quite versatile. As for your specific needs...

It is not the best lens for portraits, but it is decent if you aren't looking for very narrow depth of field. The same more or less appliess to pets & animals. Your 70-200 is likely to be better suited for that type of shooting.

For low light photography, the 24-105 can actually work quite well if you are shooting static subjects. For moving subjects in low light, you will have to look to a faster lens.

As for architecture, there is heavy
...Show more



Dec 07, 2011 at 05:44 PM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Don't know where to go next


mjeffbr wrote:
sigmas and tanroms can only be found via chinese malls


And?



Dec 07, 2011 at 10:01 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



mjeffbr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Don't know where to go next


Pixel Perfect wrote:
And?


that means they all have the same prices, the same few models in every store, never found a 30 1.4 for example, no tax papers, no warranty, no refund

for brands that are famous for not having quality control as their best attribute one should always think twice



Dec 08, 2011 at 12:01 AM
bpark42
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Don't know where to go next


mjeffbr wrote:
you mentioned distortion, what do you use for architecture?


I don't really shoot architecture. A tilt-shift lens would probably be the ideal choice, but I'm guessing the prices on the newer 17 and 24 at least will be crazy based on the other prices you listed. The old Sigma 12-24 is an option that I have some experience with. It is wide enough for tight indoor shots and has surprisingly low distortion.

If architectural photography is going to be a priority you could probably find plenty of information with a search or you could just start a new thread asking for more specific advice.




Dec 08, 2011 at 06:01 AM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Don't know where to go next


mjeffbr wrote:
that means they all have the same prices, the same few models in every store, never found a 30 1.4 for example, no tax papers, no warranty, no refund

for brands that are famous for not having quality control as their best attribute one should always think twice


Tamron QC is pretty good. I hear no more complaints about them than Canon. I would not worry too much about buying a Tamron. Sigma I agree you have to be more careful as regards AF accuracy.

But if they have no warranty or no refund then I would not go near them either.



Dec 08, 2011 at 09:58 PM
mjeffbr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Don't know where to go next


Pixel Perfect wrote:
Tamron QC is pretty good. I hear no more complaints about them than Canon. I would not worry too much about buying a Tamron. Sigma I agree you have to be more careful as regards AF accuracy.

But if they have no warranty or no refund then I would not go near them either.


actually they have a 7-day warranty period, but no refund

glad to hear about tanrom`s better reputation, will be checking them

thanks



Dec 08, 2011 at 10:32 PM
1      
2
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password