Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · D3 issues

ZoneV_Nikon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D3 issues

Are the black frames intermittent?

If so, this looks like it could be a shutter, mirror, or sequencing unit issue.

If you don't want to spend as much as Nikon charges, it is worth having an independent repair shop evaluate it, as it is now out of warranty, right? I can personally recommend Midstate Camera Repair in Warwick, RI. I'm a satisfied customer. Their name gets tossed around here every so often.

Check the battery and electrical contacts first.

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:00 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D3 issues

Matt OHarver wrote:
The lighting was ambient, no flash allowed during the ceremony, I went through and checked all of the files, each says the correct aperture and ss. I shot a session last night with the camera and lens combination with a new battery I picked up locally. And both performed flawlessly. I'm shooting basketball tonight and I'm going to use the same camera and lens combination as a wide angle baseline to see what happens. Will let you know.

At this point I believe it has to be a battery issue until I see it occur again. I shot a
...Show more

Sure is nice to hear your good news.

The reason I suspected 99.99% battery issue was because of what you wrote and my little understanding of how the shutter, sensor, micro-processor and memory works.

The electronic shutter will trip as long as the capacitive charge pump that is hidden in the grip of the DSLR reaches a certain set voltage level, it than release the latch that sets off the spring load shutters.

While the shutters (1&2) are open, the processor will process the signals from the sensor and store them in the Flash memory. While this is going on the set voltage level must be kept stable without rippples, but in case of unstable voltage level the process can be corrupted, interrupted or even reset. If that is the case the camera will not know, but the shutter will be ready to fire once again once the voltage level in the charge pump reach the set limit.

Note: The power requirement for the charge pump is a lot less than what is require for the sensor, processor and memory combine, and that is why it is causing what looks like a dark frame problem.

Hope your next test will be as sucessful as your last one.

Best of Luck!

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:57 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D3 issues

Glad it's looking better.

Well caught hans98ko!

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:59 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end