Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · RRS L-Plates

Spencer145

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS L-Plates

I'll be picking up an RRS L-plate soon and I'm torn between the with grip and without grip option. I'm probably wrong in this thinking, but would the camera be more stable if I got the L-plate that attached directly to the camera, rather then the battery grip?

Also, how obtrusive are the L-plates, is it something I'm going to want to take off when I'm not using my camera on the tripod, and how easy are they to take off and put on? If it matters it will be for a 5d II and the Canon battery grip.

Thank you.

Dec 03, 2011 at 08:29 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS L-Plates

IMO the L-plates become obtrusive when using the cam in portrait mode or when they cam + plate doesn't fit in the bag anymore. Attaching and de-attaching is done by a simple screw.

I only use one for the bare cam (so no battery grip), so, I can't help you on the stability part. But I don't think it'll be unstable.

Dec 03, 2011 at 08:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS L-Plates

I use body-only RRS L-brackets on my 5D, and previously did with 30D and 40D bodies. I also use RRS L-brackets with 1D-series bodies. Generally, I'll put on a bracket when I want to use a tripod or monopod, and just leave it there until I decide to take it off - usually because it fits better in a bag (as Daan mentioned), or because it just won't be used for a while, like when I'm shooting handheld or with a big lens that has its own RRS plate. I don't have any problems when shooting handheld over a RRS L-bracket. I have big hands.

Keep a hex wrench handy, and you can take it off in a flash. I 've used a body+grip with other L-brackets and simple bottom-only plates, and stability is only a problem when the grip isn't securely fastened. Generally, when you're using the L-bracket, you're in relatively controlled conditions, and so the extra power and portrait mode 'handle' provided by an optional grip isn't so important.

Dec 03, 2011 at 01:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS L-Plates

i have been using L plates since they originally came out. first one on a 1Ds. in any of my chosen bags to use everything fits if just a little tighter, i have not removed them from any of my cameras (1Ds 1D2 1Ds2 1D3 40D XTi currently D3 D700) until they were sold or needed a serious cleaning. the only one i do need to remove it on a little more often is my D700 so i can attach the grip occasionally (no L on the gripped version) and that is rare. once on they sort of meld into the camera in use. never truely obtrusive in the long run. on and of my tripods and other rigs w/o issue. as for as handheld handling with one on in landscape you'll probably have minimal to no contact. and in portrait it again has little affect on my grip.

it really depends on your usage. if you are a big tripod user and/or have other optional attachments in use you'll never have a reason to remove it. if its just the occasional use well its a toss up

i'm waiting to see what the come up with on the Fuji x10. i have a feeling due to its thickness it will be limited to just the base which is just fine for this one. Kirk already has a generic one that fits multiple models.

i know Cal is a big place but depending on your proximity to SLO you could eyeball them and play (aka: make an educated decision) while standing in their location.

Dec 03, 2011 at 03:00 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS L-Plates

I leave it (D300) on 99+% of the time. I also have the RRS mini-clamps and their cold shoe adaptor which lets me have another (or 2) mounting points for other things like a flash or wireless trigger or whatever.

Dec 03, 2011 at 03:34 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS L-Plates

I put it on only when I will be using a tripod. They increase both the bulk and weight of the camera.

Dec 03, 2011 at 03:41 PM
Larry Doonan

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS L-Plates

I buy a new L-plate when I buy a new camera and it never comes off. If weight and bulk are a problem don't buy a pro body.

Dec 03, 2011 at 03:48 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS L-Plates

I have not had a battery grip for any of my bodies for the last 8 years. I want my 5D sized bodies as small and light as possible, and having an extra battery on a camera seems like a total waste to me. In general I also do not feel the need to use a portrait orientation grip, but rather just turn the camera and leave my hand on the main body grip. So my experience really is only without a grip, and for that use I almost always have my Really Right Stuff L plate on the body. I do a lot of tripod work, and could not be without the L plate for that. For general use I also use the L plate for my RRS flash bracket, so I need an L for that too. Only if I am traveling light and planning on only hand held do I take my L plate off, and removal is a quick and easy thing to do. I just keep hex wrenches in several places in my gear bags, so I always can find one. It also happens that the pocket knife I carry has that size of hex wrench available as one of the inserts for the interchangable screw driver blade, so I always have that with me too.

Dec 03, 2011 at 04:07 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS L-Plates

I'm with sjms...just leave them all the time.

Dec 03, 2011 at 04:49 PM
soccerjoe5
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS L-Plates

Same here. It's on all the time.

Dec 03, 2011 at 05:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

codetalker
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RRS L-Plates

Also leave mine on all of the time - don't even really notice that it's there anymore.

Sorry - can't address the grip/non-grip issue.

Dec 03, 2011 at 05:48 PM
jwasacz

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RRS L-Plates

Just picked up my first plate after deciding that almost four times the price for the L plate version was just too much money. It would also force me to keep the WFT attached unless I was will to remove the plate. I don't take the WFT everywhere so that would get old quick.

I don't think the bottom plate adds too much bulk but I don't like the safety screw, causes the camera to not sit flat when the camera is set down on a flat surface. Just a little pet peeve is all. Otherwise the $55 was well spent.

Dec 03, 2011 at 06:38 PM
Spencer145

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RRS L-Plates

Thank you for the responses everyone. I think I'll be going with the non-battery grip version. The vast majority of what I shoot is on a tripod, so I suppose I have no reason for using the battery grip there. That and it's cheaper, and regardless of whether I think one might be more stable or not it won't matter because I got the non-battery grip version lol.

Dec 03, 2011 at 06:49 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RRS L-Plates

I leave it on camera, except when the grip is on (which is rarely).

Dec 03, 2011 at 06:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RRS L-Plates

neither of my L plates has stop screws. imo irrelevent on a body plate.

the only time i'm using my battery grip w/D700 is either handheld or with a long lens which the lens ends up being the clamping point.

Dec 03, 2011 at 06:55 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RRS L-Plates

I take any safety stop screws out of an L plate, because they really are no use to me on a camera body. I can see some people may want safety stops on a lens plate, by I prefer to not have them on lenses either.

Dec 03, 2011 at 08:52 PM
soccerjoe5
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RRS L-Plates

Mine's the grip option (5D II) and I love it

Dec 04, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Garry Gibson

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RRS L-Plates

I never take mine off, beside the convenience to hooking to the tripod it does provide a little bit of protection to your camera as well.

Dec 04, 2011 at 12:17 PM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RRS L-Plates

My 7D has an L with the grip option - before that I had the flat with NO grip option. I went to the grip because I shoot a LOT of portrait orientation, and NOT having the side bracket if you are shooting a lot of portrait is kinda dumb, IMHO. That said, for vacations, I could see poping the grip off, and leaving it behind (serious walk around mode)

Dec 04, 2011 at 06:41 PM
robscomputer
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RRS L-Plates

For the OP, I have both l-plates for the 5D markII, battery grip BG-E6 as well (Canon not aftermarket). I recently went to using only the l-plate and body, with out the battery grip after a long time of using battery grips with previous cameras.

I personally found that with the battery grip and l-plate, the camera felt very stable. I only removed it due to added size and downgrading to a smaller bag (Retrospective 20) from a Domke J1. Also note that while the battery grip is held by the tripod screw, it does have a larger base than a smaller quick release tripod base. Also the same goes to the RRS l-plate as it's a very large base and feels very stable.

As for the overall comfort, I never had any issues with my l-plate on a battery gripped body. The plate is contoured by the bottom, and the only part that stands out is the vertical bevel area which is in front of the ports. So technically, you will not place your hands on the corners in normal use.

But with the battery grip and l-plate, there is added bulk. Keep in mind, as it won't fit in any bag that is already a tight fit without a l-plate.

Dec 19, 2011 at 04:57 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password