Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2011 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

rhyx
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

It's a scam 100%. You'll receive the money, ship the lens, then PayPal will yank the money out of your account.

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:28 PM
grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

JohnBrose wrote:
Not always a scam just to send it to a different address. I often request people send equipment to me at my studio because that's where I'm at during the day. The Paypal address is our home address. You should just communicate with the person a bit and see if there are reasons. I would think if they have 6 valid transactions for similar items, things must be fine.

But you can have multiple confirmed addresses. If it's legit, no reason not to add the address. If he won't add the address, it may well be because he's not the account holder.

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:29 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Scams are everywhere.

For example.

Why pay $2,299.99 at amazon.com for the Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection: http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65115754-CS5-5-Master-Collection/dp/B004TH1RHA

when you can get it here for $60: http://hartford.craigslist.org/sys/2698718635.html

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:41 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

I live in Brazil and quite often I ask people to send things to a friend of mine @ Bradenton, FL. But I have 20+ feedbacks here and 100+ @ epay, both flawless, so people can judge if I'm a scammer or not. But I wouldn't do this if I didn't trust the guy.

Nov 30, 2011 at 02:02 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Have him send cash

Nov 30, 2011 at 02:50 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Nov 30, 2011 at 03:09 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

I believe charging PayPal fees is a violation of PayPal terms of service.

Nov 30, 2011 at 03:12 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Over $250 PayPal Scam

... If not, the scammer will open a dispute with PayPal and claim the item was not received. Even if the seller used delivery confirmation and can show the item was delivered, it will not help. Without proof of delivery using signature confirmation for items $250 or more, PayPal will take the funds out of the seller's account and return it to the scammer.

To me, the issue is much bigger than do I trust the buyer; it is, do I trust PayPal?

I used to have a PayPal account linked to my credit card. then I read the website Paypal sucks. It is a real eyeopener. I canceled my PayPal account, then re-opened it with a link only to a little used checking account with a very low balance. Then, whenever I make a big sale, I immediately withdraw all funds from PayPal.

This prevents the buyer from saying to PayPal that I only mailed him a brick, where he gets to keep my camera gear, AND gets a chargeback payment from my credit card. PayPal bitterly hates this, because it removes their power to chargeback for any and all reasons, without bothering to do an investigation.

This arrangement causes me huge problems when I buy, since PayPal withdraws cash that day, from my checking account, but will not give me credit for the cash transfer for 4 days. I'll put up with that, to be protected from unreasonable chargebacks.

Nov 30, 2011 at 03:19 PM
Eric Mastilak
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

The biggest problem is PayPal. They will assume the seller is guilty until proven innocent. I recently had a friend sell some high end video recording equipment. The buyer/scammer filed a complaint. Stupidly he filled his PayPal complaint before the package left the UPS office. He said the item was not as described. Yet it had not even left the UPS office yet. PayPal automatically took the money from my friends PayPal account. Luckily my friend was able to go get his equipment before it was on the truck. This is one of the reasons why PayPal is basically dead to me.

Nov 30, 2011 at 03:39 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Nowhere Man wrote:
Sorry for the slightly off topic. I can't find a link to contact a moderator on here to investigate.

All you have to do is look at the top right of each Forum page and it shows you who is moderating that forum at present.

It is not the job of a moderator to investigate the validity of a Buyer or Seller.

Lastly, try reading this: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1040165

Nov 30, 2011 at 04:53 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Glad you cancelled the transaction. I had several like this on Craig's list, too, and I reported them, not that it would do any good. I, also, no longer use Pay Pal. I do a bit of buying and selling here - quite a bit recently - and so far everyone has been ok - on both sides - with waiting for funds (personal check, etc) to clear. It's the only way I'll do it any more. Good luck with your sale!

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:54 PM
duffguy808
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Another thing you should watch out for long description message often written in poor English. Looking at my PM box, most of the messages are 2-3 sentences/phrases.

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:17 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Never leave funds in your PP account! Withdraw it the second you receive it.

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:29 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

I would be very careful sending to someone else address other than than actual FM'r. That is why I am always asking for verified paypal address. But in general everyone should start with something, so no posts or feedback not always bad.

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:38 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

hondageek wrote:
Never leave funds in your PP account! Withdraw it the second you receive it.

Agree on this, it happened to me that my money got frozen for 3 month!!!! while they investigated sale dispute between me and some as..ole. They unfreeze them and return all but time was lost...

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:43 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Paypal is not always a bed of roses: http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:50 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Sure looks like a scam. You will get lots of similar emails when you advertise on Craig's List.

When in doubt, ask for cash payment or COD i.e. meet in person. PayPal is not secure. You can receive payment on PayPal, but if it's a fraudulent transaction you will have to return the money to the bank afterwards!

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:41 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Breitling65 wrote:
Agree on this, it happened to me that my money got frozen for 3 month!!!! while they investigated sale dispute between me and some as..ole. They unfreeze them and return all but time was lost...

Even if you transfer your PayPal balance to your bank account, you are still liable if the payment you received was transacted fraudulently i.e. you will have to return the money.

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:45 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Please ask this guy to come to this thread and prove to us here that he is legit buyer.

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:48 PM
MDJAK
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Scam plain and simple

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:26 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.