Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2011 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:
Old? It's a relatively new design, less than 6 years old.

My gitzo is utter rubbish. I don't care where a tripod is made. It may be cheap to you but I paid $300 for it and I expect a $300 piece of equipment to last. I hate how the discussion on this forum always get xenophobic. The cameras we're using are all likely made in china...

My cheaply made bogen is still going strong. Gitzo is just a name. They are not God...

I'm sorry if I have offended you by bring up where stuff is made.

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:38 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

M635_Guy wrote:
Dude - I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've done a huge amount of research lately on tripods and Gitzo has an outstanding reputation.

Unless you do a search on stuff of theirs that is junk like the G2220. Point is that they make good stuff *AND* they make crap. In my case, they didn't back up their product so as far as I'm concerned, their reputation means nothing. I guess if you buy a $900 tripod you'll get something better...Big surprise but a $300 tripod should still be going strong. *AND* from the outside, the joints of the expensive stuff doesn't look any different than my explorer (which at the time I bought it was getting rave reviews from all the gitzo fans)

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:49 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:
Old? It's a relatively new design, less than 6 years old.

My gitzo is utter rubbish. I don't care where a tripod is made. It may be cheap to you but I paid $300 for it and I expect a $300 piece of equipment to last. I hate how the discussion on this forum always get xenophobic. The cameras we're using are all likely made in china...

My cheaply made bogen is still going strong. Gitzo is just a name. They are not God...

It's not a new design. The tripod was discontinued a few years ago.
And Bogen don't make any tripods. Maybe you talk about Manfrotto. And they are made in Europe and Italy just like Gitzo. And owned by the same company also

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:29 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It's not a new design. The tripod was discontinued a few years ago.
And Bogen don't make any tripods. Maybe you talk about Manfrotto. And they are made in Europe and Italy just like Gitzo. And owned by the same company also

Many of the gitzo designs are many years old. The G2220 is actually a fairly recent design. Fortunately they shot it in the head but instead of offering their customers a replacement or a few bucks off an upgrade they replace the original parts with NOS parts of equally horrid quality.

So again, reputation, support, customer service? Not in my experience. $150 to repair a broken nylon collar is what they wanted - and this for a DEFECT!

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Ben Horne wrote:
I'm sorry if I have offended you by bring up where stuff is made.

I work with chinese engineers on a daily basis and they are as good or better than their american counterparts. Racial profiling of equipment manufacturers is just silly and hypocritical since as mentioned before, we're almost all shooting on chinese cameras and editing the images on chinese computers/monitors.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:
I work with chinese engineers on a daily basis and they are as good or better than their american counterparts. Racial profiling of equipment manufacturers is just silly and hypocritical since as mentioned before, we're almost all shooting on chinese cameras and editing the images on chinese computers/monitors.

This is not a "Racial thing" This is about copy products. Most of the Chinese tripods are just cheap copy products from the well known brands.

I don't belive anyone here think Chinese engineers are less good than the ones from USA or Europe

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Everyone talks about how great Gitzo tripods are . I have one with several other brands to compare it with.

Frankly, it is the least favorite that I own. The twist locks are a PITA.

I much prefer my Manfrotto with its flip locks and their Neotec tripod, which has a unique leg lock system though a bit heavy.

Don't buy any tripod that has die cast parts such as on the early Feisol tripods.

Carbon fiber is the way to go.

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:02 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

martines34 wrote:
Everyone talks about how great Gitzo tripods are . I have one with several other brands to compare it with.

Frankly, it is the least favorite that I own. The twist locks are a PITA.

I much prefer my Manfrotto with its flip locks and their Neotec tripod, which has a unique leg lock system though a bit heavy.

Don't buy any tripod that has die cast parts such as on the early Feisol tripods.

Carbon fiber is the way to go.

IMO those twist locks are so much better than the Manfrotto flip locks. They are a lot faster also because you can unscrew all legs at the same time, instead of one at a time. And the flip locks you have to tighten all the time also.

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:49 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:

All my cameras were made in Japan.

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:27 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

one my tripods is made in the USA (and they say right down to the last screw)

on the G2220 explorer:
most users/purchasers of this particular model and its later versions have 2 distinct opinions:
1- i hate this thing
2- i love this thing
now i currently have a GT2540ex which is the evolved version of of the original G2220 (and i did own one of them and it has been out of the gitzo system a few years now)
what it is not- a generalized tripod
what it is- a good tool in the right hands of those who need or want a set of legs that go beyond the normal limits of the everyday tripod and understand the limits that need to be worked in.
it is not a fast setup model
it occasionally needs adjusting (tightening)
it is heavier the the equivelent standard model
it will do more (again i state in the right hands and its not for everyone)
i shoot a lot with the CF version GT2540ex

one mans poison is anothers pleasure

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
IMO those twist locks are so much better than the Manfrotto flip locks. They are a lot faster also because you can unscrew all legs at the same time, instead of one at a time. And the flip locks you have to tighten all the time also.

That is the point that has repeatedly failed so many users with the G2220 ...

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:28 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

I think you missed the point. I didn't complain about the G2220's functionality, setup, specialization. I complained because:

a) quality is poor
b) Poor customer support

sjms wrote:

on the G2220 explorer:
most users/purchasers of this particular model and its later versions have 2 distinct opinions:
1- i hate this thing
2- i love this thing
now i currently have a GT2540ex which is the evolved version of of the original G2220 (and i did own one of them and it has been out of the gitzo system a few years now)
what it is- a good tool in the right hands of those who need or want a set of
...Show more

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:30 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

sjms wrote:

on the G2220 explorer:

what it is- a good tool in the right hands of those who need or want a set of legs that go beyond the normal limits of the everyday tripod and understand the limits that need to be worked in.

+1 very true

Dec 13, 2011 at 06:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:
I think you missed the point. I didn't complain about the G2220's functionality, setup, specialization. I complained because:

a) quality is poor
b) Poor customer support

you know i used it for 4 years before i went to the CF update along with the additional load capacity. i can't say i had any issues other then overloading it at times. now i want specifics as to why its poor quality and what failed for you? and i have dealt with their customer support and with a lttle proper prodding i got what i needed from them. i also use the phone and not email too.

Edited on Dec 13, 2011 at 09:18 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:02 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

I have also used mine for at least 4 years. And I still own it. Works good and I have never had any problem with it.

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:10 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

I thought I already mentioned. The collar design is very poor and the nylon sheaths that contract as you screw the joints closed is prone to breakage. There is no good fix. Customer support would not address it because it's out of warranty even though clearly it's a design problem as a quick google search will reveal.

sjms wrote:
you know i used it for 4 years before i went to the CF update along with the additional load capacity. i can't say i had any issues other then overloading it at times. now i want specifics as to why its poor quality and what failed for you? and i have dealt with their customer support and with a lttle proper prodding i got what i needed from them. i also use the phone and not email too.

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:24 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Here's a quick link to amazon reviews about the G2220

http://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-G2220-Explorer-Section-Aluminum/product-reviews/B00006I59Z/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:25 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Here is a review of it
http://www.nathangriffin.com/technical/other/gitzo_g2220.htm

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=279&sort=7&cat=32&page=1

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:34 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Two23 wrote:
I've owned my Gitzo 1325 for about 8 years now, and give it nearly daily use in the worst conditions the Dakotas can throw at it. It's been stomped on by a buffalo and frozen into a block of ice in the bottom of my duckboat. It works as well now as it ever did, never has needed any repairs, and will probably outlive me. In the past ten years I've destroyed two cameras and four lenses, two flash, so you can assume I can be very hard on gear. My previous tripod, an aluminum Bogen, is still sitting in
...Show more

Yo Kent,

So you shoot for the WWE?

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:41 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Every time I read these posts, I hear how great the Gitzo tripod is as compared to the Induro/ Benro models. I always hear they're simply made better. As someone with a machinist background who fabricates a lot of my own camera brackets and support systems, I challenge those who make these claims to be specific as to the build quality and superior materials. Is the carbon fiber better? is the machining better? Are the bolts better?
is the design superior?
I have dissembled both Gitzo and my own Induro CT-414 and can't seem to find any discernible difference in build quality. Let's face it, tripods are not hand made. they are made using computer guided milling machines in an automated factory. the Chineses and Japanese are extremely efficient at this. the Germans are the best.
Regarding the Induro. the castings seem precision and the carbon fiber appears to be well constructed. ( I also build Graphite and boron Fly Rods)
So once again and be specific ! What's the difference? other than the price.

Al

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:52 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password