Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2011 · Just one Super-Tele...

eosfun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Just one Super-Tele...

I like our logic The 400 will always be capable to create gigapixel stiched wide shots, the 15 gives the opportunity of cropping to the FOV of the 400 in case you left the 400 home Any of them is EOSfun

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · Just one Super-Tele...

Glad I got the feedback I needed before the conversation went into the crapper.

Nov 27, 2011 at 03:12 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · Just one Super-Tele...

PetKal wrote:
I'd probably take 100-400.

Those heavy lenses you have mentioned do not zoom well, they are very expensive and a total pain to carry around and shoot with, lest you have a pod on you as well.

+1 because although I love 500F4, 50% of the time when I find a big animal, he is too close. If I could have just one, 100-400L. But when that 200-400F4 w1.4x comes out, things will change.

Nov 27, 2011 at 05:00 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · Just one Super-Tele...

Scott Stoness wrote:
+1 because although I love 500F4, 50% of the time when I find a big animal, he is too close. If I could have just one, 100-400L. But when that 200-400F4 w1.4x comes out, things will change.

When that 200-400L ships in 2015 you will need to sell both kidneys on fleabay to afford it. We might see a new 100-400L before this ships and even if it's $3K it'll be less than a 1/3 the price.

Nov 27, 2011 at 09:41 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · Just one Super-Tele...

Radical alternative - take a pair of image stabilised binoculars and leave the heavy camera gear behind. Then enjoy the holiday. Unless of course photography is the primary purpose of the trip, you'll probably appreciate it more without the camera gear. Whether you remember it better in 10 or 20 years is another matter but you'll have saved enough money to go again

- Alan

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Just one Super-Tele...

Alan321 wrote:
Radical alternative - take a pair of image stabilised binoculars and leave the heavy camera gear behind. Then enjoy the holiday. Unless of course photography is the primary purpose of the trip, you'll probably appreciate it more without the camera gear. Whether you remember it better in 10 or 20 years is another matter but you'll have saved enough money to go again

- Alan

Sony has a new pair of digital binoculars with camera built-in.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Will Patterson
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Just one Super-Tele...

300 2.8 and a 2x III. Amazing photos with that combo or bare.

Dec 06, 2011 at 04:17 PM
big country
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Just one Super-Tele...

if you care about weight, then get the 500mm f/4 IS.

if you don't care about weight, get the 600mm f/4 IS.

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:10 PM
Methodical
• • •
p.3 #9 · Just one Super-Tele...

Maybe, I read this wrong, but I thought the lens selection was limited to 400, 500 and 600.

Hrow wrote:
Here's the deal... if you were going on an extended journey across the U.S. and could get one super-tele for four legged critters, birds, compressed landscapes, and an occasional sporting event (surfing comes to mind) which would you choose and why.

Let's limit it to the 400 2.8 / 500 f4 / 600 f4 as the 800 is simply out of the realm of possibility from a cost perspective and the 300 f2.8 isn't long enough.

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:30 PM
ragebot
• • •
p.3 #10 · Just one Super-Tele...

My vote is for the 500/f4, a lens I own; and which is my most used lens.

There is one caveat however. I also own a Sigma 120-300/2.8 zoom, and had it before I got the 500. The Sigma zoom is very similar to the Canon in terms of weight and bulk, just a little lighter and smaller. When I opened the box BH sent the Sigma in my first thought was "this thing is huge". After about a month I went to my personal trainer, showed her how I was holding the camera/lens and she set me up with some specific exercises that over time probably improved my hand holding by a couple of stops.

But I also know folks who can not hand hold a 300/2.8, they have to use a tripod. On the other hand there are folks who can hand hold the 600/f4 or even the 800; especially if they have a monopod, which to some extent I often use for resting when I am carrying the lens on a hike. There is a real learning curve in using the super teles as well, both with and without a tripod. I have modified my shooting style when using the 500/f4, and I suspect most guys will say it is true for them as well.

The bottom line is that your shooting style and physical condition are big variables in selecting the best lens. For a lot of folks the 500/f4 is the biggest lens they can man handle, and lug around on a hike. For others the 300 is all they can handle while for some the 600 is within their personal capabilities.

YMMV

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:36 PM
dmcharg
• • •
p.3 #11 · Just one Super-Tele...

For travel hands down it would be 100-400. You just can't beat the flexibility. Alteratively it would be 300 2.8 & tc. I have travelled extensively all over the US and unless your specific purpose is birding the 100-400 is the way to go. I would identify places where you will need one of the super telephotos and rent for a short period to cover your needs. Use the money you would have spent on the lens and maybe some helicopter tours etc and you will have the trip of a lifetime.

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:29 PM
Tony B
• • •
p.3 #12 · Just one Super-Tele...

Will Patterson wrote:
300 2.8 and a 2x III. Amazing photos with that combo or bare.

My choice also. Always in my bag for when it is needed. When I'm too weak to carry it I'll buy a "gopher".
For weight challenged photographers. http://mike-buss.com/world-records

Dec 07, 2011 at 09:54 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password