New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · SpeckGrabber and sensors

Wayne Fox
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SpeckGrabber and sensors

I bought the SpeckGrabber Pro Kit from pictureline (made by Kinetronics). The idea is if you have a big "speck" on your sensor, you can just touch it with the special tip and grab it. No residue.

So tonight while editing my moon shot I see a pretty large spot ...sure enough a great big speck on the sensor that I can easily see using a bright light.

One touch with speckgrabber and its gone, with no residue or sign of being touched...

Appears to be a quick and effective way to get rid of those big specks ...

Jun 22, 2004 at 07:47 AM
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SpeckGrabber and sensors

How's this working out for you

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=258117&is=REG

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:14 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SpeckGrabber and sensors

your mileage might vary... I used a specgrabber before too, and while it did get rid of the larger sized spots, you wouldn't know where to aim at all for those spots unseen by the naked eye. Ended dabbing all over the sensor, and it left bluish (that's the color of the sticky rubber on the grabber) stick-stains all over it.

Jun 23, 2004 at 01:03 AM
Wayne Fox
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SpeckGrabber and sensors

Not designed to clean the entire sensor... if you can't see the speck with your eye and a bright light, you need to clean the full sensor.

I had one large speck and it worked great.... and occassionally I have an issue with a large speck but not enough smaller specks to justify a full sensor cleaning. Sometimes after I clean it, one large fuzzy is there and a CO2 blast doesn't get it ... another time for the speckgrabber.

Jun 23, 2004 at 04:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

trueimage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SpeckGrabber and sensors

doesnt co2 split some liquid on the sensor, or is that different than compressed air cans....

how do i test for dust on the sensor? I've had some spots in some shots, and none in others... maybe it was the lens etc...

Jun 23, 2004 at 05:15 AM
Wayne Fox
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SpeckGrabber and sensors

To find out about the correct CO2 cartridges to use, as well as cleaning, check out this article.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml

There are also a couple of long threads on both this forum as well as luminous landscape about it as well.

I've heard some say the CO2 spits oil, but I've never seen it from these. I always blast it against a mirror before I use it, just to make sure.

Never use compressed air cans, or other types of CO2 cartridges.

Basically if you can see the spot in the same place each time, its probably something on your sensor. If you can't see it in some, and its not because the area is dark, then its probably something else.

To check you sensor, just shoot a frame against a plain light colored wall, and then open up on your computer and see if there are any dark spots.

Jun 23, 2004 at 06:31 AM
Dimitris

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SpeckGrabber and sensors

Dust on the sensor shows up when you stop down the lens - pics taken at f16 or f22 show spots that aren't visible at f4. Easy way to check for dust: point the lens at a patch of clear sky, set f22 and focus manually to minimum distance. Viewing at 100% in photoshop will show all the dust - most of which will be nearly invisible in normal shots, so don't freak out! :worried:

Jun 23, 2004 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password