Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Best macro lens for 7d

HarleyJ2003

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best macro lens for 7d

I'm looking to Purchase a macro lens for my 7d. Just looking for opinions of best lens to choose. Any feedback would be great. Thank you

Nov 16, 2011 at 09:30 PM
rgold1963
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best macro lens for 7d

"Best" is subjective and would depend on what you like to shoot most of the time. I have owned the Canon 180mm macro and I still have the MP-E65. Both are fantastic but quite different. I have not shot with the Canon 100mm macro but have heard great things about it. The 180mm Tamron is really nice for the money and I have also heard the 90mm Tamron is a great lens. I am using an old 120mm Mamiya macro lens with an adapter now that I no longer have my 180mm.

Ron

Nov 16, 2011 at 09:51 PM
HarleyJ2003

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best macro lens for 7d

Ron, great response very much appreciated.

Nov 16, 2011 at 09:59 PM
Goldenorfe
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best macro lens for 7d

Hi there,
your best option would be either canon 100mm [ 2 versions L is or non is] sigma 105 mm or the tamron 90 mm,all very similar iq, and these will give a good working distance to learn macro.
it does really depend on what size subjects you will mainly be shooting.

phil

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM
HarleyJ2003

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best macro lens for 7d

Thanks Phil

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM
Obi-Wan

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best macro lens for 7d

I have a Tamron 90mm f/2.5 (52B) macro lens that I use on my Canon 7D. It works great, and I use it for a lot more than macro stuff. You can check out a full review of that lens that I just wrote a few days ago on the Prairie Rim Images blog:

http://blog.PrairieRimImages.com/2011/11/old-glass-tamron-sp-90mm-f25-52b-macro.html

I've also got a Nikon Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AIS lens that I love even more, although the focal length is a bit on the shorter side as macro lenses go.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RAF09
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best macro lens for 7d

Both the Canon 100s(L & non L version) are excellent on the 7D. I just got the L version for my wife for the IS handheld and she loves it. And with the crop factor of the 7D you can get a little distance between you and your subject if you need it.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:36 PM
HarleyJ2003

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best macro lens for 7d

Thanks again for everyones input. Hopefully I canmake a choice and pick up a macro lens to get started.

Thank you,
Joe

Nov 17, 2011 at 01:45 AM
HarleyJ2003

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best macro lens for 7d

1 more question. If I go with either the 100mm macro standard or L verison. Does anyone have any photos of what to expect. And would a flash be optional. If not what flash would work best. plan on shooting bugs and flowers.

Thank you,
Joe

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:18 PM
Jason OConnell
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best macro lens for 7d

I have the Tamron 90mm and love it. Sharp and inexpensive.

I wouldnt choose a lens shorter than 90mm (unless you go for the mp-e 65) as your working distance will be quite small.

This thread will give you an idea what people here are doing as far as macro/flash setups are concerned (some are pretty creative and impressive)

Also, if you notice a fair amount are shooting with the mp-e 65

Good luck

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best macro lens for 7d

In order to get light that's really well diffused you need to get the diffuser / flash close to the subject, so macro lenses that have a short working distance will make lighting the subject easier. IMHO, if you really think that you're going to be shooting a lot of macro, is to get an EF-S 60mm. Due to it's internal focusing it loses focal length at life size magnification and actually becomes about a 37mm lens. So you can add 37mm of extension and shoot at twice life size...

That's what I was doing with the EF-S 60mm when I had to send my MPE-65mm in for repairs.

Nov 19, 2011 at 08:58 AM
gmazza
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best macro lens for 7d

Is difficult to answer, couldn't find the best lens for your 7D because I'm not you, but I could suggest a way for you discover yourself what would be the best:

I think if you aren't exactly sure of what you intend to shoot at this time, any macro lens in the 100mm to 50mm (any brand, most macro lenses today are very sharp) will work to you, I would wait a little more to have the 100mm L is, will explain latter.

With any lens at this focal you could find what macro style fits best your work:

1. You find yourself shooting most of the times with tubes or reversed lenses for high magnification and closer view, the MP-E is the lens for you.

2. If you find yourself struggling for more working distance and compressed backgrounds, the 180mm is the lens you are looking for.

3. If you develop a good work at close-up distances 1:4 to 1:1 without the need of high mag neither more working distance, the 100mm is L is your lens.

4. If you discover the most of the shoots with the macro lens would be infinite focused portraits of people and pets (uncommon in this board but very common in 100mm and 60mm lens groups), trade the lens and get a 85mm or 135mm

5. If the most of the shoots were from home still objects, keep the lens intended for testing the water that should be more than enough for this use.

Edit: Added few more ideas

Nov 19, 2011 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password