Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

uroman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

All, I shipped a package by USPS registered mail. I did not realize it was so slow, my shipment has not reached the buyer in 7 days. Can someone reassure me about whether or not this is normal?

Sep 09, 2011 at 08:46 PM
Side1Cincy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

I shipped a computer one time via registered and I remember it was slow. This may be the slowest method, but it is the most secure. They keep pretty good track of who touches or where the package is it.

Sep 09, 2011 at 11:13 PM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

Same problem here. Very slow. A clerk at the PO told me it's due to having to be signed for at every stop along the way. You wouldn't think that would slow it that much but apparently it does.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:17 AM
uroman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

I shipped lens this way, since it was an expensive lens. I stated in the ad it was going to be shipped via registered mail but you can imagine the anxiety of the buyer, who is still waiting after 6-7 days.... any advice on this? I never realized it took this long. I was encouraged strongly by the USPS to send anything with value over $1000 by registered, but they never told me it took so long.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:57 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

Yup, it's like they're "walking" it there.
I always go Express (overnight) delivered next day by 3pm guaranteed, buyers love it on the high dollar
transactions...and I sleep like a chimp. Hell, there's even tracking and Ins. is a third of Priority rates.

Sep 10, 2011 at 01:27 AM
uroman
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

What do i do? The ad stated that it would be shipped registered, but the buyer, in 6 days hasnt received. I followed the instructions in my ad, but at the same time, I understand the anxiety of the buyer. Do we just have to wait it out? Is there any way to speed it up?

Sep 10, 2011 at 01:50 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

Guess you'll just have to wait it out. The buyer obviously agreed to the terms in your ad,
and I'm sure it'll show up soon...try not to worry. GL

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

uroman wrote:
What do i do? The ad stated that it would be shipped registered, but the buyer, in 6 days hasnt received. I followed the instructions in my ad, but at the same time, I understand the anxiety of the buyer. Do we just have to wait it out? Is there any way to speed it up?

What you do is wait.The ad stated registered mail and it takes as long as it takes. 6 days is not that long.
There is no way to speed it up.
Remember that just because the USPS will sell you insurance on priority/express packages that doesn't mean they will pay your claim or make it easy. Some items must be shipped via registered mail for insurance but I'm not sure if there is any crossover there to photo gear based on a dollar amount. Shipping via registered mail is still the most secure way to ship even though it is slow. The packages are locked and signed in and out each step of the way.
If you have an anxious buyer simply remind them that the ad stated registered mail and ultimately that's in every ones best interest.

Sep 10, 2011 at 04:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

I railed a large check, registered mail, from PA. to Ohio. It took for ever, and the tracking didnt work. Post Office explained- the letter was put into a currier pouch, with others- collected along the way, taking forever and the contents then cannot be tracked. Seemed like a bad deal to me time wise.
Harry Palmer

Sep 11, 2011 at 08:42 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

USPS does not offer tracking on registered mail.
"Tracking" is only available on express mail. You can get delivery confirmation on registered mail but on valuable items signature confirmation may be the better option especially for those using services like PayPal.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM
G. Thomas
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

They're usually reasonably quick in mymexperience although it took 5 weeks for 1 package to show up!

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:57 AM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

This is why I tend to go with Fed Ex or UPS on more expensive items. Ground shipping is typically less expensive than USPS priority and is comparable in speed. It also offers a tracking number with actual tracking.

Sep 12, 2011 at 04:31 PM
uroman
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

It showed up today at the buyer's place. I am so happy.
REmember - fedex will NOT repay more than $500 even if you insure for more

Sep 13, 2011 at 01:34 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

USPS offers tracking ($1.60 extra, Form 152) for Priority Mail, First Class Parcel and, Package Services Parcels. They will email you with the status - see "Track and Confirm" on the USPS.com web site.

Sep 24, 2011 at 06:05 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · shipping USPS REGISTERED Mail

lukeb wrote:
USPS offers tracking ($1.60 extra, Form 152) for Priority Mail, First Class Parcel and, Package Services Parcels. They will email you with the status - see "Track and Confirm" on the USPS.com web site.

Form 152 is just delivery confirmation. It is not tracking and can take days after delivery for any information to show up on the web site. Delivery confirmation is no longer available on first class letters.

"Some items cannot be sent with Delivery Confirmation of any kind. These items include letters and flat pieces sent by First-Class Mail and Package Services".

"Enter your label number to see the status of your item. If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—Delivery Confirmation™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery"

USPS does not offer tracking of any sort except on Domestic over night Express although they will tell you they offer it on International Express but it usually stops tracking once the parcel leaves the US.

Sep 29, 2011 at 02:05 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password