New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

Kyle Yates
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

Anybody tried this one yet. If you loved the little Canon's (S30/40/45/50) you'll love this one. It's still 5MP however so don't let the S60 name fool you into thinking it's a 6MP job.

The noise is better, start up time faster and battery capacity larger (not that there was much wrong with the old one).

ISAPS (optimising WB exposure and AF) looks a very promising feature which might appear on DSLR's at some time.

Lens 28 - 100 (35 MM equiv) F2.8-F5.3 with 3 metering modes including Spot (Centre / AF) .

I love taking these little P&S digicams out -- you can use them almost anywhere and quality is good enough to get a more than adequate 10 X 8 or even an A4 if you've got the exposure spot on.

I'm definitely swapping the S50 for one of these. This is what the S50 should have been from the outset.

Nice one canon

Jun 13, 2004 at 10:06 AM
giulioz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

How about the weight? Is it any smaller than the S50. I owned the S50, very good, but once you have to carry the camera in your hands since it doesn't fit in your pocket, well, why not bringing along my 10D then?

Giulio

Jun 13, 2004 at 10:53 AM
Kyle Yates
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

If anything it's a tad smaller than the S50. You can also use an SD===>CF converter so your SD cards aren't wasted if and when these get cheaper than CF stuff and it also supports FAT32 -- means you can use cards with a larger capacity than 2GB.

These cams really DO fit into a pocket and can be used anywhere -- even where mobile phone "cameras" can't. Noise is a good deal better than on the S50 allowing higher ISO shots.

The only thing I'd like on these is to be able to use external flash -- you can with remote slave triggers but that rather defeats the object of the small size.

Good Luck
-K

Jun 13, 2004 at 11:19 AM
Polaris

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

Nice cameras, but for a point and shoot I'll stick to my Sony P92. It's been good to me.

Jun 13, 2004 at 02:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

Maybe it is just me, but the problem with PS cameras is the lack of a good way to use a polarizer. At least the true wide-angle lens is welcome. Do the Canon PS cameras shoot in RAW?

Jun 13, 2004 at 05:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nutek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

I'm looking forward to a review of the S60 too... it's a p&s camera that I have been waiting for, given its specs.

Jun 13, 2004 at 05:35 PM
PKuglin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

Well, I got mine on Thursday and I am impressed. It has a great deal of custom controls (exp comp, flash comp, custom wb etc) and it shoots raw. Only thing the only raw converter is Canon's SW so far. BB 2.9 will not convert them as well as ACR2.

It is slightly smaller than a S50 and the 28mm is nice. I am carrying mine in a tight fit body glove on mybelt almost everywhere I go.

Jun 13, 2004 at 08:25 PM
giulioz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

The S50 was supported by ACR, so I guess that it will only a question of time before the S60 is supported as well.

Giulio

Jun 14, 2004 at 08:14 AM
Jesper
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

PKuglin wrote:
Well, I got mine on Thursday and I am impressed. It has a great deal of custom controls (exp comp, flash comp, custom wb etc) and it shoots raw. Only thing the only raw converter is Canon's SW so far. BB 2.9 will not convert them as well as ACR2.

It is slightly smaller than a S50 and the 28mm is nice. I am carrying mine in a tight fit body glove on mybelt almost everywhere I go.

I like the specs of the S60 too. Small and compact, yet very flexible and a lot of advanced features.

Why are RAW files of each new Canon camera different, so that all the RAW conversion applications have to be modified everytime there's a new camera? I can imagine that this is necessary if there's a major new camera, with new sensor etc., but the S60 is not really much different from the other PowerShot S-series cameras. Maybe it even has the same sensor as the S50?

Jun 15, 2004 at 03:06 PM
Willem W
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon S60 -- S50 replacement

Although sharpness and noisecontrol are excellent in the S-series, there is a lot of CA and blooming to be seen in the pictures in different reviewsites. And not just in the corners/edges but all over the image. For instance Sony (P100 or W1) does a lot better in that respect, having a Carl Zeiss lens. But then the Sony's don't have RAW as a choice and their JPEG-conversions algorithm are noticably worse than Canon's. So with the current imagequality I still consider (or $) 500 too much money IMHO. Maybe next year??

Jun 15, 2004 at 03:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password