Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

xicotencatl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

Hi Amigos.
So I had another great opportunity to shoot another pro game. This time Comunicaciones de Guatemala visited Seattle Sounders at CenturyLink Field on August 16, 2011.

There were two red cards and a few yellow ones, so you know there was lots of action thou. Sounders won this match 4-1, with the fewest crowd I have ever seen at the field.

Still listening to Russ' advice and trying to learn from everybody else.
C&C are more than welcome.
Pic 1-4

Lio

Edited on Aug 19, 2011 at 06:36 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

The style is competitve...I like it

Jefferson

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM
xicotencatl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

Jefferson wrote:
The style is competitve...I like it

Jefferson

Thanks for your comment.

Lio

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

Lio: Another strong set! Some great shots. 1, 2, 6, 8 and 12 are tops for me--that's a great jube shot! Looks like your aperture decisions worked well for you. Great to see you getting these opportunities and taking full advantage of them.

Aug 18, 2011 at 09:48 PM
xicotencatl
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

Russ Isabella wrote:
Lio: Another strong set! Some great shots. 1, 2, 6, 8 and 12 are tops for me--that's a great jube shot! Looks like your aperture decisions worked well for you. Great to see you getting these opportunities and taking full advantage of them.

Thanks Russ!
Those are some of my favorites too.

Lio

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

Another nice set of images, Lio. My only question would be to all of you soccer shooters out there.....In images 1 & 2 the shallow DOF has thrown the offensive player soft or OOF and the sharpness and focus has shifted to the defender. In shot #1, this seems to work a little better because of the emotion you see on the defenders face. However, in shot 2, the shot is framed as if the offensive player is the main subject (the defenders head and arm are even cut off) yet the offensive player is soft and the defender is tack sharp.
My question is this....would you benefit from possibly boosting your ISO a bit, maintaining your high s/s yet increase your DOF a bit by stopping down to say 5.6, 6.7 or even 8.0? If it were me shooting football, the primary concern is to get the ball carrier in focus, so shooting at 2.8 or even 4.0 I would want to make sure my focusing point was on the ball carrier, not the defender chasing him down. Just curious as to if there is a difference when it comes to different sports.

Love the jube shot. The color, clarity and IQ of the 5dII looks superb!

Billy-

Aug 19, 2011 at 09:28 AM
xicotencatl
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

Please forgive my ignorance, which one is the "jube shot"? Last one? Never heard this one before.

Billy;
my pics are grainy enough to go for a higher ISO speed. I know someone told me I could go up to ISO 2500, but I decided 2000 was bad enough already.
I know what you are saying by stopping down, but I don't think this is possible during the night games.

I still remember what Mr Alesse wrote here:
- An underexposed picture might be fixed ... a blurry one can't be.

I use center focus all the time. In pic #2, there's nothing I can do about it, the action was too close and I don't know if you have noticed, but my horizon is a little tilted.

Lio

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM
stedge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

Really good action, well done. I am curious aout the red card - did the guy who actually seems to have got to the ball first get sent off, or did the guy spiking the opponent's calf get a card?.... From the photos you posted, look like the good tackle was red carded, but not the other. Ball first, ball first....

Aug 19, 2011 at 02:11 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

BillyHurst wrote:
Another nice set of images, Lio. My only question would be to all of you soccer shooters out there.....In images 1 & 2 the shallow DOF has thrown the offensive player soft or OOF and the sharpness and focus has shifted to the defender. In shot #1, this seems to work a little better because of the emotion you see on the defenders face. However, in shot 2, the shot is framed as if the offensive player is the main subject (the defenders head and arm are even cut off) yet the offensive player is soft and the defender is
...Show more

Billy: Not answering for Lio, of course, but I'll take a crack at your question. It's similar to football, or any other sport where you've got a "main" subject with the ball and a second/third/etc subject in close proximity to the main subject. My goal always is to have my focus point on the main subject. Ideally, DOF can be such that everyone I want to be sharply focused is thus, the background is sufficiently blurred to eliminate all potential distractions, and the action is stopped completely so that there isn't any motion blur. Unfortunately, it pretty much never works out that way, especially when shooting at night. I've never shot sports at f/5.6 (or higher), which is not to say it wouldn't work, just that I'm averse to stopping down that much. My goal would be to balance all of the factors by raising ISO as high as I think will work (I like to stay at or below 4000 with my 1DIV) while keeping shutter speed at a minimum of 1/800 (higher is preferred, of course) and, usually, the widest aperture available to me (f/4 when I'm using a teleconverter with my 300/2.8). There are plenty of uber-talented shooters on this site who promote f/4.0 or higher and they've proven again and again that aperture is less important than other factors where a "clean" background is concerned. So, yeah, stopping down could help if the other settings will allow it and those "other factors" are as they need to be. In my experience shooting soccer, it's those "other factors" that never quite fall into place, which is why I like to shoot at the widest aperture available to me.

Aug 19, 2011 at 03:26 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sounders. CONCACAF Champs League. Soccer.

Lio, Thanks for the reply. I completely understand what you are saying, I was just noticing that most of your shots were at either 1600 or 2000 ISO and in my experience with the Mark III it handles grain well up to 2500 and starts to get iffy around 3200. Maybe the shots were cropped a little heavier than I had assumed. Still a greatr set of images and yes, the jube shot is the last one. Jube = short for jubilation or celebration/happiness.

Russ, you are exactly the person I was hoping would respond when I asked that question. I am an advocate of shooting wide open all the time as well, I was just thinking out loud because it seems the main subject and the secondary subject arent really that far apart and how many stops would it take to broaden the focal plane a few inches in front and back?

Aug 19, 2011 at 03:38 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.