New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Recommeded stock agencies

Richard GT
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommeded stock agencies

I'm a retired professional who enjoyed a long career back in the "good old days" of the film era. I retired about the time when digital images started looking good. I've been shooting digital of this and that for seveal years just for the joy of it.

I took a long look at my files recently and noticed more than a few images that are very good and might sell if they were situated where image buyers could see them. Hence my question: Do any of you belong to a stock agency you trust and are happy with. If so I would appreciate hearing about it.

I'm not looking to get rich (that won't happen) but would like my better images to be out there for buyers to see. A little gas money every now and then would be welcome as would your recommendation. Many thanks.

Richard

Aug 13, 2011 at 03:00 PM
Sheila
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommeded stock agencies

Selling stock photography is getting harder and harder these days with the advent of microstocks (I won't start ranting about them here ). If you want to sell your images, firstly get a website of your own or alternatively, take a look at Photodeck I should here and now advise that I am a Photodeck contributor and there is a deal between Photodeck and its contributors that any introduction gives me another month's member and the new member gets 10% off their annual membership. Well, I've got that out of the way!

The plus of having your own website is that you pay no commission. Photodeck does not charge commission but it does have an annual fee which includes a website with a large amount of GB space for image uploads. I also have website at PBase which links to my Photodeck website. Basically, Photodeck adds e-commerce to websites: You upload high res to your Photodeck site and Photodeck does the rest. If a client sees what they like, they go through to a shopping cart procedure and you are advised by Photodeck of the sale and upon payment, Photodeck sends the high res image to the client.

I am also a member of Alamy - UK based stock library with 25 million images - a lot of competition there. Alamy takes 40% commission and mainly licenses editorial type images. New contributors have to upload 4 images which must be absolutely 100% correct. Perfect exposure, no dust bunnies, no CA, and must be sharp (without post processing sharpening). Before these images are uploaded, they must be checked by the contributors at 100% crop because that is how Alamy QC does it. Alamy does not edit for content so as long as your images are 100% perfect in the aforementioned, they can be absolute dross - take a look at Alamy images and you can see why they should have edited for content on Day 1 but its far too late now. Alamy images must be over 24 MB and do not recommend upsizing.

Getty takes an appalling 70 or 80% commission (depending on royalty free or rights managed). They are also exclusive so you cannot have the images on any other stock library or even license them on your own. You also have NO choice on the model of license ie rights managed (preferred by most pro photographers) or royalty free. Getty chooses the model and their say is more or less final. I am opting out of Getty on 1 December 2011 when my contract expires as they reneged on contracts whereby Royalty free images on Getty can now be sent to their microstock site, Thinkstock, without reference to the photographer and you will receive very little for your work in TS. You have no choice in the deal and that is why I am letting my contract expire although I have done quite well with the few images I have on Getty, one image being licensed four times to different buyers.

I am also a member of GlobalEye Images, Australian based and the membership is around $320US a year. Matt Brading who runs the site out of Queensland works very hard for his contributors but has to compete with the big boys.

I am also a member of AGE fotostock where I have sold one image in about two years. European oriented and very strangely run!

I have also been a member of Photographers Direct which is run by Chris Barton. Chris rates your images (low res uploads) and if a client finds one they like, Chris contacts the photographer and its down to the photographer to negotiate directly with the client regarding price and how the image is used. Should the sale go ahead, you advise Photographers Direct and Chris bills you 20%. I have done quite well with PD in the past several years although, like all stock libraries, things have been really tough and the nibbles are few and far between.

Hope this helps.

Sheila

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:48 PM
Richard GT
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommeded stock agencies

Sheila, thanks very much for taking the time to provide me with so much detail and so many options. I'll look at the options you've provided and will let you know where I land. I visited your site... love your work!

Richard

Aug 14, 2011 at 08:33 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommeded stock agencies

Yes, it's nearly impossible these days unless you deal in microstocks. I'm with Getty and sales have slowed to a crawl over the last year. Used to recommend them, but I don't know if they're a viable option and they don't seem to be changing up the business model to reactivate their sales. Well, scratch that - they've lowered their prices tremendously.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM
Richard GT
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommeded stock agencies

Thanks Deezie
Getty was the first place I looked and promted me to inquire about other options here. From the two responses here it doesn't seem like any stock agencies are worth the time and effort. Maybe I'm wrong but it certainly doesn't seem as good as a decade or two before when I "retired." I'll keep looking though. It can't hurt.

Aug 15, 2011 at 02:56 PM
jpeter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommeded stock agencies

Shelia, Photodeck sounds very interesting. How much do you have to pay them?

Richard-
I to have a pbase account, lots of hits but no income from it. On the microstocks, I have 150 images or so. I am on shutterstock (sell 1 a day for peanuts and an occasional one for more$$), dreamstime (sell one a week but for more $), fotolia (virtually no sales and small money), and just started Istockphoto.

It is a pretty good learning expereince dealing with the stock agencies. Photoshoping out trademarks, altering exposure color etc ... to make the reviewers happy. Also interesting what content sells. I seem to sell birds, bugs, industrial equipment and machinery, and landscapes.

I did the micros as an experiment this winter, It takes time to figure out each sites procedures, upload, keyword, and make the reviewers happy. For six months online and an average of 100 images uploaded, my total revenue is almost 100$. No a very good return on my time thus far, but I am hoping that it builds over time.

JP

Aug 16, 2011 at 07:21 AM
billkoe
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommeded stock agencies

You might want to take a look at Glasshouse Images. Jerry, their founder, brought me into nonstøck many years ago which ultimately put me into GettyImages. (I also did not re-up my Getty contract but ironically I had some very large sales the last two months.)

Jerry is one of the few bright lights left in the stock photo world.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM
Sheila
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommeded stock agencies

jpeter wrote:
Shelia, Photodeck sounds very interesting. How much do you have to pay them?

Richard-
I to have a pbase account,

JP

It's about $30.00 a month which includes supplying a website with e-commerce (no commission taken) and as you have a PBase account, you can also link your images back to your Photodeck website as I have done here - click on Buy Licence. I have a StatCounter on both PBase and Photodeck and I am slowly getting more traffic on the latter. Good keywording helps.

Sheila

Aug 17, 2011 at 04:41 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommeded stock agencies

Anyone registered with Redbubble?

http://www.redbubble.com/

I was looking for some thoughts about it.

Aug 19, 2011 at 07:38 AM
Sheila
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommeded stock agencies

sorpa wrote:
Anyone registered with Redbubble?

http://www.redbubble.com/

I was looking for some thoughts about it.

RedBubble is not a stock library. It's a printing site based in Australia but has offices in both the US and the UK. I recommend them for printing as their quality is excellent. I have sold quite a few prints, framed, matted, laminated and greetings cards, etc etc and its handy at Christmas time as you can make your own calendars. And you get your own website

Sheila

Aug 22, 2011 at 07:39 PM
aquiles83

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommeded stock agencies

Sheila wrote:
I am also a member of AGE fotostock where I have sold one image in about two years. European oriented and very strangely run!

Hello, Sheila. I am a member of Alamy, too, and these days I was seriously considering joining AGE. Could you please tell me more? What do you mean by "strangely run"?

Many thanks!

Best,

Javier

Dec 03, 2011 at 01:21 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommeded stock agencies

Here is my experience and my humble opinion.... shooting stock takes time and a lot of effort and forget cookie cutter images, your work needs to stand out to be considered by the bigger agencies like Corbis and Getty. There are a lot of agencies out there but with some your work will sit there for years and you earn very little (see Agefoto).

I am with one of the big agencies and the editing is very, very tough, a small % of my images are accepted each month. But a lot of what they do pick up from me is Rights Managed. I have very slowly built up a collection of work over the past few years, I work hard at it and submit new work every month. I tend to spend a lot of time shooting conceptual images, think out of the box...a lot of it I can do in my own home. I also shoot a lot of the city I live in, updated travel pics always sell. I was not involved in the glory days of stock 80-90's so I can just bitch about the raw deal and pack it in, or try and make interesting salable images. I have also looked at Photodeck and will probably add it 2012.

Dec 05, 2011 at 11:16 AM
Sheila
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommeded stock agencies

aquiles83 wrote:
Hello, Sheila. I am a member of Alamy, too, and these days I was seriously considering joining AGE. Could you please tell me more? What do you mean by "strangely run"?

Many thanks!

Best,

Javier

AGE is odd in that you have to bill them for the image sold. In other words, you have to check out your sales via their site and then send them an account for images sold. I have never done this with my other agencies. You also have to supply a declaration that you are a foreign national by sending them a certificate of residency. It's wise to let your sales accumulate before sending them an account otherwise you get hit with bank fees. I sent them an account about two months ago and I have yet to get an acknowledgement or any sort of payment. Makes mental note to send them a reminder.

Regarding Getty, I had just made up my mind not to renew my contract (after they reneged on their previous contract with photographers) and then opened up my September statement to find that they had licensed US$3,000 worth of my images. Gulp. Not wishing to shoot myself in the foot, I renewed my contract for another year. I only have 26 images with them so my RPI (revenue per image) is extraordinarily high and so I put up with their appalling commission rate!.

Sheila

Dec 06, 2011 at 04:04 AM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommeded stock agencies

aGE takes six months to pay for a sale, so if you made a sale in June you should get paid in December or January...

Dec 06, 2011 at 09:04 AM
Sheila
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommeded stock agencies

thedruid wrote:
aGE takes six months to pay for a sale, so if you made a sale in June you should get paid in December or January...

Hence the name - it takes AGES to get paid!

Sheila

Dec 06, 2011 at 04:17 PM
aquiles83

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommeded stock agencies

Thanks, Sheila!! That's very valuable information indeed.

Thank you also for your input, Thedruid.

Best wishes,

Javier

Jan 17, 2012 at 06:49 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recommeded stock agencies

You are welcome

Jan 19, 2012 at 08:54 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recommeded stock agencies

It's difficult to get around microstock these days. I sell both traditional and microstock, and make almost ten times as much per photo/year on micro as on traditional, but any portfolio under 1,000 images is more or less worthless unless your images are something really out of the ordinary. There are millions of talented photographers out there, and thousands of them are selling stock photos.

The good thing is that umpteen times as many photos are sold every day as in "the old days". Tens of millions of websites need photos, and many are updated frequently. The market is there, but it's a full time job to feed it.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recommeded stock agencies

So funny underneath this thread is an ad for Bigstock selling those wonderful Microstock images for 75% less than Istock...lol now you can earn 2c a shot

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recommeded stock agencies

thedruid wrote:
So funny underneath this thread is an ad for Bigstock selling those wonderful Microstock images for 75% less than Istock...lol now you can earn 2c a shot

The problem with iStock is that they pay the lowest commission of all microstock agencies unless you're exclusive with them, so even if the sales price is high, you don't get more back. They are owned by Getty. The lowest commission with Bigstock is 50c btw., but sales are slow there.

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.