New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3              74       75       end

Archive 2011 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

cyra
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

mid September sounds good to me. 10/11 or 17/18 Sept.

funny how everybody pulls out their Austrian-Habsburgian great grandfathers to underly their "german-ness"

Jul 31, 2011 at 04:01 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

cyra wrote:
funny how everybody pulls out their Austrian-Habsburgian great grandfathers to underly their "german-ness"

No, cyra, I don't claim any "german-ness". I am trying to establish if our German colleagues have any interest in fomer Habsburgians... very different...

Jul 31, 2011 at 04:19 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Actually Habsburg isn't the best credential for a Berliner meetup as Berlin was never part of the Austrio-Hungarian empire. It was part of the Holy Roman Empire (which by the way was neither holy, nor Roman nor an empire ) as the capital of Prussia before the German unification. So a Habsburg connection would only be relevant if one subscribes to some, eh, outdated ein volk.. ideas

Jul 31, 2011 at 04:29 PM
Vincent Kluwe
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Edited on Oct 11, 2011 at 02:40 AM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2011 at 05:05 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

I was just suggesting that Habsburg ancestry might suggest a greater degree of cultural compatibility with Germans than French ancestry, Luka, nothing more sinister than that...

Jul 31, 2011 at 05:09 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

I know Philippe, I was just joking.

Jul 31, 2011 at 05:23 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

carstenw wrote:
Well, let's try to settle on the afternoon of Aug. 6th this time, and then start discussions about when we should meet again. How does mid-to-late September sound to everyone? We can also make it later... Christmas is of course also a possibility, but I would think there would be enough time to meet in between, and anyway, the Weinachtsmärkte are not necessarily great photo ops, although Glühwein could make up for that

How about east Prussian ancestry?

As for the Weinachtsmärkte, there's always Bayern though I agree they're not necessarily as interesting as the postcards might imply..

Earliest for me would probably be later in November through December...

Ron

Aug 01, 2011 at 12:22 AM
IDURITA
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

I have just returned to Berlin after staying abroad for 10 years (5 years Mumbai, India / 5 years Kanton, China). I might stay in berlin for 2 - 3 years. I am very interested to join.

Only problem: I am in the mids of moving. My furniture have arrived in Bremerhaven today. I expect the moving company to call me at any time to fix a date for the delivery of the furniture to my residence in Berlin. It all depends when the stuff arrives here. I am afraid, that I will be so much occupied, that I can't afford to attend.

Aug 01, 2011 at 02:16 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Such a meeting would be very interessting! Good idea!
And I am very pleased to see the interest of members of different nationality!

But I think I couldn´t join this time :-/

For German Weihnachtsmarkt I would suggest Cologne with the Weihnachtmarkt near the Kölner Dom (I know some others there too). But I was never on one in Munic, probably they have more snow, what could be great.

Aug 01, 2011 at 02:29 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Well, we'll keep the door open in case things work out. If not, I am sure we will have more meetings. This time would be good though, because the famous Philippe of France will be here.

Aug 01, 2011 at 02:29 AM
Morfeus
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Can we collect some ideas where we could stroll arround? As Philippe will come I think we should definately offer him Museumsinsel/Lustgarten and/or Brandenburger Tor

Aug 01, 2011 at 02:51 AM
cyra
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

denoir wrote:
Actually Habsburg isn't the best credential for a Berliner meetup as Berlin was never part of the Austrio-Hungarian empire. It was part of the Holy Roman Empire (which by the way was neither holy, nor Roman nor an empire ) as the capital of Prussia before the German unification. So a Habsburg connection would only be relevant if one subscribes to some, eh, outdated ein volk.. ideas

I quite like the idea of inhaling Germany as (smallish) part of an extended Austrian-Hungarian empire.
I'd strongly prefer a Kaiser to that F-word guy though. Unfortunately the last crown prince of the Habsburgs (Otto) just passed away. But I am sure we can find a substitute.

Phillipe, don't you worry, if everything else fails, you can still apply as a regular EU-member

Aug 01, 2011 at 04:13 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Oh, I totally missed this thread. I am happy to join you, too, this saturday. Looking forward to it!

Aug 02, 2011 at 03:47 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Guys, all that is presently available is a flight coming in at 12:00, and a return departing at 18:35, both from Tegel. Let me know at what time that gets me to the meeting place, and when I would need to leave. Thanks.

Aug 02, 2011 at 04:33 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Hmm, factoring in travel from the airport (which is not far from downtown), this does not leave too much time for more than a coffee and a quick stroll.

In order to buy some time, I would suggest that we meet somewhere easily reachable from the airport, if not too close (due to the uninteresting nature of that part of the city). There are some nice cafes not too far from Bahnhof Zoo, and Tiergarten and the Zoo are within a short walk from this area too. There is a really nice cafe right opposite Meister Camera, Berlin's great Leica dealer, which might be interesting for some. I believe they even have a Leica S2 in stock, if that is interesting to some This is about a 15 minute stroll from Bahnhof Zoo, on Fasanenstraße.

There is the X9 bus which drives directly to Bahnhof Zoo in 15 minutes or so. I could imagine that after arriving at the airport, you could meet us within about 45 minutes, but it might also take 1 hour, depending on the airport, traffic, etc. The same time would be needed in reverse, possibly padded a bit for safety, and adding the standard check-in buffer. That would leave you with maybe 3 1/2 hours of free time. Are you sure this is worth it? There is no possibility to stay overnight? There is a new Motel One close to Bahnhof Zoo which provides spartan, but nice (Ikea-ish) and affordable rooms.

The alternative we had discussed would be to meet around Mitte somewhere, which is reachable via Alexanderplatz and the TXL bus, but this takes longer (up to 20 minutes wait, 40 minutes drive, plus plus plus), and I would be surprised if you would have enough time for anything satisfying with this option.

The TXL also drives past Hauptbahnhof, which is close to Tiergarten, but I don't know of any nice cafes there where we can meet each other. There are some standard cafes in the Bahnhof if expectations are not too high.

Perhaps Ulff, Vincent or Morpheus have other ideas which make sense in this context?

Btw, Boris sends greetings, he will be in Seattle and cannot come. Bernhard is in Bayern, and also cannot come.

Edited on Aug 02, 2011 at 09:16 AM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2011 at 09:10 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Motel One Berlin: http://www.motel-one.com/de/hotels/hotels-berlin.html

Meister Camera: http://www.meister-camera.com/berlin/

TXL bus: http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17131/name/JetExpressBus+TXL.html

X9 bus to Bahnhof Zoo: http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17130/name/ExpressBus.html

Aug 02, 2011 at 09:15 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

I am betting that, on a Saturday morning, traffic might be lighter than on a week-day, making a taxi the fastest proposition. Is that not so?

Aug 02, 2011 at 09:57 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Buses are very good in Berlin, and traffic is much lighter than in Paris (and Berlin is much smaller), so I don't think there would be a big difference. The X9 takes 15 minutes to get to Bahnhof Zoo, according to the BVG website. The taxi would not be that expensive, and a bit more flexible about where it drops you off, so you could also do that, of course. It might cost 20-30 Euro or something like that.

Aug 02, 2011 at 12:17 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

Let me firm up my suggestion a little bit:

Literaturhaus Berlin
Fasanenstraße 23

At 13.00. Then walk in some direction, for example Tiergarten, or maybe Ku'damm for some street photography, after a coffee and chat.

What do you all think about this?

Aug 02, 2011 at 12:22 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · FM Berlin Photo Meet

OK for me!

Aug 02, 2011 at 12:37 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.