New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

Chris Sauer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

Hi there,

Since januari 2010 I own and use an Epson 3880 printer in combination with both a Macbook Pro and an iMac 27" quadcore. Software is Photoshop CS4.
Since then I have been trying to get the printer to print borderless, and whatever I try, it doesn't seem to be working with me.
I know I am the problem , but it is getting a bit anoying. Last month I had an exhibition, printed evertything myself, and had to make my passe-partouts myselve since standards would show a gap.

I print both on A4 and A3 paper, from the local store, Epson, or Illford, and whatever setting I choose, non seem to be working.

is there anybody out there who is able to give me some screenshots to tell me how to print borderless?

Thank you in advance!

Christiaan

May 28, 2011 at 05:47 AM
anotherview
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

Chris: I own a 3880. Do not know how to do screen shots. Borderless printing involves settings and one or two test prints. You mention "a gap," by which I suppose you mean the image does not print all the way to the paper edge, leaving a white border. You have to set the Expansion. Here's how.

In the main Print dialog panel, you will of course have to pick the usual settings for Color Handling (Photoshop), Printer Profile (for the paper used), Scale to Fit Media (check this box), and so on.

Next click on Print Settings. Doing so takes you to the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Properties panel. You should find yourself on the Main tab. Pick your media type (paper type), Print Quality, Mode (custom), and then in the drop-down menu, pick "Off (No Color Adjustment). Under Paper settings, select Sheet. Under Size, pick your paper size. Note that Super A3 (329 x483mm) corresponds to 13x19 inches.

Below Size you will see a box with the word "Borderless" next to it. Check this box. To the right you will see a new button labeled "Expansion." Click it. An Expansion dialog panel will appear, with a couple choices. You will see two check boxes, one for Auto Expand, and one for Retain Size. I leave the box for Auto Expand checked.

The "Amount of Enlargement" slider has 3 setting: Max, Mid & Min. This slider controls how much the image expands toward the paper edge. From experience, I've found Mid comes close to an output where the image just reaches the edge, and maybe a tad over.

Note: The Min setting I found leaves a small white border around my image on the paper. One of the other settings may work for you.

Next click the OK button. Doing so takes you back to the previous page. You may wish to double check your settings. When ready, click the OK button. Doing so takes you back to the initial Print setup dialog panel.

There you should see the image preview with the paper size above it. If you had checked the box labeled "Scale to Fit Media," than you should see the image filling the preview area, and the Height and Width measurements should match your image size.

Of course, if you print a 16x20 image on 17x22 paper, then you will have to uncheck the box labeled "Scale to Fit Media."

I hope this instruction helps.

Edited on May 30, 2011 at 04:20 PM · View previous versions

May 29, 2011 at 01:18 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

Unfortunately only certain sizes print borderlessly. The options are limited, but do include the popular sizes A3 and A4. If the borderless box is checked and the paper size does not support borderless printing, there is a warning that borderless is not possible and a different paper size must be selected. If there only a sliver of unprinted area along the edges, you may need to increase the enlargement as anotherview mentioned above.

EBH

May 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM
anotherview
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

EB-1: Thanks for clarification. These details can trip an inexperienced user.

May 29, 2011 at 01:02 PM
aef9892

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

I am having the exact same problem and can't seem to get borderless printing to work. I am printing an 11x14 image on 11x17 paper. I do have the small white border when I preview and have tried to tweak all the settings to no avail.

I have unchecked the "scale to fit media" box in the print settings box. For the 11x14, it showing scale at 99% with the height at 14 and the width at 11. When I go into the page layout settings, I'm only seeing the min /mid/max box when I choose the A3--borderless-auto expand, which I know I don't want, as it expands my image. When I select any other paper sizes those settings (max/mid) grey out and I can't adjust. I also can only set the max/mid slider to MAX or MID---nowhere in between. So, in testing, when I do a preview with the slider at MID the photo is going all the way to edge of paper its just dramatically expanding so my print is much larger than 11x14. I would like to be able to retain the original size of 11x14.

I'm also not seeing this "expansion" or "borderless" box anywhere within my print settings box/properties and I do have the most current driver which was installed 6 months ago.
Where is the "borderless" box?

I've tried everything! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

May 30, 2011 at 02:38 PM
anotherview
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

First a correction to my earlier post: I should've written: Super A3 (329 x483mm) corresponds to 13x19 inches. I left out the word "Super."

aef9892: The difference between the image size (11x14) and the paper size (11x17) probably has produced the difficulty.

Stating the obvious: Trying to fit your entire image to the paper in order to print borderless would distort the image.

The expression "US B 11 x 17 in" equates to the paper size.

Try these steps. In the Print dialog that comes up first when printing, check the Scale to Media box. For now, the result may not look right. You may have to come back to it later.

Select the icon for portrait or landscape as suitable. Of course you'll have to make other selections as appropriate: Printer, Color Management, Color Handling, Printer Profile (for paper type), etc.

Then click on the Print Settings button. Doing so will take you to a printer properties dialog panel. There, select Media Type (paper type), Print Quality, Mode (Off (no color adjustment)), and Paper Settings Source (sheet) and Size (US B 11 x 17 in).

Now to experiment (by logic): Uncheck the Borderless box. You do not want to expand the image at this point. Click on OK. Doing so takes you back to the Print dialog.

There, look at the Height or Width information, depending on which orientation (portrait or landscape) you selected earlier. It may show a dimension measurement not close enough for the image to reach the paper edge. If so, then uncheck the Scale to Fit Media button. Doing so gives you control over the measurement.

Let us say you want control over the Height measurement, to get it close to 11 inches and thus near the paper edge. Click within the Height box where you see the measurement. There, using the Up and Down arrow keys, you can adjust the physical dimension of the image to match that of the paper.

Naturally the difference between the long dimension of the paper and the image will leave a 3-inch white area needing trimming.

You may have to do a test print or two for the result you want.

I hope this instruction helps.

May 30, 2011 at 04:19 PM
aef9892

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

anotherview: thanks for this.
however----still can't find this "borderless" box your referencing. where is it?
its nowhere to be found within the "print settings" box.
its not under "layout, color mataching, paper handling, printer settings, page layout setttings etc....

also, i've tried canvasing out my 11x14 to an 11x17 (with a white strip at bottom) and im still having the same expansion issues, even when the image on the canvas is the exact same size as the paper im choosing.

there are also many different paper choices to choose from. I have played around between selecting "US B 11x17 --sheet feeder/ borderless / retain size and all the others and no matter what i choose----same results.

thoughts?

May 30, 2011 at 04:48 PM
anotherview
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

aef9892: You say you use the Epson 3880, and Apple products in conjunction with it. The Apple products may or may not make a difference here.

I gave you my instruction based on a PC, yet I do not believe this difference should change how the Epson 3880 printing setup presents itself, although maybe it does. I'm not an expert, only an experienced user.

All that said, I have a sense you may've set something in the initial Print dialog panel that later influences the next panel, Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Properties. Do you see this second panel? It has 3 tabs. You want the left-most tab: Main.

If there, then you should see about two-thirds of the way down a check box next to the word "Borderless." If not, then something seems amiss.

But let me please say in the experiment laid out earlier, you do not need the Borderless feature. Instead, you can manually adjust the image size to fit the paper size, in first Print dialog panel.

Meanwhile, I've goolged this issue, using the search term "espon 3880 borderless printing": http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&foid=149363&oid=141552&infoType=FAQs

You may find something there helpful.

May 30, 2011 at 05:42 PM
aef9892

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

yes, i am using an apple with os x 10.6.7.

your second panel is indeed different from my what i see on my mac. i see no "main" tab and no "borderless" option.

will continue to try to figure this out and maybe call epson if i'm still having issues.

thanks!

May 30, 2011 at 05:54 PM
anotherview
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

aef9892: Other Mac users frequent FM. Maybe one of them can help. The problem could prove Mac specific. But personally I'd stop banging my head against the wall if I were you. Call or e-mail Epson. You want a fix so you can go to work.

May 30, 2011 at 06:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

Hmmm. My comments were with the x64 Windows drivers. I don't have a Mac to connect.

EBH

May 30, 2011 at 07:01 PM
anotherview
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

Found this wording by chance on FM:

"In my experience with Macs and Epson printers, downloading the driver from Epson for your Mac gives a more accurate result as opposed to using the Apple supplied driver."

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1011513

May 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM
aef9892

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

i actually did download the driver direct from the epson site.
: )

May 30, 2011 at 11:56 PM
anotherview
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

Okay, you may try calling an Epson-recommended printer repair shot. I've been to one, and the technician pretty much considered problems strictly in terms of electromechanical function of the printer. With his insights and my experience put together, however, a solution occurred to me.

May 31, 2011 at 12:06 AM
Chris Sauer

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Borderless printing - Epson 3880

I totally forgot I posted my question here.... Sorry sorry sorry.
A lot of helpfull information as it looks like. Now not in the position to try some things, but in the next few days I'll give it a shot.
Thanks everybody!

Jun 10, 2011 at 05:43 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.