FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Night Scene

siukalo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night Scene

Hi all,

I am just a beginner, took this photo with 300D 12-24 Sigma F8 15 Sec. Please comment! Good or bad welcome.!

Thanks

http://211.30.246.181:8080/webphoto/crw_1804.jpg

Jun 03, 2004 at 12:25 PM
NewSushi
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night Scene

The city is well exposed and skylines almost always make for interesting shots. I like this one very much, but would consider using perspective correction in order to reduce the converging verticals (notice the taller buildings on each side lean toward the center of the frame). While I also like the movement in the sky and reflections on the water, I would be tempted to crop out a good bit of each to make the city more prominent in the frame. If you don't want to cut out both, I'd still cut out most of one. This will still give the city more "real estate" in the image and more the horizon out of the center of the image, which, imo, will provide a more pleasing composition.

I really like this skyline a lot, though. Where's it at?

Thanks,

-NewSushi

Jun 03, 2004 at 01:56 PM
siukalo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night Scene

It is Hong Kong Island looking out from the Kowloon side. Thanks for you comments

Jun 03, 2004 at 09:11 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Night Scene

The horizon cuts the picture at the 40-60 line, which makes it neither here nor there. You need to decide which is more important - the sky, or the reflections in the water. Having both in at the same time (and in such large expanse) makes both compete for viewer's attention and draw the viewer's attention away from the city lights. (assuming that is your main intent). It would also be nice to have a dominant building grab the viewer's attention first - currently you have 2 taller buildings, and both are at separate ends of the picture, again competing for the viewer's attention.

It is a good effort though, and keep on trying! That's what most important.

Best regards,
Wenyao

Jun 04, 2004 at 01:47 AM
siukalo

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Night Scene

Thanks I will work on that.

Jun 04, 2004 at 02:21 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password