Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              158      
       160              223       224       end

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

R.Young
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.159 #1 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Fantastic work Carsten!

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:58 PM
joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.159 #2 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Toothwalker, I like #2 and #3 in your set.

Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8. A lens I don't use very much mainly because of the 85 Planar I guess, second one is a blend and the third is a 3 photo stitch.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:12 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.159 #3 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

akul wrote:
Toothwalker - I did not fix any fringing. Inceased contrast probably covered it.
I like your compositions. Last one especially.

Thanks for the info - and for liking the image.

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.159 #4 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Toothwalker wrote:
Catching a dolphin

What, is the dolphin inside the killer whale?

Thanks Luka, Robert and Philippe! I am glad someone liked #3

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.159 #5 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

joakim wrote:
Toothwalker, I like #2 and #3 in your set.

Ah, a landscape man.

Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8. A lens I don't use very much mainly because of the 85 Planar I guess, second one is a blend and the third is a 3 photo stitch.

The Sonnar is a very good performer in a small package. It used to be a favorite for travel, both in the Contax days and with the 5D, but unfortunately it interferes with the mirror of my 5D2.

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:27 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.159 #6 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw wrote:
What, is the dolphin inside the killer whale?

A killer whale is a dolphin.

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:29 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.159 #7 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Technically, yes, killer whales belong to the family of oceanic dolphins, but no one would ever say so outside of a biology conference From Wikipedia:

"Six of the larger species in the Delphinidae, the Orca and the Pilot (long-finned and short-finned), Melon-headed, Pygmy Killer and False Killer Whales, are commonly called whales, rather than dolphins; they are also sometimes collectively known as "blackfish"."

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.159 #8 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw wrote:
Technically, yes, killer whales belong to the family of oceanic dolphins, but no one would ever say so outside of a biology conference From Wikipedia:

"Six of the larger species in the Delphinidae, the Orca and the Pilot (long-finned and short-finned), Melon-headed, Pygmy Killer and False Killer Whales, are commonly called whales, rather than dolphins; they are also sometimes collectively known as "blackfish"."

I have never attended a biology conference.

Also from Wikipedia:
"English-speaking scientists most often use the term "killer whale",[12] although the term "orca" is increasingly used. Killer whale advocates point out it has a long heritage. Indeed, the genus name Orcinus means "of the kingdom of the dead",[12] or "belonging to Orcus".[13] Ancient Romans originally applied orca (plural orcae) to these animals, possibly borrowing it from the Greek ὄρυξ, which referred (among other things) to a whale species. Since the 1960s, orca has steadily grown in popularity; both names are now used. The term orca is preferred by some to avoid the negative connotations of "killer",[14] and because, being part of the family Delphinidae, the species is more closely related to other dolphins than to whales.[15]"

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.159 #9 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Right, as your snippet points out, some prefer to say orca rather than killer whale, because they aren't whales, and the connotations of "killer" aren't so nice.

About the conference thing, let me rephrase it: as a native English speaker, it surprises me to hear someone call orcas dolphins. It is the first time in my 46 years I have heard that, and I do like animals quite a bit and actively read and watch documentaries about them

Dec 30, 2012 at 09:14 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.159 #10 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

In Norwegian the name is Spekkhogger sounding like a deathmetal band, and in Swedish similar but less metal feel: Späckhuggare. Literally meaning "Flesh-chopper".

What an interesting detour :-)

Dec 30, 2012 at 09:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mortyb
• • •
p.159 #11 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Hahaha, that's hillarious... My next death metal band will for sure be named "Spekkhogger". You will be mentioned in every release, Wilhelm.

Dec 30, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.159 #12 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw wrote:
Right, as your snippet points out, some prefer to say orca rather than killer whale, because they aren't whales, and the connotations of "killer" aren't so nice.

About the conference thing, let me rephrase it: as a native English speaker, it surprises me to hear someone call orcas dolphins. It is the first time in my 46 years I have heard that, and I do like animals quite a bit and actively read and watch documentaries about them

I know that "killer whale" is the more common name for native English speakers, and that is fine. According to some classification schemes dolphins are subspecies of whales. I am not a native English speaker and have been calling it a dolphin for at least 10 years. Or orca, more often. Or spekkhogger, since a couple of years.

Dec 30, 2012 at 09:28 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.159 #13 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Wait, what? Are you not Norwegian Ah, that's right, I recall that your webpage has your name somewhere. Are you Dutch?

Dec 30, 2012 at 09:38 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.159 #14 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw wrote:
Wait, what? Are you not Norwegian Ah, that's right, I recall that your webpage has your name somewhere. Are you Dutch?

Yup. I am as Norwegian as you are German.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.159 #15 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

mortyb wrote:
Hahaha, that's hillarious... My next death metal band will for sure be named "Spekkhogger". You will be mentioned in every release, Wilhelm.

Thanks Morten but that may not be enough. I am in the market for an Ibanez RGA42T so now I expect to play with Spekkhuggah as killer-Wilhelm will be ready to contribute! Hank from Hell has shown there's a lot of skill in Norway in this field

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.159 #16 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Toothwalker wrote:
Yup. I am as Norwegian as you are German.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.159 #17 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

rji2goleez wrote:
When I recently bought the CY85/1.4 (EOS converted), I was told it's a great lens for IR. I've always loved IR photography and even converted a Canon 20D to iR only via Life Pixels many years ago. Well I decided to charge up the old BP511s and see what the CY85 would do on the 20D.

Now, these are not necessarily stellar images in their own right but there's definitely a sharpness and perhaps a 3D look on one or two that I might experiment with a better composition to really test this out. The shot of the picnic table
...Show more

3D and IR.. I dont think I ever saw that together. Last one is pretty good, actually I didnt thought its IR..

IR camera.. hm, IS Pro? Fuji shipped it as kit with Zeiss 50mm F2, long time ago..

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:36 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.159 #18 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Mescalamba wrote:
3D and IR.. I dont think I ever saw that together. Last one is pretty good, actually I didnt thought its IR..

IR camera.. hm, IS Pro? Fuji shipped it as kit with Zeiss 50mm F2, long time ago..

I'm thinking of picking up a 5DII and getting it converted. Full frame IR!

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.159 #19 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Some fun with the 35/1.4 shooting wide open. Thanks to akul who's images inspired me to go out and lock the camera with the 35 set to f/1.4. A couple are cross-posted from another thread.

© Bob Israel 2012

© Bob Israel 2012

© Bob Israel 2012

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.159 #20 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Toothwalker: Wonderful set !
Great shot luka ,Bob, Joakim, and carstenw !
Happy new year!!

Ronny//

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 ZF 2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password