Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2011 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

AhamB
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

^^^Regarding that blog: I don't think I've ever seen so many shots, all with the same kinds of pastel colors on one page. I find the color schemes he picks very pleasing to look at.

May 06, 2011 at 05:43 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

In addition to it being a fantastic system (so I hear), I believe that lots of digital converts who have never shot film before hear about it's ease of use (autofocus, interchangeable lenses, etc...) and think this system is the nicest and easiest to transition to from a digital background. The likes of Jose Villa, Jonathon Canlas and Ryan Muirhead make this system very attractive to those who are tempted to try out film for the first time. Remember, most people in their 20's and younger grew up shooting nothing but digital!

Me, I'm almost 40 and shoot Hasselblad.

May 06, 2011 at 05:54 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

KatieInTexas wrote:
Remember, most people in their 20's and younger grew up shooting nothing but digital

I'm 21, not me, and I'm very glad I shot film for so long too

May 06, 2011 at 06:17 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

I speculate there is a photo-industry-wide inflation going on in the wake of the earthquake disasters. All desirable gear appreciates and Contax 645 is just one of the examples.

May 06, 2011 at 10:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

cyberstudio wrote:
I speculate there is a photo-industry-wide inflation going on in the wake of the earthquake disasters. All desirable gear appreciates and Contax 645 is just one of the examples.

I agree.

May 06, 2011 at 10:42 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

ricardovaste wrote:
I'm 21, not me, and I'm very glad I shot film for so long too

Lots of film being shot by this age group, particularly those in photo schools. I teach and I'm always surprised just how many shoot and prefer film. Not a majority but more than you would think.

May 06, 2011 at 11:16 PM
C.Rosenthal
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

I am 23 years old. I shoot film and film only. It suits my shooting style and distaste for digital PP. I have zero interest in the Contax 645 system, mainly because of the price and size of the negatives. At the moment, I shoot purely 35mm with Nikon. Once I graduate, an X-pan and Mamiya 7 will be added.

The Contax system demand has increased purely because of the likes of Jose Villa and the widespread following of these photographers. Of this, I am certain. If those people chose Voigtlander RF systems, that would be the system of choice. Success always breeds copycats.

May 06, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

C.Rosenthal wrote:
I am 23 years old. I shoot film...

Filmoholics Anonymous!

May 07, 2011 at 12:03 AM
C.Rosenthal
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Filmoholics Anonymous!

Haha. In response to your post, I am not a photo school student. I graduate in a couple of weeks with a BSME. Film just appeals to me in every sense.

May 07, 2011 at 12:06 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

C.Rosenthal wrote:
Haha. In response to your post, I am not a photo school student. I graduate in a couple of weeks with a BSME. Film just appeals to me in every sense.

Haha! Filmaholics! I am VERY glad to hear that more young people are shooting film. I am not exactly OLD, but come from the gap generation that only had film to shoot and then was swept up with the new lure of digital - and then returned to film. I hope that there are enough of us to keep the demand up for film products, so that discontinuation of products will stop. And congrats on your upcoming graduation! Is that a Masters? Business? What will you be doing to support your film addiction?

May 07, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

C.Rosenthal
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Thank you. It is an undergrad degree in mechanical engineering. Once I secure a job, I'll be doing everything from developing to printing and scanning in my own home. I cannot wait to start shooting 6x7 medium format.

May 07, 2011 at 01:05 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

I'm looking for a Mamiya M645 + 80/1.9 as I prefer manual focus.
Did also look at the Contax 645 and 80/2 but the prices scared me off. If I were to go medium format digital it would be with a technical camera so that compatibility of the Contax 645 doesn't interest me.

May 07, 2011 at 02:08 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

thrice wrote:
Did also look at the Contax 645 and 80/2 but the prices scared me off.

+1

but i'm only looking for a good deal in passing as i'm really waiting for a new dslr.

May 07, 2011 at 02:25 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Im an old school film / digital user and have always felt the 645 format was a compromise. Its a wee bit bigger than 35 without the easy handling and wide lens choice and a wee bit smaller than 6x6-7-9-12 but without the film real estate and its not "that" much smaller than a 503 Hassy.
Don't get me wrong the Contax is a beautiful camera that has always (in the USA at least) been a boutique/ exclusive camera that is going thru some price inflation right now.
There are plenty of Hassy and RZ67 going for dirt cheap now and if you want you can get a 645 back for like $175. But if the supastars are using Contax so will the supastars of tomorrow.
I have two film cameras these days, one is a almost new yashica 124 I found on Craigslist for $40 and a Noblex panoramic camera.

May 07, 2011 at 02:49 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

645, though a compromise in some respects, does offer enough "real estate" and focus/subject isolation ability to put it in a solidly different category than 35mm, in my opinion. 6x6 is "nice" but the old argument about square and the printing world made some sense too, for using 6x7x8x9 as well.

Thrice, I'd like to have a Pro TL as well, for my Sekor 1.9 C. Not having to feed that 40% of incoming light to a sub-mirror/focus pit array and sensor makes manual focus so much easier...I've hit the point where my night vision is degrading a bit. Not terribly, mind you, but it's changing for sure and my vision and I aren't likely to return to "they way wew were" :-(

May 07, 2011 at 03:09 AM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

C.Rosenthal wrote:

Nice! I'm also an ME

May 07, 2011 at 04:44 AM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

thrice wrote:
Did also look at the Contax 645 and 80/2 but the prices scared me off. If I were to go medium format digital it would be with a technical camera so that compatibility of the Contax 645 doesn't interest me.

I've also looked into that option and it is certainly a good deal cheaper. I may have to go for that sometime soon...

May 07, 2011 at 04:44 AM
ManWearPants
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Maybe there are slightly more NAM1 adapters out there to add on to the flexibility of what you can use with these 645 bodies and lenses.

May 07, 2011 at 08:13 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Weezy - just picked up an M645 with the 80 1.9 and.... I. Am. In. Love.

Just saying...

May 07, 2011 at 08:50 AM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

mikethevilla wrote:
Weezy - just picked up an M645 with the 80 1.9 and.... I. Am. In. Love.

Just saying...

Good to know! perhaps I'll have to try it

May 07, 2011 at 12:58 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password