New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Paul Yi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

I know this has been a popular system, but lately I find so many people are looking for one...
Any reason for this sudden phenomenon?

May 05, 2011 at 08:28 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Latest drug or choice for gear-a-holics.....

May 05, 2011 at 08:33 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Use of AF Zeiss MF lenses perhaps? I don't know.

May 05, 2011 at 08:34 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

So that they can induce you into getting one as well.

May 05, 2011 at 09:27 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

I've been looking for one recently for a few reasons, as silly as they may be.

1. Contax body, Zeiss glass. I love Contax bodies, and I love Zeiss glass. AF is a bonus.

2. The 80mm f/2 is one of the fastest medium format lenses available. f/2 = narrow depth of field for portraits, etc.

3. I've recently started following photographer Jose Villa (a wedding photographer in California). He uses a Contax 645 almost exclusively and gets amazing results. Of course, most of that is because he's amazingly talented! (http://josevillablog.com/).

The damn things have gone up in price so much recently that I don't think I can afford one anymore.

But boy, do I want one...

May 05, 2011 at 09:34 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Weezy, if you were still in the LA area, I'd say come by and raid my pelican case...

May 05, 2011 at 09:36 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

It's still a great system -- straightforward, easy-to-use with great lenses. What's not to like?

I still have mine -- I've sold a few bits (like the waist level finder) off for ridiculous prices over the last couple years, but still have most of it. I haven't used it in probably well over 2 years. I should probably use it or sell it. But it's really hard to part with.

May 05, 2011 at 10:10 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

sirimiri wrote:
Weezy, if you were still in the LA area, I'd say come by and raid my pelican case...

Guess who IS in the LA area

May 06, 2011 at 04:32 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

weezintrumpete wrote:
2. The 80mm f/2 is one of the fastest medium format lenses available. f/2 = narrow depth of field for portraits, etc.

Don't you have a Pentax 67 with 105/2.4? That combo will give you shorter DOF than the Contax.
Now, a Hasselblad 6x6 with 110/2 is what you need!

May 06, 2011 at 04:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

What type of memory cards does the Contax 645 take?

May 06, 2011 at 05:31 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

jcolwell wrote:
What type of memory cards does the Contax 645 take?

You can put a MF digital back on it if you want. Probably another reason this particular system is desired. MF Zeiss lenses + Film or Digital.

May 06, 2011 at 06:52 AM
plastic_lens
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

I agree -- for the price of the Contax, you get a a heck of a nice 6x6 or 6x7. Why not 6x8 or 6x9?...And if you want fast, get the 80/1.9 Mamiya lens for the M645 -- you could probably buy at least 5 for the price of one Zeiss.

May 06, 2011 at 06:59 AM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Take a look at what lens hoods fetch for this system
I went ahead and adapted 77mm rz/rb rubber hoods.

Spare backs have recently gone from around 2 bills usd up to over 4.

Im tempted to sell my clean kit now and repick it up after the wedding shooters get tired of film.

May 06, 2011 at 06:59 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Tariq Gibran wrote:
You can put a MF digital back on it if you want. Probably another reason this particular system is desired. MF Zeiss lenses + Film or Digital.

That would be pretty much the same as using MF and AF Mamiya 645 lenses on a Mamiya AF body with a digital back. Right?

May 06, 2011 at 07:18 AM
kidtexas
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Probably because there are a couple of prominent wedding photographers who use them who are pretty visible on the internet.

May 06, 2011 at 07:19 AM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

It is the latest in a line of follow the leader. Film goes away, comes back a little along with medium format and Fuji is back in the instant polaroid business. Everything that was seems to come back like the hands of the clock to midnight. The lenses are very good but not that much better then Pentax and certain Hasselblad. Not that many were built so prices of what's left are very high. Another case of what I should have stuck in the back of the closet rather then giving away at a fire sale price. Then I would have only recovered 50% of what I paid, oh well.

Dave

May 06, 2011 at 07:31 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

jcolwell wrote:
That would be pretty much the same as using MF and AF Mamiya 645 lenses on a Mamiya AF body with a digital back. Right?

The same except you would be stuck using Mamiya instead of Contax/ Zeiss! I know which one I would prefer.

May 06, 2011 at 08:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The same except you would be stuck using Mamiya instead of Contax/ Zeiss! I know which one I would prefer.

Me too! I compared Zeiss Hasselblad with Mamiya M645 at 50mm and 80mm, and they're pretty much the same for IQ. OTOH, the Mamiya lenses are much less expensive, much smaller and much lighter. I haven't tried Contax 645, 'cause I'm trying to cut back.

May 06, 2011 at 08:40 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

Didn't realise people were? I almost bought one a few months ago... hmmm, seems prices have gone up a bit since then. Reasons for me were pretty much as mentioned above.

May 06, 2011 at 11:08 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why is everyone looking for Contax 645

weezintrumpete wrote:
3. I've recently started following photographer Jose Villa (a wedding photographer in California). He uses a Contax 645 almost exclusively and gets amazing results. Of course, most of that is because he's amazingly talented! (http://josevillablog.com/).

Very inspiring, he makes beautiful images, thank you for sharing that with us! I don't think he does anything particularly unique, I know a lot of other photographers with a similar style and that produce very similar images. But he does the basics very, very well and keeps things simple - which is the key to so many things in life I guess. Not exactly the sort of wedding images I like, but I really admire his compositions, his use of light at times.

May 06, 2011 at 11:18 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.