Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19              39       40       end

Shooting with Tubes

tmpollard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #1 · Shooting with Tubes

Question, are you putting light on the flower to bring it out? Just wondering you got the background so dark?

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:11 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #2 · Shooting with Tubes

Hi,
if you are referring to my last flower shots (single vs. focus stacked), then I just used center weighted metering on the brighter flower, hence the background was darker.
Thank you for looking.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:07 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.18 #3 · Shooting with Tubes

Some tiny flowers (< ~1 cm) after the rain, taken with the MF micro 105mm f/2.8 AIS + PN-11 tune. ~15% crop.

This time I used the built in flash with a diffuser.

Tiny flower with Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 ais + tube by labecoaves, on Flickr
Tiny flower (~ 1cm diameter) after rain.
D7000 + PN-11 + 105mm f/2.8 Ai-S hand held, buit in flash + diffuser, ISO 400, f/11 at 1/60s. ~ 20% crop.

Tiny flowers with Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 ais + tube by labecoaves, on Flickr
Tiny flowers (< 1cm diameter) after rain.
D7000 + PN-11 + 105mm f/2.8 Ai-S hand held, buit in flash + diffuser, ISO 400, f/11 at 1/60s, ~10% crop.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:14 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.18 #4 · Shooting with Tubes

Closer view of a Sayaca Tanager juvenile.

As my old telephoto lens has a MFD of 5m, so I attached a 27.5mm tube to get focus at ~ 3.5m.

A closer view of Sayaca Tanager juvenile by labecoaves, on Flickr

D3 + PK13 tube + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 K AI'D ED non IF, ISO 3200, f/8 at 1/400s, tripod. ~20% crop. No noise reduction applied.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:43 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #5 · Shooting with Tubes

Thank you Jose for contributing to this thread. As always, your images are impeccable and a joy to see.

I shot a bit yesterday with the 135 f/2 AI-s with the PK-13 tube attached. Here is one humble shot... at f/5.6.

Spring seems anxious to arrive to the San Francisco Bay area.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:56 PM
pixelreaper
• •
p.18 #6 · Shooting with Tubes

These are shot with 70-200 L F/2.8 II and and stacked kenko tubes.

I hope you enjoy them!

Thanks,
Dimitri

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:59 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #7 · Shooting with Tubes

Wonderful Dimitri. I like them all but I'm especially fond of flowers, so the last one really speaks to me. I love the light coming through the petals. Sadly, when I shot with Canon gear I didn't know extension tubes from toothpaste tubes, so it never happened. I discovered tubes only after moving to Nikon and picking up a few manual focus Nikkor lenses. Now I love them. Thanks for sharing...

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:28 AM
Mataz426
• •
p.18 #8 · Shooting with Tubes

asiostygius wrote:
Closer view of a Sayaca Tanager juvenile.

As my old telephoto lens has a MFD of 5m, so I attached a 27.5mm tube to get focus at ~ 3.5m.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8080/8377608562_859588e970_b.jpg
A closer view of Sayaca Tanager juvenile by labecoaves, on Flickr

D3 + PK13 tube + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 K AI'D ED non IF, ISO 3200, f/8 at 1/400s, tripod. ~20% crop. No noise reduction applied.

asiostygius, would you recommend the PK13 over a Kenco tube. I would love to use one on a 300mm f/4 on my D700.
Thank you

Feb 17, 2013 at 04:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #9 · Shooting with Tubes

I'll answer for Jose since he is traveling in Italy at the moment and won't return to FM for awhile.

While Nikon's extension tubes are better built than those offered by Kenko, the DO NOT communicate between lens and camera. Nikon's tubes were designed and manufactured to work with Nikon's manual focus lenses. You will note that Jose shoots almost exclusively with such lenses, as does everyone participating on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread on the Nikon forum.

Since the 300 /4 is an AF lens you would probably prefer to have the camera recognize the lens and permit automatic focusing. Kenko tubes will allow you to do that and Nikon tubes will not.

Happy shooting.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:02 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #10 · Shooting with Tubes

Here's a rather pedestrian shot taken with the 135 f/2 AI-s with a PK-13 tube attached. This was shot hand held and is resized but not cropped.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mataz426
• •
p.18 #11 · Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl wrote:
I'll answer for Jose since he is traveling in Italy at the moment and won't return to FM for awhile.

While Nikon's extension tubes are better built than those offered by Kenko, the DO NOT communicate between lens and camera. Nikon's tubes were designed and manufactured to work with Nikon's manual focus lenses. You will note that Jose shoots almost exclusively with such lenses, as does everyone participating on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread on the Nikon forum.

Since the 300 /4 is an AF lens you would probably prefer to have the camera recognize the lens and permit automatic focusing.
...Show more

CGrindahl Thank you so much for the information. Looks like it's the KenKo for me

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:16 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.18 #12 · Shooting with Tubes

Mataz, I agree with the answer Curtis gave to you. Kenko tubes will work with both the 300/4 af-d and af-s versions.

Curtis, thanks for the kind words; your flower shots are stunning as usual.
Right now after 12 days absent I have to read 39 pages in the NMF thread!

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #13 · Shooting with Tubes

So I'll drop a couple of photos on the thread so it won't lie dormant for too long. These were taken with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s with two tubes attached, the PK-11a and PK-12. Hand held and shot at f/4.

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:38 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #14 · Shooting with Tubes

Shot today with the 135 f/2 AI-s with a PK-13 extension tube attached...

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:19 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.18 #15 · Shooting with Tubes

Lovely colours and textures but some more light in the shadowed areas would have been good.

Harold

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:33 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #16 · Shooting with Tubes

I hope you'll add a few photos Harold. We can use the company...

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:12 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #17 · Shooting with Tubes

I've been a bit preoccupied with a lens on loan and haven't been doing much work with tubes of late, though I did shoot for a few minutes a couple of days ago with the venerable 80-200 f/4.5 AI with the PK-13 attached. Here are a couple of photos taken with that setup.

With spot metering and light falling on the leaves, the background naturally fades into darkness. That is a technique of which I'm quite fond. I know it doesn't suit everyone's taste. I prefer to use natural light, which definitely limits options when doing this kind of work. Enjoy!

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:36 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.18 #18 · Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl wrote:
I hope you'll add a few photos Harold. We can use the company...

I can cope with posting at only one site. A Google image search using the search term:

Harold Gough site: photomacrography.net

will find my images plus, as you go beyond page 2 or 3 of search results, a few by otyher authors, associated with my replies to other topics.

Harold

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:45 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #19 · Shooting with Tubes

e6filmuser wrote:
I can cope with posting at only one site. A Google image search using the search term:

Harold Gough site: photomacrography.net

will find my images plus, as you go beyond page 2 or 3 of search results, a few by otyher authors, associated with my replies to other topics.

Harold

I couldn't resist Harold... here is how YOU light your subjects...

Doubtless, my natural light photography will at times appear under illuminated...

I make no pretensions about being a "macro photographer." I'm a person who shoots hand held with natural light and occasionally add an extension tube so I can get a bit closer to things. I certainly respect those who do the kind of work you're doing at photomicrography.net, but that holds no appeal to me personally. I see how active you are there. I understand that when you've found an online home, you're really not looking for another. FM is that for me, though it is the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread that is my true home. Shooting with Tubes is a diversion from my first love.

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:28 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.18 #20 · Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl wrote:
I couldn't resist Harold... here is how YOU light your subjects....

That's fine, Curtis.

In fact, yes and no. That was last season's rig, developed to get towards MPE-65-like images affordably. That is to take my heavy Elmarit 60mm lens.

I am, day by day, working on a partial successor which will use lighter M42 tubes to go with a smaller lens. In turn, this will not take the clamps used in the illustrated setup. At the moment I am working with Olympus T10 ring and T28 twin macro flash, also mounted in front via a ring. Both of these tend to snag the surroundings of the subject when the FOV is 9-10mm wide (on m4/3). Follow progress here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19782

I started with a Canon A1 in the 1980s, using manual flash (there was no TTL in those days):

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12750

When the Olympus OM2n came out, with TTL flash metering I moved to that.

About 10 years ago I moved to daylight macro and only got back into flash last year when I found I could use my OM T series on my E-P2. Fist indirectly:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16626

Then more directly:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17846

Then more usefully

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18452

Then

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18455

Harold

Edited on Jun 02, 2013 at 04:27 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:30 PM
1       2       3              17      
       19              39       40       end