FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19              49       50       end

Shooting with Tubes

15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Shooting with Tubes

That was me Curtis, some time ago now. Unlike you, i am not even slightly Norwegian - i simply moved here for work from the UK.

Another, this time with the 50mm and tubes, natural lighting:

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:26 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Shooting with Tubes

Ah yes, now I remember. Whether Norwegian or not, your work with tubes is exquisite. This is stunning and demonstrates what it possible when you marry an extension tube with just about any lens. And natural light simply works if what one is seeking is artistry rather than detail. Excellent work

Mar 24, 2013 at 05:13 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Shooting with Tubes

I spent some time with the flowers in my dad's garden a couple of years ago using the 50mm with tubes for abstracts. They look good, but are not really very difficult to do - just slap the tubes on and look around for patterns that are attractive. Flat lighting (overcast or shade) is best, and working handheld rather than on a tripod gives more flexibility. Another couple:

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:17 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Shooting with Tubes

What you call simple still requires the capability of seeing possibilities. It is very different from photographing the whole of something. Getting close allows us the opportunity but we still have to focus on an element that stimulates the imagination. And you're right, shooting hand held gives one much more flexibility to do just that. These shots are both delicious...

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:27 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Shooting with Tubes

I haven't posted these... taken with a 50 f/1.2 AI-s with a 20mm tube attached. The same idea...

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:29 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Shooting with Tubes

I posted these in the Nikon MF lens thread a few days ago - first time I played with focus stacking, and I used tubes.

This is all with the D600 and various combos of Nikon K1/2/3/4/5 tubes, Nikkor 105mm f2.5 and Nikkor-Q 135mm f2.8 (the coffee bean shot). Images are the result of 7 to 9 images stacked in Photoshop. Lighting was done with two strobes and remote triggers. Still have some soft spots in the image, as this was the first time I did any stacking and I realize now that I need to step the focus in even smaller increments to get best results.

detail crop

detail crop

detail crop

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Shooting with Tubes

Stunning work Peter that very much deserves to be seen here as well as on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread. I'm delighted you share these with those of us who frequent this thread, which includes folks shooting a wide variety of systems. Had I discovered tubes before I came to Nikon I would surely have used them with my Canon gear. I think the 135 f/2L would kill with tubes, as it does without tubes...

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:01 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Shooting with Tubes

what I like about the tube plus stacking setup is the simplicity - it's almost no extra weight to carry and you can create pretty decent maro images at a very nice depth of field. I usually carry a tripod anyway, so it's really just the weight of the tubes and some careful shooting of a steady subject.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:18 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Shooting with Tubes

You may actually inspire me to pick up a tripod... both for close work with tubes and some longer exposures, which could be a fun at the water's edge and shooting Golden Gate bridge at night. So many delightful ways to place, especially when exploring Nikon MF glass.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:42 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Shooting with Tubes

I took this a few days ago with the 80-200 f/4.5 AI with a PK-13 tube attached. This is a wonderful lens for doing close work, in part because the push-pull focusing ring is so effective. I find pushing or pulling is easier that turning the focusing ring to gain focus when the focal plane is so thin. It is also very sharp wide open, which makes it just about perfect for this kind of work.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Shooting with Tubes

Good to see i'm not the only one with the idea to get close and look for abstracts. I like the second one - nice colours and patterning.

I should really have a go at focus stacking, but i just don't have the patience for it

This time not so close with the 50mm, dreamy look:

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:03 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Shooting with Tubes

Delicious... I don't have patience for stacking either and I'm not much interested in extending the focal plane. What you're doing is exactly how I prefer to work with tubes. Very evocative for me. Love it!

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:38 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Shooting with Tubes

Shot this today with a 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd with a PK-13 tube attached.

This is a lens twenty of us posting on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass have been moving around the world over the last eleven months. It is my turn. When I'm finished it goes back to its owner in Australia.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:40 PM
fingerda
• • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Shooting with Tubes

Cool. Why tubes? You could use another tool to get shots so close up and that makes them really amazing.

Granddaughter Sydney, 9 years old.

P.S
That was my granddaughter.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:01 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Shooting with Tubes

Some more of the purple flowers above. Again, 70-200mm with tubes:

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:00 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Shooting with Tubes

Are you spot metering these shots? Or have you another means to black out the background?

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Shooting with Tubes

fingerda wrote:
Cool. Why tubes? You could use another tool to get shots so close up and that makes them really amazing.

Granddaughter Sydney, 9 years old.

P.S
That was my granddaughter.

Photographers have many ways of approaching their craft and extension tubes is simply one among many tools available. Their advantage is they can be used with ANY lens. Dedicated macro lenses may do well at infinity, but often they have been designed for close work. Nothing wrong with that. But I can buy an extension tube for $35 and mount it on a $50 lens and get interesting results. I simply enjoy experimenting with what tubes can do.

Sydney has a huge world to explore if she decides she wants to take photos...

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Shooting with Tubes

Curtis,

Those were shot in my living room with the sun providing the backlighting. The black background was a (black) chair that i moved into place after realising that the pics needed a better background than my out of focus living room wall and window. With the highlights so bright the correct exposure naturally clipped the background to pure black.

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:47 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Shooting with Tubes

Great solution handled simply... the best kind. Lovely images.

Here is one taken in situ, a small planter box in the front yard of my neighbor, taken hand held with a 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd, the forty year old manual focus lens I show above, again with the 27.5mm Nikon extension tube, the PK-13.

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:52 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Shooting with Tubes

Another using the 50mm and tubes to get really close. Using a crop body "helps" with magnification too. Shooting handheld makes focus and sharpness a bot of a challenge though.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:41 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password