fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #17111103 « Ancient Bristlecone Pine at Night »

  

gdanmitchell
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Ancient Bristlecone Pine at Night


This is an impressive image.

One question though. If the light on the tree is natural (not from electronic lighting) I don’tthink that the moon would be in that position with its right side illuminated, right? (Correct me if I’m wrong about that… ;-)

(I mention this because, as a photographer who observes moon phases and positions, it jumps right out at me.)

I'm not necessarily against composite image (I've been known to use the technique), including things like photographing a subject twice, before and after sunset. But, assuming my hunch is right, you could try things like reversing the moon image (Since I cannot see any stars, even astronomy buffs may not notice) or even reversing the whole image, perhaps?

By the way, I do appreciate your honest description of what is going on and how you did this. That takes you outside of the group of folks who explicitly or implicitly rely on viewers inaccurately understanding what is going on. I also recognize that you effectively used some pretty sophisticated blending technologies here. :-)



Sep 22, 2026 at 12:04 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Ancient Bristlecone Pine at Night


This is an impressive image.

One question though. If the light on the tree is natural (not from electronic lighting) I don’tthink that the moon would be in that position with its right side illuminated, right? (Correct me if I’m wrong about that… ;-)

(I mention this because, as a photographer who observes moon phases and positions, it jumps right out at me.)

I'm not necessarily against composite image (I've been known to use the technique), including things like photographing a subject twice, before and after sunset. But, assuming my hunch is right, you could try things like reversing the moon image (though astronomy buffs may catch the wrong star configuration, even fewer would catch that) or even reversing the whole image, perhaps?

By the way, I do appreciate your honest description of what is going on and how you did this. That takes you outside of the group of folks who explicitly or implicitly rely on viewers inaccurately understanding what is going on. I also recognize that you effectively used some pretty sophisticated blending technologies here. :-)



Sep 22, 2026 at 12:03 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Ancient Bristlecone Pine at Night


This is an impressive image.

One question though. If the light on the tree is natural (not from electronic lighting) I don’tthink that the moon would be in that position with its right side illuminated, right? (Correct me if I’m wrong about that… ;-)

(I mention this because, as a photographer who observes moon phases and positions, it jumps right out at me.)

I'm not necessarily against composite image (I've been known to use the technique), including things like photographing a subject twice, before and after sunset. But, assuming my hunch is right, you could try things like reversing the moon image (though astronomy buffs may catch the wrong star configuration, even fewer would catch that) or even reversing the whole image, perhaps?



Sep 22, 2026 at 12:01 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Ancient Bristlecone Pine at Night


This is an impressive image.

One question though. If the light on the tree is natural (not from electronic lighting) I don’tthink that the moon would be in that position with its right side illuminated, right? (Correct me if I’m wrong about that… ;-)

(I mention this because, as a photographer who observes moon phases and positions, it jumps right out at me.)



Sep 22, 2026 at 10:10 AM





  Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #17111103 « Ancient Bristlecone Pine at Night »