aboudd wrote:
The nice thing about manipulating channels with IR is the varying results available. I work with 4 different filters as my camera is a full spectrum mod. I find the 720 to be more interesting than some of the others, like the 590, but it of course depends on what I am shooting.
Permission granted. Go ahead and post your version, I'd like to see it. Then you have to tell me how you got to it!
Here's one with the blue sky. I can't recall how I did this. It was one of my first with IR a few years ago.
Here is what I did, took less than a minute each in PS. In PS, add a channel mixer layer over the base image. Open the Red channel and move Red to 0 and Blue to 100%. Similarly, go to the Blue channel and move Blue to 0 and Red to 100%. This generates the R<>B swap images off your base files shown below. For the second set, you can do a full channel swap and generate a softer color version with closer to IR mono foliage. Here you open the red channel and set Red to 0 and both Green and Blue to 50% each, repeat similarly for other channels. Note, Once you do this, you can save these swaps as a preset for one-button convenience later, I name them RB Swap and Full Swap. Finally, I did add a minor saturation and contrast tweak to each after conversion, but this step is of course optional and to your own taste.
The results while similar, will of course will vary depending on the IR pass filter used, generating more significant "color" with the shorter band width filters. I do think if you go above 720, you loose almost all color data, but IDK because I've always preferred 590 or 720 myself depending on my mood Curious to hear your thoughts!
Jul 27, 2026 at 09:49 AM
Previous versions of Jack Flesher's message #17079130 « Infrared - 720nm »