EB-1 wrote: gdanmitchell wrote: EB-1 wrote:
Those are normally containing INR (cylindrical NMC) cells, so they may leak or very rarely explode, but are not likely to swell like LiPo based batteries.
EBH
Good to know.
I had a string of swollen battery issues with third-party batteries some years back, and a bunch of other problems with them, too.
One battery swelled up inside the camera while I was traveling and I had to rap the thing harden than I wanted to on the edge of a counter to get it out. Others swelled in chargers.
I won’t touch the things any more. Not worth the risk for a savings that is minor by comparison to the cost of my equipment and the cost in lost time due to failures. (Once I was on a 9-day photographic backcountry trip in the Sierra Nevada. I had calculated out how many batteries I would need. Then I discovered — on the trail! — that one battery had dies and another got me less then 15 frames before dying.)
Especially with the LP-E6P being relatively low cost (US$80) for an OEM 16Wh battery there is minimal value to the generiacs for modern cameras. I tested several of the batteries with the USB input and they had higher internal resistance by slope of the linear regression. I feel it is probably the BMS, but it's not worth taking the batteries apart and testing the cells separately.
I can understand people with old cameras buying generiacs. In some cases OEM may no longer be in production or cost is sensitive when the whole camera has low value.
EBH
I’m with you on not regarding the use of cheap batteries as a false economy. I understand that when people look at the cost of an OEM battery and the cost of the cheaper third-party alternatives and see the percentage difference, it gets their attention.
However, looked at as a percentage of total investment in photography equipment this difference is pretty trivial, a few tens of dollars in most cases, and a tiny percentage of an overall investment that is likely to be in five figures and perhaps well into that range.
For me, the potential costs in terms of missed opportunities due to premature battery death in the field and/or potential damage to a camera far outweigh the small savings.
Jul 12, 2026 at 11:04 AM
Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #17070554 « Green Extreme Battery »