Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Tarekith's message #16533120 « Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr" »

Tarekith
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

It was a strange journey for my to get to my current camera, the A7CR. First camera was the A7C, always wanted to get into photography but never wanted to carry a big body. When that camera came out, I jumped in the deep end at last

However, within about 18 months I was really missing having an extra dial and button since I'm in manual mode 90% of the time. And I thought I would like a bigger grip too.

Ended up selling the A7C and getting an A7IV, which solved the above issues as well as let me experiment with bigger lenses. The 20-70 became my go to, though the 40G, 28-200, and Sigma 100-400 rotated in pretty often. And no doubt about it, the build quality and feel of the A7IV is a lot nicer than the C series too (IMVHO).

However, over time I definitely noticed myself not wanting to take the camera with me as much as I should, just because it was a bit more of a process to bring the bigger camera gear. And the larger grip on the A7IV was starting to feel TOO big for me (I hand hold for hours, so my hand was cramping once in awhile), which I didn't expect.

So I was really interested in the A7CII when it was announced, for awhile I've been wanting to downside a bit and spend more time with smaller primes. But.... I kept thinking maybe the CR would be the better choice. Where as the CII felt a little more like a boring cross grade from the A7IV just for the sake of size, the CR would be a clear upgrade.

Eventually I made up my mind to get the CR and I couldn't be happier. Definitely easier to just grab and go, the 40G has been living on it most of the time. I did get another 28-60 as well for biking and hiking, along with the 24G and Sigma 90mm. I can fit the camera and three lenses easily in my PD 3L sling, which has been my go to for a long time.

I hesitated so long about if the increased resolution on the CR was worth it, and boy was it ever! I'm honestly more impressed by the increase than I thought I would be. I've always been one to crop a lot, and it's pretty freaking impressive how far in I can crop now and retain a lot of detail. This along with the better IBIS have been a big help for me in getting the shots I want, can't remember the last time I used a tripod.

Thought I would miss the joystick from the A7IV on the CR, and I did but not for the reason I thought. I never realized how often I would press the joystick to recenter the focus area to get ready for the next shot (I do walkabout B&W nature photography mainly). Eventually I realized I could map C2 to Set Focus, so double tapping C2 would recenter the focus area. Nice. Though I will say that it drives me nuts how often the A7CR tells me that the center button is "Set Focus Point On/Off". No way to disable that, so annoying.

The display and EVF are fine on the A7CR, I use both about 50/50 for framing and never have any issues. I definitely notice the decreased resolution from the A7IV, but it's never gotten in my way either. I definitely prefer the EVF off to the side and smaller compared the IV though, just feels more natural to me given that's what I learned on. The display on the CR is noticeably more responsive than either the IV or the OG A7C as well. Start up time is faster on the CR over the C too, which is nice.

All in all it's a pretty damn powerful camera in a size that just feels better in my hand and I know I'll bring with me more places. I don't regret going with the A7IV for awhile, I learned a lot with that camera and it was nice to learn one of the bigger bodies since that's what all the high end Sony cameras use. But I'm glad they make all that power (and more) in a more compact size for people like me too

Anyway, just my thoughts on the A7CR and why I chose it.

Apr 26, 2024 at 05:53 PM

Previous versions of Tarekith's message #16533120 « Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr" »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.