Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of zhangyue's message #16523285 « Official: Leica SL3 Released! »

zhangyue
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Official: Leica SL3 Released!

flash wrote:
There is no way the A1 sensor has USABLE DR of the SL3 (or M11 for that matter). Maybe if you downres everything to 8MP like P2P does. I've been shooting them side by side for the last week. I have 40K frames on my A1 so it's not like I have no experience with it. The SL3 has more resolution, more DR and more pliable files. As does the M11 and A7R5.

P2P's charts have no place in the real world unless you only ever shoot for phone screen output.

According to P2P at ISO 6400 an iPhone 14 has as much DR as the Sony A1.

Agreed on the rest though. Not having EFCS is stupid.

A question though. You need a fast scan speed but you're OK with high res shot? Leica's high res shot is the best implementation besides Olympus for sure but it's still subject to issues with anything moving. Same as a slower scan speed right? So you really need very still subjects for the best HRS results but then a slower scan speed isn't OK? I'm a bit confused by how you deal with this? Can you explain?

Gordon

Actually, M11 is the champion here. My speculation is due to no on sensor PDAF anywhere. M11 has the best sensor I ever used right there FujiGFX100sI and II. I have no experience with Sony A1 or A7R5. (or X2D)

I have to say SL2 sensor at low iso has nothing to complain about. SL2 and Panasonic S1R make that sensor too good 4 years ago. I read many complain about SL2 sensor for high ISO. I don't disagree compare to other market leaders but I don't need high ISO IQ for my photo personally.

I trust your experience and won't align P2P results with personal experience and you are right that you could have seen certain camera will do better than others even with the same DR rating on P2P. However, if we digger deeper on how P2P achieve these results, you will realize that all digital image are really all bunch of raw binary number, DR is very objective and can be reliably tested. Other than potential copy variation, it won't deviate much actually.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 11.56.27 PM by ZHNL, on Flickr

A question though. You need a fast scan speed but you're OK with high res shot?

Good question. these two are really orthogonal to me. For daily photo or hiking or travel, I want fast scan like A9 A1 or Z8 but need at least 1/30s. For dedicated landscape shot, I will not hesitate use high resolution mode any time I can, anything moving like leaf etc are fine to me, those will be blurred due to longer exposure but is part of image to me. (if you don't do auto detection, those will be overlay to create a blur effect) I actually wish leica will have Panasonic s5II implementation. Leica limit 1S exposure (many time a real limit for ND filter shooting) but Panasonic can do 8S and can do handhold high resolution, a feature I believe soon will be available for most manufacture due to AI, fast digital processor and digital vision improvement.

We discussed pixel binning on tripple resolution in other thread. The high resolution is really the same concept, not only increase resolution but also offer 1 stop dynamic range improvement. With that, SL2 can beat any 35mm camera out there if not all. SL3 will be even better if it has one.

Apr 14, 2024 at 02:36 AM
zhangyue
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Official: Leica SL3 Released!

flash wrote:
There is no way the A1 sensor has USABLE DR of the SL3 (or M11 for that matter). Maybe if you downres everything to 8MP like P2P does. I've been shooting them side by side for the last week. I have 40K frames on my A1 so it's not like I have no experience with it. The SL3 has more resolution, more DR and more pliable files. As does the M11 and A7R5.

P2P's charts have no place in the real world unless you only ever shoot for phone screen output.

According to P2P at ISO 6400 an iPhone 14 has as much DR as the Sony A1.

Agreed on the rest though. Not having EFCS is stupid.

A question though. You need a fast scan speed but you're OK with high res shot? Leica's high res shot is the best implementation besides Olympus for sure but it's still subject to issues with anything moving. Same as a slower scan speed right? So you really need very still subjects for the best HRS results but then a slower scan speed isn't OK? I'm a bit confused by how you deal with this? Can you explain?

Gordon

Actually, M11 is the champion here. My speculation is due to no on sensor CDAF or PDAF anywhere. M11 has the best sensor I ever used right there FujiGFX100sI and II. I have no experience with Sony A1 or A7R5. (or X2D)

I have to say SL2 sensor at low iso has nothing to complain about. SL2 and Panasonic S1R make that sensor too good 4 years ago. I read many complain about SL2 sensor for high ISO. I don't disagree compare to other market leaders but I don't need high ISO IQ for my photo personally.

I trust your experience and won't align P2P results with personal experience and you are right that you could have seen certain camera will do better than others even with the same DR rating on P2P. However, if we digger deeper on how P2P achieve these results, you will realize that all digital image are really all bunch of raw binary number, DR is very objective and can be reliably tested. Other than potential copy variation, it won't deviate much actually.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 11.56.27 PM by ZHNL, on Flickr

A question though. You need a fast scan speed but you're OK with high res shot?

Good question. these two are really orthogonal to me. For daily photo or hiking or travel, I want fast scan like A9 A1 or Z8 but need at least 1/30s. For dedicated landscape shot, I will not hesitate use high resolution mode any time I can, anything moving like leaf etc are fine to me, those will be blurred due to longer exposure but is part of image to me. (if you don't do auto detection, those will be overlay to create a blur effect) I actually wish leica will have Panasonic s5II implementation. Leica limit 1S exposure (many time a real limit for ND filter shooting) but Panasonic can do 8S and can do handhold high resolution, a feature I believe soon will be available for most manufacture due to AI, fast digital processor and digital vision improvement.

We discussed pixel binning on tripple resolution in other thread. The high resolution is really the same concept, not only increase resolution but also offer 1 stop dynamic range improvement. With that, SL2 can beat any 35mm camera out there if not all. SL3 will be even better if it has one.

Apr 14, 2024 at 02:28 AM

Previous versions of zhangyue's message #16523285 « Official: Leica SL3 Released! »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.