Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of aboutthelight's message #16152088 « A7rV for BIF? More recent af vs stacked sensors »

aboutthelight
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: A7rV for BIF? More recent af vs stacked sensors

If your main goal is BIF then I would get the A1 without hesitation. You can shoot at 20 FPS full raw or 30 FPS with compressed raw. With the A7RV you are getting 7 with electronic shutter and 10 with mechanical. So best case you are getting half of the photos that you would get with the A1. Worst case you are getting 1/3 of the photos. With BIF shooting split second differences can make or break the shot. Often times in a burst there is one shot with the wing position I am after or sometimes none. I would not want to limit chances with a much lower frame rate. If you browse the link to my IG account which is linked you can see many examples of BIF shots of many different types of birds. Before switching to the A1 I shot the D850. Sure I got lots of flight shots but the added fps of the A1 are such an advantage I can not stress it enough.

As per the sound of the mechanical shutter it is highly likely that the sound will not have much of an impact on the birds for the vast majority of BIF shooting. But it may now and then it absolutely does. I can tell you that when I shot the D850 that I flushed birds with it lots of times. The second the shutter started slapping the birds flew. Silent shutter is a significant advantage of mirrorless cameras and it is not something I would ever go back to. Yes there are birds that don't care but plenty of them do. Why take the chance that you will lose an opportunity? For those who say it does not make a difference I would say that they simply don't have enough experience with enough different species to speak on the subject with confidence. I have photographed hundreds of species of birds throughout the country and I have encountered plenty of birds that hate the sound of the shutter. That does not mean that you can't get photos with a mechanical shutter but that there will be times that the sound of that shutter will make you lose an opportunity that you would not lose with a silent shutter.

Doubt I will get any fans saying this but these forums are a joke most of the time. Most every thread breaks down to a few know it alls getting defensive and mouthing off about stuff they know very little about. Anyone who seriously photographs birds knows how vital a silent shutter can be in certain situations and how much of an advantage the added frames per second can be. I am not talking about a few big slow eagles or crazy slow herons and stuff as BIF shooting either. I really wish people would stop this nonsense and either stay silent or use their brain before they speak Go ahead and let the hate flow. I really don't care!

Jan 23, 2023 at 08:15 PM
aboutthelight
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: A7rV for BIF? More recent af vs stacked sensors

If your main goal is BIF then I would get the A1 without hesitation. You can shoot at 20 FPS full raw or 30 FPS with compressed raw. With the A7RV you are getting 7 with electronic shutter and 10 with mechanical. So best case you are getting half of the phots that you would get with the A1. Worst case you are getting 1/3 of the photos. With BIF shooting split second differences can make or break the shot. Often times in a burst there is one shot with the wing position I am after or sometimes none. I would not want to limit chances with a much lower frame rate. If you browse the link to my IG account which is linked you can see many examples of BIF shots of many different types of birds. Before switching to the A1 I shot the D850. Sure I got lots of flight shots but the hit added fps of the A1 are such an advantage I can not stress it enough.

As per the sound of the mechanical shutter it is highly likely that the sound will not have much of an impact on the birds for the vast majority of BIF shooting. But it may now and then it absolutely does. I can tell you that when I shot the D850 that I flushed birds with it lots of times. The second the shutter started slapping the birds flew. Silent shutter is a significant advantage of mirrorless cameras and it is not something I would ever go back to. Yes there are birds that don't care but plenty of them do. Why take the chance that you will lose an opportunity? For those who say it does not make a difference I would say that they simply don't have enough experience with enough different species to speak on the subject with confidence. I have photographed hundreds of species of birds throughout the country and I have encountered plenty of birds that hate the sound of the shutter. That does not mean that you can't get photos with a mechanical shutter but that there will be times that the sound of that shutter will make you lose an opportunity that you would not lose with a silent shutter.

Doubt I will get any fans saying this but these forums are a joke most of the time. Most every thread breaks down to a few know it alls getting defensive and mouthing off about stuff they know very little about. Anyone who seriously photographs birds knows how vital a silent shutter can be in certain situations and how much of an advantage the added frames per second can be. I am not talking about a few big slow eagles or crazy slow herons and stuff as BIF shooting either. I really wish people would stop this nonsense and either stay silent or use their brain before they speak Go ahead and let the hate flow. I really don't care!

Jan 23, 2023 at 07:22 PM

Previous versions of aboutthelight's message #16152088 « A7rV for BIF? More recent af vs stacked sensors »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.