Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of tsdevine's message #16151529 « A7rV for BIF? More recent af vs stacked sensors »

tsdevine
Upload & Sell: On
Re: A7rV for BIF? More recent af vs stacked sensors

The a7R V will run circles around your a7R III, FWIW. The camera is super snappy in operation, has an improved IBIS over any other Sony camera, has a beautiful EVF (so does the a1), the new LCD which is super flexible, the AI based AF works really well, has true bulb mode, focus stacking...I'm sure I'm missing a few things.

But the a1 stacked sensor is like crack. For me though, I rarely felt I needed that feature based on what I shoot. But if you absolutely must have that, then it's the way to go. It does offer advantages, for me though the other a7R V mapped better to my uses. The BiF example is a scenario where the a1 shines, and the a1 II will be killer once it picks up the AI features of the a7R V.

BTW, here's the right 70% of the frame of a 240 MP 16 shot pixel shift. Truly amazing.

Pixel Shift

It really comes down to which features fit well for what you shoot, both are great cameras.

Isaacheus wrote:

billsnature wrote:
I have both A1 and A7R V. Both great cameras. If I could own only one, it would be A1. I might feel differently if I owned the 600mm f4 GM, but owning only the 100-400 and 200-600 the performance of the A1 especially with 1.4X is just better.

Do you find the a1 faster in operation outside of bif or are they fairly comparable there?

And taking the birding side out of the equation, would you still recommend the a1 or are there advantages for other things in the a7rv?

Thanks

Jan 23, 2023 at 07:47 AM
tsdevine
Upload & Sell: On
Re: A7rV for BIF? More recent af vs stacked sensors

The a7R V will run circles around your a7R III, FWIW. The camera is super snappy in operation, has an improved IBIS over any other Sony camera, has a beautiful EVF (so does the a1), the new LCD which is super flexible, the AI based AF works really well, has true bulb mode, focus stacking...I'm sure I'm missing a few things.

But the a1 stacked sensor is like crack. For me though, I rarely felt I needed that feature based on what I shoot. But if you absolutely must have that, then it's the way to go. It does offer advantages, for me though the other a7R V mapped better to my uses.

BTW, here's the right 70% of the frame of a 240 MP 16 shot pixel shift. Truly amazing.

Pixel Shift

It really comes down to which features fit well for what you shoot, both are great cameras.

Isaacheus wrote:

billsnature wrote:
I have both A1 and A7R V. Both great cameras. If I could own only one, it would be A1. I might feel differently if I owned the 600mm f4 GM, but owning only the 100-400 and 200-600 the performance of the A1 especially with 1.4X is just better.

Do you find the a1 faster in operation outside of bif or are they fairly comparable there?

And taking the birding side out of the equation, would you still recommend the a1 or are there advantages for other things in the a7rv?

Thanks

Jan 23, 2023 at 07:31 AM

Previous versions of tsdevine's message #16151529 « A7rV for BIF? More recent af vs stacked sensors »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.