Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of DeltaSigma's message #15977671 « Nikon Z 40mm f/2 »

DeltaSigma
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Nikon Z 40mm f/2

George,

Great info and pics.
Interesting to see the differences and given this is an 'all plastic' lens. I was surprised to see the metal shim.
It could provide some additional strength to the mount.

Colin

GeorgeBo wrote:
Hi Mary,

Well, I got as far into the the project as I wanted to go.

As Colin pointed out above, even with the lens mount seal, the weak link in water resistance would still be at the focus ring so sort of defeats the effort for me.

But below is what I saw when proceeding.

First, as indicated in arrow 1, the rubber seal is a separate item and not attached to the lens mount ring. It would be an option to try on the 40mm IF Nikon sold spare parts. But...

Arrows 2 and 3 show the main difference. The lens mount screws into a metal base on the FTZ vs plastic (under the shim) on the 40mm. Also indicated by the different mount screws shown in the second picture below.

The one thing that I have my main question around is shown in arrow 4 on the 40mm. Is this shim there for focus adjustment to compensate for tolerances in the plastic mount? Would it still be needed if swapping the metal mount from the FTZ?

In the end, for me it is not worth the effort. The only benefit I see would be more durability in having a metal mount on the 40mm. But in my opinion you would really have to be mounting and un-mounting a lot to see a difference in wear and tear.

IF you could buy the lens mount ring and rubber seal ring separately, I would consider it. But to cannibalize from a perfectly good FTZ to do this is not worth the effort. My $.02

George

mjgphotoz wrote:
Hey George,

Let us know what you find out if you try this little project!

Mary

Jun 27, 2022 at 01:49 AM

Previous versions of DeltaSigma's message #15977671 « Nikon Z 40mm f/2 »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.