Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Ross Martin's message #15933633 « The Challenge of White Sands National Park »

Ross Martin
Upload & Sell: On
The Challenge of White Sands National Park

For many years I put off visiting White Sands due to the out-of-the-way location from where I lived, and finally worked it into a Southwest trip. I found it quite challenging to create here, first because the dunes do not have the dramatic high peaks of those in Death Valley where I’d shot before, and second because the larger number of visitors mars the dunes with tracks. I needed to hike out further at White Sands to find clean compositions, shooting until after dusk. But then the stress kicks in as I have to book it back to the truck in near dark as quickly as my legs, lungs, and heart would allow at 4,235 feet elevation, before the ranger kicks out late visitors like me and locks the gate.

Thank you for checking out the series.

Best,
Ross

May 03, 2022 at 06:16 PM
Ross Martin
Upload & Sell: On
The Challenge of White Sands National Park

For many years I put off visiting White Sands due to the out-of-the-way location from where I lived, and finally worked it into a Southwest trip. I found it quite challenging to create here, first because the dunes do not have the dramatic high peaks of those in Death Valley where I’d shot before, and second because the larger number of visitors mars the dunes with tracks. I needed to hike out further at White Sands to find clean compositions, shooting until after dusk. But then the stress kicks in as I have to book it back to the truck in near dark as quickly as my legs, lungs, and heart would allow at 4,235 feet elevation, before the ranger kicks out late visitors like me and locks the gate.

After a few visits I feel like I’m starting to build a body of work that I enjoy from White Sands, but the challenge remains to return and push myself further. I hope many of you have the opportunity to experience and create in national park, it’s definitely worth the trip (especially when combined with a green chile cheeseburger or other tasty New Mexican fare). Thank you for checking out the series.

Best,
Ross

May 03, 2022 at 03:01 PM

Previous versions of Ross Martin's message #15933633 « The Challenge of White Sands National Park »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.